Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2014, 09:12 PM

34,274 posts, read 19,316,264 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
There is many hurdles to overcome before computers like Watson become common place and that is decades away but make no mistake they will become common.
Hurdles like including the urban dictionary in its database which caused it to....get a bit of a potty mouth. LOL.

They had to remove it.

In 2011 the cost of watsons hardware was $3 million.

30 years from now it will be around....$91. Moores law is amazing. Basically the price of a high end calculator.

Yeah. Think about that.

10 years later...$2.81 the price of a cheap plastic watch today.

Old 03-18-2014, 11:08 PM

1,825 posts, read 1,416,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Hurdles like including the urban dictionary in its database which caused it to....get a bit of a potty mouth. LOL.

They had to remove it.

In 2011 the cost of watsons hardware was $3 million.

30 years from now it will be around....$91. Moores law is amazing. Basically the price of a high end calculator.

Yeah. Think about that.

10 years later...$2.81 the price of a cheap plastic watch today.
IIRC the Saturn V rocket computer has less computing power then a smart phone.

Old 03-18-2014, 11:26 PM

6,105 posts, read 5,977,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CravingMountains View Post
And the 1% will get richer.....and richer.....and richer.....and richer.

Then the desparate impoverished masses will simply rip their balls off. After which we will get rid of this useless social and economic system, Marx was right we only have to break our chains. Capitalism is unnecessary in a world where technology ends scarcity and the need to choose who gets what.

Old 03-18-2014, 11:53 PM

6,105 posts, read 5,977,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
historically, technology has never been correlated with increased unemployment. Look at the transition from horse to car that occurred in the US from about 1925-1945. Millions of jobs as farriers, harness-makers, etc. were destroyed.

If an 18 year old in 1930 decided to follow his dad into the farrier trade, he was in for a rude awakening. However, millions of jobs in Detroit, as well as mechanics, auto insurance agents, gas station clerks, car salesmen, car wash attendants....list goes on...were created, as if out of thin air.

Western civilization has been through socio-economic revolutions several times since the 15th century. Up until now every change has destroyed the old ways and replaced them with the new. When millions were squeezed off the land the new cities with industry awaited. When the age of steel and railroads was done , automobiles, nadio and avaiation awaited us. The same with medical technology, life sciences, microelectronics and computers. But now what will we do when the new machines now replace the masses of workers but no longer need the human mind or touch? Maybe a mass die off is in order, the dead don't need jobs or feel bad when they are made redundant and only a small number of very creative people will be needed anyway to supply what the machines can't provide. In a world running out of food, water, and other resources a drastic drop in demand and consumption may be what is needed to save this spark of intelligence on this world we call Earth. This may be the race which determines whether the 21st Century will be man's last. If we become our machines, intelligence may still continue for a long time to come. If we don't and fail, the spark of man's intelligence will wil flicker out. Either way man's thread will come to its end. Arthur C. Clarke once noted we are living on borrowed time.

Old 03-19-2014, 12:35 AM

8,278 posts, read 6,256,657 times
Quote:
Robots will not be able to "do every conceivable job a human can." Will robots be able to preach a sermon? Will robots be able to draw a cartoon? Will robots be able to close a sale? Will robots run for political office?
Well on two of those they already kind of do. Drawing cartoons, hello, Pixar, sure the initial models are created by an artist, but the rest is all software. Closing sales? Some of the best currency traders are entirely automated, they're making sales at incredible rates based on their parameter sets.

Quote:
It is not a completely different scenario. It's the same scenario of the last couple centuries, where technology leverages human endeavor.
Except in the coming scenario technology replaces human endeavor, which is significantly different to leveraging.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CravingMountains View Post
This is one of the absolute stupidest posts I have ever heard. The most pathetic attempt at fear mongering I have read and it isn't even politics based.

The day that humans trust machines to cut them open and perform surgeries on them is looooooooong way off. Get YOUR thinking right.
I already have, I had Intralase Wavefront Lasik, other than putting the retainers on the whole process was automated. Speaking of which my pain meds when I had my appendix out in 1999 were automated too (with the "more" button). I'd certainly trust a machine to do open heart surgery on me if the machine was approved. The machine cannot get distracted by things outside of its function, it doesn't suffer hang-overs, doesn't take anti-anxiety or anti-depressants drugs, can monitor everything at the same time, if it's using imaging it knows ahead of time what my specific anatomy is. Why would I not trust that? Because it's not breathing? I trust a bunch of servers to keep track of my money, and where if a surgical machine messes up I don't need to worry about it, if those servers mess up I'm only going to wish I was dead, not actually be dead.

Old 03-19-2014, 02:30 AM

4,373 posts, read 3,223,282 times
You still need humans to perform maintenance on said robots and machines. I don't see what the big deal about getting more in touch with technology of today going into the future.

Old 03-19-2014, 05:58 AM

41,815 posts, read 50,926,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Egbert View Post
IIRC the Saturn V rocket computer has less computing power then a smart phone.
The Saturn V computer was no more powerful than a pocket calculator from the 80's. A modern home computer is about 1 million times faster and a smart phone probably falls around the 500K faster area.

Last edited by thecoalman; 03-19-2014 at 06:06 AM..

Old 03-19-2014, 06:02 AM

41,815 posts, read 50,926,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adiosToreador View Post
You still need humans to perform maintenance on said robots and machines.
For the time being there will certainly be an increase in employment in the robotic field but those jobs can and will be taken by robots.

Old 03-19-2014, 06:15 AM

30,030 posts, read 18,600,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwruckman View Post
Then the desparate impoverished masses will simply rip their balls off. After which we will get rid of this useless social and economic system, Marx was right we only have to break our chains. Capitalism is unnecessary in a world where technology ends scarcity and the need to choose who gets what.

Wrong-

What we have is a population problem- too many people for available jobs. Now................ is this not the "liberal dream"- population reduction? Save the planet?

The problem is not automation and technology, it is TOO MANY PEOPLE. This holds true for the US as well. With smaller populations, there can still be near full employment and use of automation. Embracing a failed and flawed political ideology like Marxism is treating a symptom, not the disease.

Old 03-19-2014, 06:19 AM

16,433 posts, read 22,156,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Wrong-

What we have is a population problem- too many people for available jobs. Now................ is this not the "liberal dream"- population reduction? Save the planet?

The problem is not automation and technology, it is TOO MANY PEOPLE. This holds true for the US as well. With smaller populations, there can still be near full employment and use of automation. Embracing a failed and flawed political ideology like Marxism is treating a symptom, not the disease.
It is said that the Illuminati's goal (elite, globalists, or whatever you want to call them) is a world population of 500,000. That means only one in seven of us fit into their plan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.