Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2014, 03:55 PM

278 posts, read 277,337 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suncc49 View Post
Poland has a long history of resistance. They fended off the Ottoman's !
Defeated Russia a few times as well. One of the only militaries in history to control Moscow.

Unless tag teamed by 3+ nations, Poland is able to fend off invasions
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

5 posts, read 7,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
I don't think Russia wants to gobble up anything. The Crimean ports are important to Russia both economically and militarily. The Ukraine has been increasingly unstable. The Crimea was part of Russian territory until the 1950's, when it was gifted to the Ukraine. Russia/Putin has been trying to keep the Ukraine stable. He backed the last President in an effort to stabilize the country. When that went up in smoke, he has a problem. The Crimea is an important asset. It was always self-autonomous in regards to the Ukraine, enjoying a separate legislature and having a predominantly Russian culture. The people of the Crimea identified more with Russia than with the Crimea. The previously weak Ukrainian governments had allowed Russia to use the ports to the point of Russian domination anyway. Russia/Putin didn't want to see that area become politically unstable, which was possible if the Ukrainians were unable to put together a stable government. Rather than take the chance, Putin intervened to protect what he regarded as a Russian asset. The Ukrainians regard the Crimea as a Ukrainian asset. But the people of the Crimea seem to prefer Russia to the Ukraine, and who can blame them, with the current problems besetting the Ukraine?

Poland and Lithuania are acting in their own interests by going forward with this alliance with the Ukraine. First, its a clear sign to Russia that further aggression will be met with resistance. Secondly, it's an action that can help stabilize the Ukraine, bringing it closer to the West, to NATO, to the European Union. And that is good for Poland and Lithuania, who don't want the instability of the Ukraine spreading to them.
LOL...I'll have whatever it is you're smoking.

42,732 posts, read 29,878,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
They know they are next............and were under the Iron Curtain before and don't want it again. Liberals for some reason want that all to happen all over again as they support us doing nothing. Millions were killed.........I guess liberals figure as long as it's not me they don't care.......like usual.
More unfounded scaremongering.

Old 03-18-2014, 04:06 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
Quote:
They know they are next............and were under the Iron Curtain before and don't want it again. Liberals for some reason want that all to happen all over again as they support us doing nothing. Millions were killed.........I guess liberals figure as long as it's not me they don't care.......like usual.
Yep.I don't care.

BTW...I don't see you putting on a.uniform and volunteering to go fight for a bunch of East Slabovians.

Old 03-18-2014, 04:09 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,005,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Yep.I don't care.

BTW...I don't see you putting on a.uniform and volunteering to go fight for a bunch of East Slabovians.
I had a "uniform" on before. And yes you prove my point by not caring about anyone but yourself. Things continue on the same pace that uniform will have to come out to fight our government. Time will tell.

Old 03-18-2014, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
More unfounded scaremongering.
Unfounded.........did you even read the OP? It is not unfounded...........Poland is saying we won't bow out without a fight. How is that unfounded?

Old 03-18-2014, 04:16 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
Quote:
I had a "uniform" on before. And yes you prove my point by not caring about anyone but yourself. Things continue on the same pace that uniform will have to come out to fight our government. Time will tell.
I'm not putting on a uniform ever again unless THIS country is directly attacked.

I'm not gonna risk American lives for a bunch of Eastern Europeans that would never risk their lives for us.

We're risking lives now for Afghanis...what's that getting us?

Old 03-18-2014, 04:56 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,165,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamford View Post
Poland’s defence ministry has announced it will re-launch plans to establish a joint Polish, Ukrainian and Lithuanian military brigade.
You left out an important part, namely that Poland's chains are being yanked by the US and lapdog UK.

It should correctly read: "Poland's defence ministry has announced -- after threats, coercion and intimation from the US and its lapdog Britain --- it will re-launch plans to reestablish a joint Polish, Ukrainian and Lithuanian military brigade."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesons View Post
NATO hasn't been a defensive alliance for some time, or are you forgetting NATO actions in Kosovo, Iraq, Afghanistan and NATO involvement in Syria.
You forgot Libya.

NATO action in Afghanistan could technically be justified, since the US is a NATO member and an attack on any NATO member is an attack on all NATO members.

However, actions in Kosovo-Metohija, Syria and Libyan violated the NATO Charter, and mostly likely the attack on Iraq did too.

Quote:
If the Polish set up a brigade with Ukraine, then the Poles are without doubt willing to go to Ukraine's aid, and any potential conflict between Poland and Russia does concern NATO.
Poland has no intent of aiding Ukraine.

A conflict between Poland and Russia does concern NATO if Poland is attacked, and Polish forces in Ukraine "attacked" (snicker) by Russia would invoke the NATO.

You need to work on your international relations.

Quote:
I agree, it does have echoes of WW1,...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adhom View Post
Even if Russia does manage to somehow gobble up all the Eastern bloc countries,
Quote:
Gambler’s Fallacy
Quote:

This fallacy occurs when the gambler falsely assumes that the history of outcomes will affect future outcomes.

Fallacies*[Internet Encyclopedia of Philosophy]

What are you two, the I don't understand geo-strategy twins?

Quote:
... as the potential for large scale conflict would be extremely dangerous.
There is no potential.

Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
Oh good! You're here! Care to get back on the insurance thread and answer my question? You ran away.
C-D's Queen of Dodging & Deflecting calling someone out...

....that's amusing....

Mircea

Old 03-18-2014, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
I'm not putting on a uniform ever again unless THIS country is directly attacked.

I'm not gonna risk American lives for a bunch of Eastern Europeans that would never risk their lives for us.

We're risking lives now for Afghanis...what's that getting us?
What is that getting us...........the worlds reserve currency.......pay attention.

Old 03-18-2014, 10:28 PM

6,104 posts, read 5,990,747 times
Quote:
NATO hasn't been a defensive alliance for some time, or are you forgetting NATO actions in Kosovo, Iraq, Afghanistan and NATO involvement in Syria.

If the Polish set up a brigade with Ukraine, then the Poles are without doubt willing to go to Ukraine's aid, and any potential conflict between Poland and Russia does concern NATO.

I agree, it does have echoes of WW1, a hundred years ago, when bickering and opposing pacts drew Europe in to World War. Which is why all diplomatic options must be exhausted in an attempt to avert war.
Whilst the British have already made it clear under Foreign Secretary William Hague and Prime Minister David Cameron that the last thing they want is opposing sides in relation to NATO and Russia engaging each other in Ukraine, as the potential for large scale conflict would be extremely dangerous.

I would like to add that the events that dragged Europe into the First World War illustrate the danger when one feels compelled to go to war because of prior commitments or because earlier events have left a chip on ones shoulder. Toss in elements like national pride, unreasoning religion or nationalism and all it takes is a spark. Austria-Hungary's movement into the Balkans with the collapse of Ottoman Turkey which was opposed by that Protector of the Slavs (Russia) and the assasination of Archduke Ferdinand (Crown Prince of Astria-Hungary) was the spark. War became so thinkable and so obvious. Now do we really want to fight5 a war if Russia seeks to restore the Russia of a earlier time?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies