Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2014, 08:27 PM

8,732 posts, read 6,780,715 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Now that idiot outed himself, watch courier bicyclists get hauled over and searched by cops. He just gave them their PC.
From the article:

Quote:
(The names of the company and those interviewed for this story have been changed to protect their identities.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2014, 08:47 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,871,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chin_Muzik_NJ View Post
Only for somebody who is trying to drag the race angle from every isolated incident.

But hey, when your only tool is a hammer...everything begins to look like a nail.
Nope I don't. But I do find it interesting the current narrative is praising some people for drug related businesses. I've been saying since I was 8 or 9 that if you are a successful drug dealer, you are likely a good entrepreneur.

The thing is, we are calling these guys entrepreneurs, and the non-whites dealers. Why isn't everyone who hustling drugs (non-violently) praised for their business acumen?

One of the reasons these guys are so "successful" is because they can float around under the radar, because "drug dealers" are black or brown. Reality is, most people buy drugs from people who look like them in their own neighborhoods. It's logical hipsters are selling to other hipsters.

What isn't logical is how the war on drugs ignores this reality, and arrests the black and brown guys for those same "offenses."

Old 03-19-2014, 11:36 AM

1,634 posts, read 1,209,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Nope I don't. But I do find it interesting the current narrative is praising some people for drug related businesses. I've been saying since I was 8 or 9 that if you are a successful drug dealer, you are likely a good entrepreneur.

The thing is, we are calling these guys entrepreneurs, and the non-whites dealers. Why isn't everyone who hustling drugs (non-violently) praised for their business acumen?

One of the reasons these guys are so "successful" is because they can float around under the radar, because "drug dealers" are black or brown. Reality is, most people buy drugs from people who look like them in their own neighborhoods. It's logical hipsters are selling to other hipsters.

What isn't logical is how the war on drugs ignores this reality, and arrests the black and brown guys for those same "offenses."
And there are tonssss of "black hipsters"....

Don't you live in Cali? Surely you've only seen a hundred thousand of them. I know so many black dudes that don't even have a detention record let alone a criminal one...

But yes, the war on drugs is a real phenomenon that does affect mostly black male youths. But, make no mistake....for that War on Drugs to actually WORK the LEO's and DEA need liaisons to facilitate it all.

Urban sprawl is a conducive environment for a game of drug busts which

They aren't just planting drugs on people.

As far as the "if it's white, it's just good entrepreneurship". This is WEED we are talking about...it's quasi-LEGAL at this point. And there are black dudes getting in on the game....I know two black dudes who operate dispensaries in LA alone. I guess it's white privilege that weed is less stigmatized now?

In most states possession under 50 grams is a fine. For example, in NJ, you're not going to jail unless it's over X amount AND packaged with intent to distribute. So basically what I'm saying is that a messenger can actually be transporting an OUNCE of weed (as long as it's not broken down into dubs or dimes) and actually be frisked and arrested for possession and will never have a record.

A.k.a something you would never hear about in the news because it happens all the time.

A.k.a you're looking for a nail to hammer that just isn't there

New York Laws & Penalties

Look, there are the marijuana penalties of NYC... anything under 25g, and no distinction made as to how its packaged, is a fine....even a third offense doesnt carry mandatory jail. Yes, this is solely POSSESSION but usually surveillance of hand-to-hand transactions are done over an extended time frame as sting ops. So this may have been the case during the time HuffPo posted this stupid piece.

Either way, the charge of "distribution" is very easy to subvert if you're a bike messenger. "Yes, officer...this is my personal stash"

I know, I've paid the money happily.

Last edited by ChestRockwell; 03-19-2014 at 11:46 AM..

Old 03-19-2014, 06:38 PM

2,817 posts, read 3,460,887 times
At least they are going green

Old 03-19-2014, 07:07 PM

1,634 posts, read 1,209,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chin_Muzik_NJ View Post
Yes, this is solely POSSESSION but usually surveillance of hand-to-hand transactions are done over an extended time frame as sting ops. So this may have been the case during the time HuffPo posted this stupid piece.
I just want to clarify this statement...

It was just to illustrate that we have no idea if these "messengers" are under surveillance to begin with. They want to get the kingpin charge and that takes a while.

If they weren't under heat, they certainly are now, no matter what name pseudonym they use.

That is provided the story is legitimate of course. This could possibly be the conjecture of one of the many losers at HuffPo.

The fake story about the "redneck" that put his hands on that space cadets "ambiguously garbed" son was a nice bomb that HuffD'oh never checked out.

And the failed math for the $15/hr proposal for McDonalds workers was more egg on their face.

Yea, I'd take HP's brand of sensationalism with extra grains of salt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies