Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2014, 06:31 AM

1,730 posts, read 1,362,280 times

Advertisements

I'll just say what I've always said: the crap hits the fan don't try to hide behind me, gun grabbers. You're on your own, how you handle it is entirely up to you.
Grabbers would honestly be amazed at how many people do actually carry.
Yeah, even in a bar. And most don't even shoot their toes off!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2014, 09:02 AM

1,280 posts, read 1,396,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
Yes, I did read the article, in its entirety. I agree with the bar owner. To repeat myself, I think taking guns into bars is just asking for common bar fights to turn into gun fights. If you think you have to carry a gun around, lock it in the car before you go into a bar.
Have you seen any local stories showing problems with it? It's legal in both Maine and West Virginia, so there should be a lot of them. It's actually legal in 45 or so of the states, and the problems just don't materialize with the CCW permit holders. They're the ones who most care about their legal right to carry and follow the rules so as to not compromise that.

Old 03-20-2014, 09:04 AM

395 posts, read 546,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
this isn't about different levels of discrimination and which ones you think are okay.
My point is discrimination takes many forms, and it should be left up to a business owner to decide whom they serve, just as you do decide who can come into your home.
refusing to allow weapons in a bar is not discrimination...it is a safety issue.

Old 03-20-2014, 09:23 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,198,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auntie77 View Post
refusing to allow weapons in a bar is not discrimination...it is a safety issue.
I understand your position,and I believe a business can refuse admission to anyone for any reason, but what part of the 2nd Amendment limits where you can exercise your right to keep and bear arms?

Old 03-20-2014, 09:30 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
My basic belief is if you are a business serving the public you have to admit all of the public that can pay for your services. I also believe that guns and excess alcohol are, like booze and bikes or cars, a very dangerous combination. Should a bar owner that is already obligated to call a cab to take a really drunk customer home also obligated to disarm the person first?

Old 03-20-2014, 09:36 AM

23,862 posts, read 24,111,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
You do realize I am on your side of the debate, correct?
Did you read my post as an attack?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
I think it's highly irresponsible to carry a gun at any time while drinking. No one with a head on their shoulders would do it.
I don't drink, so it's not a problem for me, but I agree. Bad idea. I was merely pointing out that it's perfectly legal here to carry a gun into a bar and drink.

Old 03-20-2014, 09:52 AM

23,862 posts, read 24,111,507 times
Quote:
his point is that in a college town like Clemson, which is crawling with police and cameras and security personnel...there is simply no need to be concealing a weapon
Police and cameras and security personnel are generally only useful after a crime has been committed. Police have no duty to protect you - at all. Their job is to collect evidence and arrest perpetrators. Cameras only document - they don't stop bad guys.

Old 03-20-2014, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
I understand your position,and I believe a business can refuse admission to anyone for any reason, but what part of the 2nd Amendment limits where you can exercise your right to keep and bear arms?

When it impacts or infringes upon the right of another citizen...as in the case of the business owner who does not want guns in his building.

Old 03-20-2014, 09:59 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,198,807 times
Quote:
When it impacts or infringes upon the right of another citizen...as in the case of the business owner who does not want guns in his building.
He has the right to refuse service to anyone.

Old 03-20-2014, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
My basic belief is if you are a business serving the public you have to admit all of the public that can pay for your services. I also believe that guns and excess alcohol are, like booze and bikes or cars, a very dangerous combination. Should a bar owner that is already obligated to call a cab to take a really drunk customer home also obligated to disarm the person first?

Actually... it might be interesting to see a test of this in court, as gun owners are not currently "protected"

The Right to Refuse Service: Can a Business Refuse Service to Someone Because of Appearance, Odor, or Attire? | LegalZoom

The Federal Civil Rights Act guarantees all people the right to "full and equal enjoyment of the goods, services, facilities, privileges, advantages, and accommodations of any place of public accommodation, without discrimination or segregation on the ground of race, color, religion, or national origin."
The right of public accommodation is also guaranteed to disabled citizens under the Americans with Disabilities Act, which precludes discrimination by businesses on the basis of disability.

In addition to the protections against discrimination provided under federal law, many states have passed their own Civil Rights Acts that provide broader protections than the Federal Civil Rights Act. For example, California's Unruh Civil Rights Act makes it illegal to discriminate against individuals based on unconventional dress or sexual preference.

In the 1960s, the Unruh Civil Rights Act was interpreted to provide broad protection from arbitrary discrimination by business owners. Cases decided during that era held that business owners could not discriminate, for example, against hippies, police officers, homosexuals, or Republicans, solely because of who they were.

It would be interesting to see if pro-gun activitists try to sue using the Unruh Civil Rights Act in this case. I don't think they would have a chance, given precedent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies