Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2014, 10:17 PM

1,825 posts, read 1,419,211 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trucker7 View Post
I will dispute this. I was born and raised in Puerto Rico, a US territory that strongly leans Democrat. To vote there, you need a Voter ID issued by the State Elections Commission. Any other kind of id, like driver's licenses, passports, work id's, college id's, etc... are not allowed. To vote, you show your voter's id, they check your finger with an UV light and find your name on the rolls, you sign next to your name and dip your finger on invisible UV ink. Only then, they hand you the ballot and allow you inside. There's no early voting, no same-day registration, and no absentee voting except for deployed military or college students abroad.

On top of all that, if you miss a general election, your name is automatically purged from the electoral rolls and you would have to re-register to vote. Despite all of that, voter turnout down there is twice as high as it is in the US and no one's complaining of the strict voting rules.

So much for minorities being hurt by voter id laws.
The facts are not on your side.

How Voter ID Laws Are Being Used to Disenfranchise Minorities and the Poor - Andrew Cohen - The Atlantic
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2014, 10:19 PM

148 posts, read 188,204 times
u guys are looking at it from the wrong light

it should have nothing to do with your education level or intelligence

it should have everything to do with how well u know the issues and how politics work

so i suggest u should have to pass a test that quizzes u on the issues and how politics work in order to be allowed to vote

then maybe a third party candidate may actually stand a chance

Old 03-15-2014, 10:46 PM

32,068 posts, read 15,062,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyMack View Post
That would leave out a far majority of the people in the country ...

I've worked a lot people with Masters and PhDs of various types and with many it was fortunate they got to work and home every day without killing themselves or others.

I don't believe that at all. Do you know the research these students have to do in order to write a 25000 to 50000 words thesis or dissertation. Maybe even more. Could you do that? Maybe their intellect was just over your head and you didn't understand them

Old 03-15-2014, 11:07 PM

8,391 posts, read 6,296,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil75230 View Post
..then shouldn’t we say that only those with Masters Degrees should have the right to vote?

Or at the very least a Masters for national elections, and Bachelors for state elections, Associates degree for county elections and a high school diploma for municipal elections? (plus, any global federal government that may come about in the future would require a Doctorate to vote for global office).

Just a thought.
I view every American has having an equal voice and vote, and that every American should be represented by their government.

I think conservatism as a political ideology really is more aligned with the idea that certain Americans don't count and shouldn't vote.

You see this in their voter suppression activities around the nation.

Last edited by Iamme73; 03-15-2014 at 11:17 PM..

Old 03-15-2014, 11:14 PM

11,143 posts, read 10,711,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
[/b]

I don't believe that at all. Do you know the research these students have to do in order to write a 25000 to 50000 words thesis or dissertation. Maybe even more. Could you do that? Maybe their intellect was just over your head and you didn't understand them
Education does not equal intelligence. I've known people with multiple degrees who had zero "walking around sense" as my grandmother called it.

Old 03-15-2014, 11:27 PM

32,068 posts, read 15,062,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
Education does not equal intelligence. I've known people with multiple degrees who had zero "walking around sense" as my grandmother called it.
So you have walking around experience and put down those who chose higher education. So what. Who is to say you are more intelligent. It's just different experiences. But I bet you can't research and write like them

Old 03-15-2014, 11:34 PM

1,384 posts, read 3,177,189 times
How does that disprove my point? Your article doesn't mention Puerto Rico's experience with voter id at all. And this coming from an author who dedicates more than ½ of his other articles to defending violent criminals rights.

The beauty of voter id laws is that they are color-blind. If anything, rural voters, which tend to lean GOP, might have a harder time getting an ID from a DMV or government office than urban voters, who usually lean Democrat and have a variety of transportation options at their disposal. To say that it is harder for Latinos, like myself, to get an ID than it is for a white person is insulting, almost like implying that we're too stupid to get an id.

Let's compare voter turnout of PR vs. the rest of the USA:
Puerto Rico: 78.2% Participación Electoral 2012
USA average: 58.2% United States Elections Project
Highest: Minnesota 75.7%

Also explain why Puerto Ricans living in PR, where ID is required, vote in higher numbers than Puerto Ricans in FL, where ID is requested, but not required.
Puerto Rico voter turnout: Why is it so high?

Old 03-16-2014, 12:30 AM

11,143 posts, read 10,711,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
So you have walking around experience and put down those who chose higher education. So what. Who is to say you are more intelligent. It's just different experiences. But I bet you can't research and write like them
I'm not putting anyone down. On the other hand, the fact that someone has a degree does not make them inherently more intelligent or logical than someone without a degree. As for researching and writing, I do it for a living, so yeah, I'm pretty sure I can keep up with the typical college grad.

Old 03-16-2014, 12:58 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,897,671 times
worst. topic. ever.

Seriously, just because a person has a degree doesn't mean they have a grasp on politics.

Old 03-16-2014, 01:06 AM

29,407 posts, read 22,005,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
As an educator I will tell you right now, a Master's degree in Education is a joke. Every single undergrad class I had was tougher than every single grad class I had for a Master's in Education.

I had several high school classes tougher than Masters classes in Education.

I would bet that a Master's degree in Education is one of, if not the most obtained grad degrees, because of the millions of teachers nationwide and the pay bump you (union) contractually get from having one.

Sorry, but a Master's degree often means crap.
I have a different perspective............I work in IT...........have seen many a clown who got their "education" but don't even know how to rip open a box and swap out memory. They talk a big game though. Thing is sheet don't work the way it's supposed to all the time and if you can't figure it out you are toast. Many can't figure it out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies