Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2014, 07:20 PM

20,099 posts, read 16,021,643 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Who was the last President to direct the Sect'y of Labor to change the rules for white collar jobs ?
George W. Bush, by executive order. I have agreed with very little that Obama has done but this one that I do agree with. It needs to be returned to the rules prior to Bush's changes and the pay exemption needs to change to the pre-Bush rate adjusted for inflation. Employers claim people they treat like wage employees except when it comes to overtime, are "managers" to get them exempt status. It may impact the cost of goods but hopefully it will make some of these companies that force employees to work more and more free overtime, while barely paying them a living wage, to instead hire another person or pay the employee extra money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2014, 07:25 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,137,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grsz11 View Post
Not true at all. It would raise the minimum to be excluded from overtime, which is like $24,000 now. Anybody above the new level if one actually is implemented would have no change. Right now anybody who makes over $455 a week can be denied overtime. If that level had risen with inflation from 1975 it would be at $970. Even if the new level is 970, people who earn more than 50K will still be excluded and have no change. You want people to earn money, but not pay them for what they are working?
Very true. Teachers are professionals and many make way less than $50K/year.
Here in Texas some districts start them at $35K and after 10 years they are still not making $50K.

Managers in high end retail (like Macy's and Dillard's) are not making $50K a year so they would be affected.

A college graduate with a BS in computer programming starts off at less then $50K ($40-45K) so they would be impacted as well.

And those are just a few examples.

Old 03-16-2014, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rlarson21 View Post
I dont know but every president gives executive orders. Also this only affects people that are paid a low salary under 50 k a year. For example after college I took a job managing a group home. I got a salary of only 26000 dollars a year but I worked an average of 60 hours per week. My employees often got paid much more than me because they could work overtime at 12 dollars an hour. I had to be on call and work at all hours of the day and they had set schedules. How is that fair? Im the supervisor with a degree and they make more than me and get better work hours? This company took advantage of the salary to ridiculous levels.
That's a given that every President doles out EO's.
You implied that every President directed the Sect'y of Labor to change the laws for white collar exempt.

Old 03-16-2014, 07:30 PM

3,557 posts, read 4,077,809 times
Quote:
Very true. Teachers are professionals and many make way less than $50K/year.
Here in Texas some districts start them at $35K and after 10 years they are still not making $50K.

Managers in high end retail (like Macy's and Dillard's) are not making $50K a year so they would be affected.

A college graduate with a BS in computer programming starts off at less then $50K ($40-45K) so they would be impacted as well.

And those are just a few examples.
Service industries would probably be the most effected. But I don't think teachers would be uncategorized as professionals, as they are now, therefore they would see no change. The problem is employers working around the rules by declaring employees as "executives" for doing things like supervising the grill at McDonalds.

Old 03-16-2014, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
George W. Bush, by executive order. I have agreed with very little that Obama has done but this one that I do agree with. It needs to be returned to the rules prior to Bush's changes and the pay exemption needs to change to the pre-Bush rate adjusted for inflation. Employers claim people they treat like wage employees except when it comes to overtime, are "managers" to get them exempt status. It may impact the cost of goods but hopefully it will make some of these companies that force employees to work more and more free overtime, while barely paying them a living wage, to instead hire another person or pay the employee extra money.
No I don't think so. Bush tripled the lower end wages (from $155 to $455) and put a cap at high end wages ($100K/year).

See..Bush really wasn't all the monster everyone thinks he was.
And it took him 2 years to get it enacted.

http://www.dol.gov/whd/regs/complian...y/preamble.pdf

Old 03-16-2014, 07:40 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,894,359 times
Quote:
No I don't think so. Bush tripled the lower end wages (from $155 to $455) and put a cap at high end wages ($100K/year).

See..Bush really wasn't all the monster everyone thinks he was.
And it took him 2 years to get it enacted.

http://www.dol.gov/whd/regs/complian...y/preamble.pdf
$455 is chump change. That is not managerial in the least-it is not in keeping with the Spirit of the Law regarding what should distinquish exempt and hourly employees.

Old 03-16-2014, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grsz11 View Post
Service industries would probably be the most effected. But I don't think teachers would be uncategorized as professionals, as they are now, therefore they would see no change. The problem is employers working around the rules by declaring employees as "executives" for doing things like supervising the grill at McDonalds.
Teachers work a lot more than 8 hours a day/40 hours a week and you would exclude them even if they make $36K a year ?
They are considered professional employees and white collar.

From the EO and the 2004 Bush changes it WOULD include any white collar professional worker.

Old 03-16-2014, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
$455 is chump change. That is not managerial in the least-it is not in keeping with the Spirit of the Law regarding what should distinquish exempt and hourly employees.
Heck of a lot better than the $155 it was before.
And that was $155 since 1975.

Old 03-16-2014, 07:59 PM

3,557 posts, read 4,077,809 times
Quote:
Teachers work a lot more than 8 hours a day/40 hours a week and you would exclude them even if they make $36K a year ?
They are considered professional employees and white collar.

From the EO and the 2004 Bush changes it WOULD include any white collar professional worker.
I would love for teachers to make more, all I am saying is that I don't know if they would be effected. There was a discussion on the teachers forum where most seemed to think no. Because they very much are professional, white collar employees. The changes in the law are meant to target those that employers get around the law by calling them executives but are really just blue collared, salaried workers. From what I have read about the proposal, the status of teachers wouldn't change, though I am not 100% sure.

Old 03-16-2014, 08:05 PM

If the limit was raised to the equivalent of $50K a year the policy institute estimated that about 10 million workers would be affected by this change.

What the new overtime rules mean for me
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies