Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2007, 04:54 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,470,227 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
The reason behind giving home owners a tax deduction is to help stimulate the economy. New homes put people to work, from carpenters, plumbers, masons, electricians, etc. How many jobs do renters create? None.
This is probably the most frequently raised reason for keeping the mortgage interest deduction in place. The construction trades are a backbone of the middle and even upper-middle classes, and anything that undercuts new home sales will impact seriously on employment in those. Many of these folks are having rather lean times just from the credit crunch. If that's not cleared up by Spring, there may be serious issues there.

Quote:
Obtaining a loan simply for the purpose of getting a tax deduction is rather silly, since you still have to pay back the loan and the interest. The few thousand dollars you get to reduce your taxable income by is hardly compensation for the interest you have to pay back on the loan.
That's all true, but if the effective rate of borrowing falls below the effective rate of return on investing, you've got free money coming in. Free money is the best kind. Hence, it can at times be sensible to borrow just because the interest on the loan is tax-deductible...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2007, 08:58 AM

5,341 posts, read 14,137,403 times
Quote:
You answered your own question. The mortgage tax deduction IS the incentive to buy.

No, because homes do not always increase in value. Currently there are numerous homes that are assessed at a lower value than what an owner purchased them for just a few years ago. If those home owners were to sell their homes now, they would be taking a loss.

Mortgage payments are also not always consistent. It depends on the type of loan you obtained. If, for example, you obtained a variable rate loan to purchase a home in 2005, not only are your payments going to substantially increase, but the value of your home is going to go down.

The reason behind giving home owners a tax deduction is to help stimulate the economy. New homes put people to work, from carpenters, plumbers, masons, electricians, etc. How many jobs do renters create? None.

Obtaining a loan simply for the purpose of getting a tax deduction is rather silly, since you still have to pay back the loan and the interest. The few thousand dollars you get to reduce your taxable income by is hardly compensation for the interest you have to pay back on the loan.
Thank you Glitch. You are right on.

I would like to know how old PG is. How are twenty & thirty & even forty somethings going to own their home free and clear???? If we had to buy homes without mortgages the homeownership rate would probably be in the 10% range instead of 70%+ and the US would never have prospered like it has in the past 60 years.

Old 12-06-2007, 09:08 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,768,722 times
As I have suggested elsewhere, I think we should throw out most of the existing individual tax system and replace it with an all income from all sources and deduct the first $150 grand and pay a graduated tax on the rest. That should relieve most people of a Federal tax burden and eliminate the market distortions created by things like deducting mortgage interest.

Old 12-06-2007, 01:20 PM

101 posts, read 254,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
As I have suggested elsewhere, I think we should throw out most of the existing individual tax system and replace it with an all income from all sources and deduct the first $150 grand and pay a graduated tax on the rest. That should relieve most people of a Federal tax burden and eliminate the market distortions created by things like deducting mortgage interest.
While I agree fully with the intent of your statement, do you realize that you are pretty much shifting the tax burden to people who make over $150 grand a year? If the super rich see high taxation, they will flee America in droves and take their money with them. Unless you are like me, moving to Pennsylvania and converting to the Amish faith, you might see a lot of hardship if the rich leave in droves.

Old 12-06-2007, 01:32 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,093,273 times
Quote:
You answered your own question. The mortgage tax deduction IS the incentive to buy.

No, because homes do not always increase in value. Currently there are numerous homes that are assessed at a lower value than what an owner purchased them for just a few years ago. If those home owners were to sell their homes now, they would be taking a loss.

Mortgage payments are also not always consistent. It depends on the type of loan you obtained. If, for example, you obtained a variable rate loan to purchase a home in 2005, not only are your payments going to substantially increase, but the value of your home is going to go down.

If getting a tax writeoff is the only incentive to buy.. then we have bigger troubles.
If no one lives off of rentals.. I'll inform the guy who owns the apartment buildings down the street, those who invest in NNN leases, that that they need to get a job.

People buy vs rent because they will one day have an asset vs nothing.

Thats enough of an incentive for me. Rarely does "tax writeoffs" come into account when the average citizen begin thinking of buying a home (ok, it might allow them to actually buy a bigger house). It may come into play for the real estate investor, but the average citizen takes the tax writeoff as a bonus, not THE incentive to buy..

Last edited by pghquest; 12-06-2007 at 01:56 PM..

Old 12-06-2007, 01:36 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,093,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimtheGuy View Post
Thank you Glitch. You are right on.

I would like to know how old PG is. How are twenty & thirty & even forty somethings going to own their home free and clear???? If we had to buy homes without mortgages the homeownership rate would probably be in the 10% range instead of 70%+ and the US would never have prospered like it has in the past 60 years.
I am mid 30's and my home is paid for, free and clear, along with my cadillac, which I got a car loan for. I did get a mortgage, never did I state that people shouldnt get a mortgage. Dont change what I said. I bought what I could afford, I paid it off.

This is one guy who is debt free. I did not buy a house for the tax incentives, I bought a house so I could sell it one day, pocket my "bank payments" by cashing out instead of what others would have spent in rent.

Old 04-07-2011, 04:50 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,442,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normalguy View Post
Excellent point. Actually, people used to take out home equity loans to try and change a non-deductible interest to a deductible interest. God, isn't our tax code like a patchwork quilt? I am not sure about the founding fathers, but I am sure the quilting mothers would be proud of us.
This is the funniest thing I've ever read. I think it makes bumping this thread worthwhile.

Also, I think rent needs to be deductible, at least a percentage that makes it equivalent to the mortgage interest deduction.

Old 04-07-2011, 05:13 PM

27,130 posts, read 15,308,615 times
It is not to the tax advantage of all homeowners to claim the interest on their home mortgage.

Not all homeowners thus get a benefit from it.

I don't reall ever hearing of Renters paying interest on their rent either.

Old 04-07-2011, 05:30 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,901,622 times
Almost half the people pay no income tax at all. They would not benefit, nor those whose rent plus other deductions are below the standard deduction. The number of taxpayers to benefit would not be a sizable voting bloc.

Old 04-07-2011, 05:37 PM

39,868 posts, read 26,495,821 times
I suppose if all the montly mortgage payment was made deductable, as opposed to just the interest, something similar could be extended to rent payments. Only thing is, the appartment building owner would have to loose his mortgage interest deduction (can't have the same deduction twice), meaning his costs, and therefore rents, would go up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies