Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2014, 08:54 AM

9,240 posts, read 8,666,331 times

Advertisements

I recognize their need for prayer and their rights to do so, If it was that important and adherent to their prayers they would have known not to be on a crowded gallery at that time. Why were they praying for spectacle? It a tourist spot with lots of people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2014, 09:02 AM

395 posts, read 546,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
I recognize their need for prayer and their rights to do so, If it was that important and adherent to their prayers they would have known not to be on a crowded gallery at that time. Why were they praying for spectacle? It a tourist spot with lots of people.
I don't know if it was staged for sensationalism or to try to make an issue (and perhaps a lawsuit?), or if it as simply bad judgement.

Yes, muslims are required to pray five times a day, but you DON'T have to make a big production out of it every time. I know muslims who pray five times a day, but they simply wash their hands and face, or use sand from a vial to clean their hands if they aren't near a clean restroom. The prayers do not require kneeling, you can perform the rakat standing or sitting, even riding in the back of a car. You can slip into a changing room at a shopping center.

Either these people are very cagey, or just not very bright.

Old 03-20-2014, 09:04 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,184,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
Why is it any of your business where someone wants to pray?

http://images.historyinfullcolor.com...AD76#h5735ad76

Old 03-20-2014, 09:08 AM

2,821 posts, read 2,110,176 times
The security staff may have handled the situation a bit differently.

Old 03-20-2014, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erratikmind View Post
The security staff may have handled the situation a bit differently.
As is usually the case.

Old 03-20-2014, 09:09 AM

7,006 posts, read 6,992,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auntie77 View Post
I don't know if it was staged for sensationalism or to try to make an issue (and perhaps a lawsuit?)
I'm sure this is precisely why they did it. Some muslims love to make a spectacle of their public praying– they'll do it in inappropriately crowded public places for maximum agitation effect– so if anybody gives them the evil eye they can cry racism and the liberal media will run with it for weeks because it fits so perfectly into their "America is racist and intolerant" narrative.

Old 03-20-2014, 09:11 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,687,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
You can bet if it were Christians there praying, the liberals would be outraged.

Whatever happened to "freedom from religion" which is so very important to liberals when there is any hint of a bible or Christian quotation, prayer, symbol? I want freedom from Islam.

Old 03-20-2014, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post
I'm sure this is precisely why they did it. Some muslims love to make a spectacle of their public praying– they'll do it in inappropriately crowded public places for maximum agitation effect– so if anybody gives them the evil eye they can cry racism and the liberal media will run with it for weeks because it fits so perfectly into their "America is racist and intolerant" narrative.
The couple silently knelt in an isolated area of the observation deck, with little foot traffic, the court document said.

It can be quite a wait to get up there, perhaps when they got in line they did not know it would take so long.

Old 03-20-2014, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
You can bet if it were Christians there praying, the liberals would be outraged.
I'll ask again.....why should we care where others decide to pray?

Old 03-20-2014, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post
I think some people like to make issues for whatever their hidden agenda is...not only muslims, but you see it in lots of different situations...

The tragedy is, so many muslims are going to be sucking in their breath preparing for a backlash when they themselves have done nothing wrong.

If you have never lived in a country where you are quite different from the majority, you wouldn't understand how they feel. But it can be very difficult, to try to fit in, to try to be part of a society while quietly keeping your own traditions at home, and then feeling when someone else causes drama, that your child may be taunted at school, or that your family may face other scrutiny or mistreatment from strangers, due to no fault of your own.

I hope people don't fan the flames of hate with this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies