Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2014, 01:15 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,000,960 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
It's good to see the schools did something intelligent for a change. Perhaps these kids will grow up to understand that a gun is just an object, and not have the odd mental phobias that many parents, as well as many of our posters, display. It's good to expose kids to something new and EDUCATE them, rahter than just instill more irrational fear. Far more useful than another "gay agenda" or "DARE" play. Around here, field trips are usually just a play day, with trips to the ski hill or an amusement park.

Appleseed is a great organization. I have participated in one of their shoots-great experience and I learned a lot.
My kids just took a field trip to the local dump to learn about how to recycle. Nothing in the Constitution about recycling.

Yes DARE is a joke as is the entire anti bullying agenda. They have assemblies every week on that nonsense wasting time as all the kids know it's a joke too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2014, 01:53 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,893,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromChicago View Post

wasting school resources due to political agendas. I bet these same freaks that are prazing this trip would fricken #@#$ a brick if they took their trip to the columbine memorial (at Columbine Highschool) instead
Why would anyone have any objection to them going to the Columbine Memorial? I would have no problem with that, that is, unless the field trip was used as an opportunity to indoctrinate our children with anti-Constitutional ideologies.

Old 03-21-2014, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharks With Lasers View Post
I would agree with this. It's a good thing to teach kids about gun safety, and there's nothing wrong with going to a gun range. But it's too controversial for a public school field trip these days.
Why should it be controversial? If the parents don't want ther kids to go,they don't have to sign the permission slip.

Old 03-21-2014, 01:58 PM

1,507 posts, read 1,974,464 times
When I went to school in the 70s, we kept several 22lr in the school stock room, along with 4 shot guns and reloading equipment for the shotguns. We would go to the school forest and shoot 22lr and trap and had a couple of inter school tournaments. We even did a deer drive during school, had hunter safety at school and we brought our guns in on our desks to prepare for the hunt. Today any of that would land you in prison.

Old 03-21-2014, 01:59 PM

1,507 posts, read 1,974,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
Why should it be controversial? If the parents don't want ther kids to go,they don't have to sign the permission slip.
I think one thing is the liability problem. There would have to be extra insurance and I am not sure in this day and age that any insurance comp. would cover anything like this. Its logistically impossible I would think.

Old 03-21-2014, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Yes sex education is in fact very important since the US has one of the highest rates of unwanted pregnancy of any civilized country. Many reasons for sex education including infectious diseases in our population, the parents can teach gun safety if they want their child to buy a gun, schools is not the place for that.
So, if I am following you correctly, we should teach children sex ed because we have one of the highest unwanted pregnancy rates in the civilized world, and bad things like disease can happen if you don't practice safe sex, right? But, you think a trip to the gun range, which would teach kids that guns are not a toy and teach them how to safely handle them, is a bad idea, even though this country has one of the highest gun fatality rates in the civilized world?

How is that logic consistent?

Old 03-21-2014, 02:03 PM

9,763 posts, read 10,525,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_J View Post
How do you feel about shop class, home-ec, driver's ed and those types of classes? My shop class showed me there are real world applications for geometry and trig which is a big incentive to do well. It is 30 years later and I still use what I learned in that class. My dad taught me how to drive. My basketball coach taught me how to drive correctly.
I have no problems with any of those classes. Do they still teach home economics? What's on the syllabus; how to apply for a job?

I have no problem with the field trip, either.

I do find it interesting that the OP sees politics in the story.

Old 03-21-2014, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
I have no problems with any of those classes. Do they still teach home economics? What's on the syllabus; how to apply for a job?

I have no problem with the field trip, either.

I do find it interesting that the OP sees politics in the story.
Guns are both political and controversial..... especially when they are mixed with kids.

Old 03-21-2014, 02:09 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,003,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
It's not appropriate to take time out of academic subjects for a field trip to a gun range-- or anything else non-academic for that matter.
Just for clarification, do you consider wood, metal, plastics, or auto shop to be academic?

Old 03-21-2014, 02:14 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,003,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
Guns are both political and controversial..... especially when they are mixed with kids.
Why "especially" controversial when children are given instruction in safe firearms handling?

Also, how exactly are firearms political?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies