Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2007, 06:04 PM

902 posts, read 712,605 times

Advertisements

Worse thing that could be done. People were and are adults. Can't make your payments, then lose your home. Wrong to help any homeowner out since they put themselves in the position they are in.

BTW, I was also against Chrysler getting bailed out. It is not the job of the government to bail out stupid and ignorant people who think that contracts mean nothing to them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2007, 06:06 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,142,425 times
Actually, this is not a "bail out" - no government monies involved

Old 12-05-2007, 06:32 PM

The homeowners should have to pay their payments. This is ridiculous, to say the least. The mortgage companies should also have to pay for the way they have set people up but people should read their damn contracts. What the hell do they think ARM stands for anyway? Government should stay out of it no matter what.

Old 12-05-2007, 06:32 PM

640 posts, read 459,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozark-Baby View Post
Worse thing that could be done. People were and are adults. Can't make your payments, then lose your home. Wrong to help any homeowner out since they put themselves in the position they are in.

BTW, I was also against Chrysler getting bailed out. It is not the job of the government to bail out stupid and ignorant people who think that contracts mean nothing to them.
YOU need to read the details of this plan, MOD CUT. The bill DOES NOT bail anyone out. You must be current on your payments and stay current. This will only prevent your interest rate from going up thus causing the payment to go us. If you don't make your payments; no fixed interest.

Sheesh. Read and understand first. MOD CUT

Last edited by NewToCA; 12-05-2007 at 06:58 PM.. Reason: rude comments

Old 12-05-2007, 06:34 PM

68,279 posts, read 54,049,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rggr View Post
I agree that there are big problems with the healthcare system, the specifics of that are a different thread. I agree with your point on buying the house too.

It's just that some of the home loan deals I've read about don't seem much different than lending an 18 year old making minimum wage the $$$ to buy a $100K Porsche, seems like a pretty damn stupid deal on both sides, I have a lot more sympathy for those facing a serious illness through no fault of their own.

Old 12-05-2007, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooner_Nation_60 View Post
YOU need to read the details of this plan, MOD CUT. The bill DOES NOT bail anyone out. You must be current on your payments and stay current. This will only prevent your interest rate from going up thus causing the payment to go us. If you don't make your payments; no fixed interest.

Sheesh. Read and understand first. MOD CUT
Sheeesh....are you telling me that the idiot homeowners didn't know what ARMs were? They knew of the chance of the interest rates going up. That is why they are called teaser rates. Let them file bankruptcy and learn from their ignorant mistakes.

It is not up to the government to do anything to help people out, whether there is money involved or not. The people need to learn from them being so stupid as to get loans like they did. I always read contracts before signing. Why in the hell didn't they?

If the government is going to make sure that the interest rates don't go up then it is a bailout and they have no right doing it. There might be no money passing hands but keeping the interest rates level is screwing around with mortgages and is still a bailout. MOD CUT before showing yourself to not understand about how bailouts don't always have to be about money passing hands.

Last edited by NewToCA; 12-05-2007 at 07:00 PM.. Reason: keep to subject

Old 12-05-2007, 06:52 PM

4,714 posts, read 8,441,215 times
There was a huge amount of mortgage origination fraud taking place at the end of the boom. Multiple homes being bought with questionable mortgages by the same investors. Nobody was checking whether multiple loans were being taken out, else they were lying on the applications. It was a rigged game from the outset. The Fed and Wall Street did this to themselves by not having any meaningful rules or regulations over the industry.

Old 12-05-2007, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
It's just that some of the home loan deals I've read about don't seem much different than lending an 18 year old making minimum wage the $$$ to buy a $100K Porsche, seems like a pretty damn stupid deal on both sides, I have a lot more sympathy for those facing a serious illness through no fault of their own.
Exactly!!! They all deserve to lose because they were all trying to act like they could buy more than they could afford.

Old 12-05-2007, 06:56 PM

68,279 posts, read 54,049,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkTwain View Post
There was a huge amount of mortgage origination fraud taking place at the end of the boom. Multiple homes being bought with questionable mortgages by the same investors. Nobody was checking whether multiple loans were being taken out, else they were lying on the applications. It was a rigged game from the outset. The Fed and Wall Street did this to themselves by not having any meaningful rules or regulations over the industry.

Isn't fraud something that should be prosecuted rather than protected?

Old 12-05-2007, 07:00 PM

4,714 posts, read 8,441,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Isn't fraud something that should be prosecuted rather than protected?

It will eventually be prosecuted but I don't hear about too many GOP U.S. Attorneys busting their humps to do so. It's against their political philosophy to prosecute business people in a wide swath. It will require a change of administrations to get the job done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies