Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2014, 08:34 AM

14,416 posts, read 22,480,960 times

Advertisements

Some people don't understand the OP's post. He is really not asking us what he is asking us...lol

He is trying to make a point here...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2014, 08:47 AM

4,911 posts, read 3,429,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
I live in the South
I go to NASCAR races
I watch foot ball and baseball on TV
I watch a little golf on TV
I own a couple of pistols and am permitted to carry
I like classical music
I have attended the Opera and ballet in NYC
I like rock music. 70's 80's
I own an American sports coupe with over 400 HP
I have hand built my own 600HP engines
I also own a Japanese car with only 200 HP
I have owned a pickup truck for more than 40 years
I like going to nicer small restaurants
I occasionally go to chain restaurants

How can intelligent people possibly know you politics by what you do or what you own?

On this board I have been called a ******* and a RWNJ because some other poster disagreed with me.
Do you love America? If yes you're a liberal, if no you're a righty

Old 03-13-2014, 08:54 AM

4,911 posts, read 3,429,059 times
Quote:
I live in the South
I go to NASCAR races
I like classical music

How can intelligent people possibly know you politics by what you do or what you own?

On this board I have been called a ******* and a RWNJ because some other poster disagreed with me.
I live in the north
The only sport I have any interest in at all is baseball, and even then I have to be there at the park unless it's a Red Sox post season game.
I like classical music, have a lot of CD's. Recently bought the Arturo Toscanini complete RCA collection. Restaurants I go to a wide variety, chains and not chains, from the cheap greasy spoon places where you half expect to see Dagwood coming in the door to very expensive places where meals can be over $100

Old 03-13-2014, 09:01 AM

1,782 posts, read 2,085,170 times
Quote:
I live in the South
I go to NASCAR races
I like classical music

You are an individual person with a unique outlook on the world that is your own, formed by your life experiences. Labeling an individual into a large homogeneous political party serves nothing but to compromise that person's individuality. Just like with the clique phenomenon in high school, the individual becomes sucked into the group-think of the party and becomes part of "brainless masses" that become easy to manipulate and will relentlessly attack those not in their "club", even if they actually agree on many issues with those outside of the club.

Basically what I'm saying is this: if you want to think for yourself and keep your individual sovereignty, then don't stoop to labeling yourself by some meaningless loosely-defined political affiliation. If you would rather have others do all the thinking for you, and have no original thoughts of your own regarding political issues, then by all means become a "Lib" or a "Righty".

Old 03-13-2014, 09:02 AM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 21 days ago)

29,549 posts, read 16,536,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
Some people don't understand the OP's post. He is really not asking us what he is asking us...lol

Its not really a good point though because the OP post stereotypes of people from both sides.

he basically baits people.

Its like calling someone a #&%&4 $IU%#Y^# and then saying they cant hold a civil conversation,and when they respond to you negatively, you yell " SEE, told you he couldnt be civil".

Old 03-13-2014, 09:29 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,727,707 times
Quote:
I live in the South
I go to NASCAR races
I like classical music

You are bipartisan with a mind of your own. I was center but lean right. I can agree with a few things on the left the problem is liberals always want to tell you and me what I believe and it's way off.

Old 03-13-2014, 10:06 AM
PDD PDD started this thread

8,773 posts, read 18,385,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post

Thanks, some people are just quicker at getting it.

Old 03-13-2014, 10:17 AM

18,782 posts, read 17,356,787 times
There have been a bunch of studies that I think have generally found things like taste in music, sports, cars, etc to be pretty good predictors of whether someone is liberal or conservative. And some more subtle approaches, such as who favors variety, and who favors 'same old same old.' (result might surprise you).

ASU study shows conservatives more adventurous than liberals

There are always exceptions, but we're talking overall here. There are several posters on here who are pro-gun and liberal. But generally the pattern is that conservatives (individualists) want guns in the hands of the individual whereas liberals (collectivists) want guns largely restricticted to the hands of the collective, i.e. police and military.

There are always these exceptions. I am atheist, blue-collar, union member, avid runner. I like classical music and did not watch one football or baseball game all year. I used to be an NBA fanatic and still somewhat follow it. I have owned 2 subarus in my life. Gotta be a lib, right? No I am pretty much untra-conservative.

Old 03-13-2014, 10:29 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,931,071 times
Quote:
Thanks, some people are just quicker at getting it.
Our mass media has the population conditioned to label and categorize people before we even know them. Many people are constantly ready to be on the defense or attack for very vague idealogies that could never possibly explain the true opinions and thoughts of an individual.

That is why I stay far away from political parties and labels and treat everyone as an individual-as I expect the same.

Old 03-13-2014, 11:04 AM

14,416 posts, read 22,480,960 times
I do too ^

You will find that life is much more pleasant if you just live your life like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies