Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2014, 10:24 AM

1,074 posts, read 758,082 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protoman View Post
That's BS! There should be NO free riders. I don't care how old you are. This is just because most tea partiers are over 60. Putting that on other generations to subsidize these lazy people that just sit around and do nothing all day is not productive!
This is simply not true. This is Leftist anti-Tea Party propaganda. Can you find anything to back up this assertion?

I know many, many Tea Party people who are still working and raising a family. Almost everyone of my FB friends. None are retired. Some are professionals. A couple are musicians. One is a pilot that owns an aviation company. At least one is a writer. Some are in real estate. I don't know any that are retired.

Let's just look at a few who are in elected offices: Ted Cruz. Is he over 60? Rand Paul? Mike Lee? Marco Rubio? There are many others.

You are proving that Leftists are liars.

Old 04-08-2014, 10:32 AM

1,074 posts, read 758,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Well, your title makes no sense since Harrier considers himself a member of the Tea Party and he won't be 60 for 23 years.

The Tea Party base is young women and men starting and supporting families who are concerned with high taxes, the size of government, and don't want themselves or their children to be stuck with the bill that big government will ring up and come due in the future.
Exactly! They think this lie works for them somehow. It doesn't. It does make them look stupid ... which they are.

Old 04-08-2014, 11:25 AM

11,086 posts, read 8,544,279 times
Most of the remaining Bots are brainwashed 20 somethings unlikely to ever be able to think without being told.

The leftist damage to them is long-term..

Old 04-08-2014, 11:44 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by borregokid View Post
The Tea Party outfit in the House the Republican Study Committee has come out with their own budget that would put seniors on Medicare vouchers and essentially under the Affordable Care Act with shopping on exchanges starting in 2019. Previously the RSC went along with Ryan and vouchers wouldnt start until 2024 leaving the Tea Party base unscathed. Now they are saying apparently we are tired of being hypocrites and are actually willing to sacrafice with others...oh wait this doesnt have a chance of passing. The Tea Parties favorite program is safe.

House conservatives don’t think Paul Ryan’s plan is austere enough | The Raw Story
If you loo you will see both republicans and democrats proposing stuff they know is going no where. Feeding the maddening crowd is all at as election time draws near. Basically only people happy is those who feel government doing nothing is better tha doing something which spends money.

Old 04-08-2014, 12:06 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
The Ryan Budget and the Jindal Plan are variations of the Koch funded CATO Institute theme, which calls for the immediate elimination of Medicare and instead seeks to provide every senior with a $15,000 annual voucher to buy their own insurance and/or pay for services, as needed.

There's no mention of mandating insurance companies to adequately insure seniors. There's no mention that $15,000 might cover the ER bill for a slip and fall and be woefully inadequate for anything more serious.

Reportedly, Medicare spending per participant averages slightly less than $15,000 a year. What about the half that averages more than $15,000 a year?

11/12 Cancer medications cost more than $100,000 for a year's treatment. Guess which age demographic is more likely to receive a Cancer diagnosis?

Had this been a Democrat proposal, Fox News would have been all over it. Since it's a conservative initiative, and no way to put a positive spin on it for their target audience, it has not gotten a lot of air time. The O' Riley Factor, the # 1 cable news show, dismissed the topic as ridiculous.

Where are the other alternatives including but not limited to means testing, increasing the eligibility age, empowering Medicare to negotiate the price of prescription medications and medical devices, tort reform, tax credits for medical practices that treat seniors and yes, even death with dignity for those diagnosed with fatal illnesses that chose to go out in this manner?

Old 04-08-2014, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by borregokid View Post
People bought hospital insurance back then. Nobody would have covered bypasses, hip, knee, and other surgeries. Interesting though that the Tea Party would put seniors into exchanges after 2019 and yet they oppose the ACA exchanges. Can a Tea Partier explain that?
Pre Medicare, a minority of seniors carried what was then, very limited " hospital insurance". Hospitals were the place the elderly went to die. Heart disease and cancer were certain death sentences for the average man.

Those who were eligible for Medicare, upon it's inception, had already vastly outlived their projected life expectancy. No one in 1965 could have foreseen the advances in medicine that would occur over the next 50 years.

The advances did not happen in a closet. Life expectancy substantially and consistently increased as new medications and procedures were developed. It was inevitable that the baby boom would, one day, turn 65. And despite this, the Medicare Payroll tax has remain unchanged for going on 30 years. It did not matter who sat the oval or held the majority, no one was willing to risk their shot at reelection by pegging Medicare payroll taxes to medical inflation.

In fact, the opposite was done. Medicare was expanded to include prescription medications , Part D. It's a swell benefit that made a heck of a lot of seniors happy, especially considering not one of them had contributed a dime towards the cost. The senior vote carried Bush in 2004. This would have been a swell time to empower Medicare to negotiate the price of prescription meds but that did not happen. All in, looks like a win for big pharma.

It became effective in 2006, just 5 years before the oldest of the baby boom began to turn 65 in 2011.

I swear sometimes, that the GOP has and intends to continue to throw presidential elections.

Last edited by middle-aged mom; 04-08-2014 at 12:56 PM..

Old 04-08-2014, 12:39 PM

9,763 posts, read 10,527,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protoman View Post
That's BS! There should be NO free riders. I don't care how old you are. This is just because most tea partiers are over 60. Putting that on other generations to subsidize these lazy people that just sit around and do nothing all day is not productive!
Focusing on "the bums" will rot your brain. There have always been, and there will always be bums. Human nature. Putting so much energy into this relatively meaningless aspect of human nature is not productive.

Old 04-08-2014, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
My dad received 1 year of Medicare and SS before he died at 66.

I wonder if they will refund me all the money he paid in all those years.
Serious millions of people have term life insurance and most outlive the term. Benefits are not paid unless the insured dies. That's the way it works.

Both of my parents died before age 65. I seem to recall a $200+/- death benefit from SS and nothing from Medicare.

Given my mother's mother and her mother both lived to almost 100 and had not paid a dime into Medicare, it seems to have balanced itself.

Old 04-08-2014, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
My Dad died at age 54. He never collected even one thin dime from all that he paid in to SS and Medicare. My Mom got the standard $255 death benefit from the SSA. A whole $255.

We'll never get a refund of all the money my Dad paid, either.
Statistically speaking, your mother will receive more in Social Security benefits than she paid in unless she personally paid into SS for 30 years. Regardless of what she paid or not, she is likely to receive more Medicare benefits than either she or your father paid for.

Old 04-08-2014, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
It is classified as a tax or it would not be constitutional.

It is a taxed forced upon the employed, through FICA. Those self employed can opt out.

It is an agreement your employer has with the government so he can be in business and make a profit.
I guess if one cheats and does not declare income, this might work.

Explain, please, how to do this without cheating.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies