Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2014, 10:35 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,702,516 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
Obama To Americans: You Don't Deserve To Be Free - Forbes

this to me and for me, goes against all that America was built on?

How do you feel, and please, don't bash and make synd remarks, lets discuss this objectively....and maturely
So, despite the sensational headline, Obama never said " You don't deserve to be free".

Used to be that productivity and employment tracked each other. Technology has increasingly caused an ever -widening gap between these two classic measures. Business has demonstrated it can achieve unprecedented productivity without employing more people.

Not that long ago, we stood in long lines or waited our turn in drive-thru banking facilities on payday. Our payroll checks took days to clear. There were millions of people employed in full- time, middle-class jobs who collectively handled our banking needs. Direct deposit, ATMs and electronic banking was substantially more efficient and less costly than the time-honored way. All those middle-class jobs have been permanently eliminated and replaced with a skeleton crew of often times, part time employees.

Downtown office space used to be filled with millions of middle class employees who typed, filed, copied, counted, responded to questions. They were supported by physical security and cleaning crews. In many areas, former office space has been converted to condos because business no longer has the need to employ armies of people to get the job done.

Millions of people, like me, used to travel weekly. We kept the travel agencies, airlines, taxi drivers, car rental agencies, hotels, restaurants and bars afloat. No need for this amount of travel anymore due to technology.

How long before we tell a future generation about the retail experience of days gone bye, that were replaced with online ordering off our phone, shipped from massive centralized warehouses and delivered to your front door, by a drone?

Get wild and crazy and gut federal, state, county and municipal spending. Unemployment soars and continues to put strong downward pressure on all wages.

Gut Medicare/Medicaid while 50-75 million people approaching or over age of 65 sharpen their pitch forks while hospitals fail and further reduce competition.

Halve the defense budget and unemployment soars and continues to put downward pressure on wages.

Half of all small businesses fail in good times and bad. When they do, they tend to leave a lot of creditors by the wayside. Most small business owners are not innovators. The majority work from home and have no employees.

Politicians and political parties have no answers as to how to employ the masses. So they and their supporters blame and blame and blame and promise a better tomorrow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2014, 10:36 AM

28,890 posts, read 30,248,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by believe007 View Post
LOL I concur, crème......you're preaching to the choir
And for the die hard supporters, lol they're never gonna wake up- why should they?!
They're enjoying all their freebies
I tell you, I have less respect for our government now more then ever, and I fear the next election? How much further will they take this? Awful and scary.

Old 03-19-2014, 10:38 AM

12,265 posts, read 6,465,198 times
Quote:
I tell you, I have less respect for our government now more then ever, and I fear the next election? How much further will they take this? Awful and scary.
BOO!

Old 03-19-2014, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
The OP/ED quoted the speech, but the words "You don't deserve to be free" cannot be found in the speech. Why does he invent stuff? Why does Forbes allow it?
And how many people absorb sensational headlines that appear to agree with their perceptions and don't bother to read beyond to learn, it's nothing more than an opinion?

Old 03-19-2014, 10:51 AM

3,040 posts, read 4,998,180 times
Quote:
The problem is we have already hit that tipping point of cradle to grave entitlements, now combine that with uninformed voters, by this I mean they really don't look into the issues they just believe what they are told, and what you wind up with is a bankrupt country who promises it's people wealth and prosperity if they only listen to them, kind of like DRNK or PRC they both set very good examples on where we are headed.

Old 03-19-2014, 10:56 AM

Quote:
yup, that is what I've been seeing, during his entire presidency....he seems to be into dictatorship, doesn't he....and there are so many people who still believe in him and in our government....
I mean, now, he is telling illegals, if you sign up for Obama care you won't be deported? I'm telling you, the American public continues to regress....mentally, and intellectually.
Really?

Can you provide a link from a credible source, please.

Old 03-19-2014, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
This quote is a lie?

"Now, it’s a simple theory. And we have to admit, it’s one that speaks to our rugged individualism and our healthy skepticism of too much government. That’s in America’s DNA. And that theory fits well on a bumper sticker. (Laughter.) But here’s the problem: It doesn’t work. It has never worked. (Applause.) It didn’t work when it was tried in the decade before the Great Depression. It’s not what led to the incredible postwar booms of the ’50s and ’60s. And it didn’t work when we tried it during the last decade. (Applause.) I mean, understand, it’s not as if we haven’t tried this theory."
That post war boom was a blip in time with unique circumstances that cannot be recreated.
And despite the prosperity of those times, 20% of the U.S. population lived in dire poverty.

Old 03-19-2014, 11:09 AM

4,088 posts, read 4,385,969 times
Quote:
Obama To Americans: You Don't Deserve To Be Free - Forbes

this to me and for me, goes against all that America was built on?

How do you feel, and please, don't bash and make synd remarks, lets discuss this objectively....and maturely
Recycles debunked stale material that already launched a dozen winger threads... Demands "objective, mature discussion"

Zzzzzzzzzz....

Old 03-19-2014, 11:10 AM

2,440 posts, read 3,429,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
Not only is this old, but the Forbes post is a lie. President Obama didn't say anything approaching "You don't deserve to be free". Your post is a lie.
Then it should be closed for ignoring its own admonition not to "bash, make [snide] remarks, and failing to discuss this objectively and maturely."

Old 03-19-2014, 11:11 AM

4,112 posts, read 4,472,568 times
I repeat,

Can anyone tell me what freedoms I have lost because Obama was elected?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies