Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2014, 06:10 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,314,576 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
Class of 1978. I too left active duty as an O3.
So even at that time it was almost a given provided that you do what you were suppose to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2014, 06:25 PM

I will agree to some point that having some CREDITABLE military service should give a candidate a leg up over a draft dodger ONLY when running for the presidency since they would be in charge of all of the branches of services. I guess that I would feel more comfortable in knowing that at least that person should know what each branch can and cannot do. If they went through OTS (Officer training School) they would also have a better understanding on how to conduct military conflicts instead of relying on a bunch of "yes men generals and admirals".

Old 03-28-2014, 06:28 PM

20,892 posts, read 16,070,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
So even at that time it was almost a given provided that you do what you were suppose to do.
My time was not Bush's time, and I was RA while he was not.

Apples and pears.

Old 03-28-2014, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Historiandude, you are right I am wrong. Happy now?
I was never unhappy. That's not generally my style.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981
I know you are going to come back say the last words and you did!!
And then you did.

And then I did.

Wow. Who ever imagined conversations worked that way?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981
Now you can come back and attack me again. I am done with this discussion.
Sure you are.

Old 03-28-2014, 06:32 PM

This one turn of phrase caught my attention:

Quote:
... instead of relying on a bunch of "yes men generals and admirals".
I can only assume that you do not know many generals or admirals.

Old 03-28-2014, 06:34 PM

Quote:
My time was not Bush's time, and I was RA while he was not.

Apples and pears.

So you are saying that it was easier getting rank during peacetime than during the war where Lts were being replaced constantly? Because many of them knew very little outside of what they taught in college about actually fighting in the bush? I have a cousin who was basically an idoit, but knew how to survive and he did quite well in the jungle and was promoted at least three times while he was there.

Old 03-28-2014, 06:36 PM

Quote:
This one turn of phrase caught my attention:

I can only assume that you do not know many generals or admirals.
Don't assume anything, I was partly responsible for my Col to get her star and I worked with one in PSAB and another in Texas who was the hospital commander (two star)

Old 03-28-2014, 06:40 PM

Quote:
So you are saying that it was easier getting rank during peacetime than during the war where Lts were being replaced constantly?
It's never easy getting rank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime
Because many of them knew very little outside of what they taught in college about actually fighting in the bush?
I can make neither heads nor tails of that comment. Nobody "knows" about combat until they've been there. Period.

Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime
I have a cousin who was basically an idoit, but knew how to survive and he did quite well in the jungle and was promoted at least three times while he was there.
1. The plural of anecdote is not data.

2. There are a lot of different ways to be intelligent. Some are better suited to some circumstances than others. While you may consider him an "idoit" I'm confident he would not characterize his achievement of three promotions as "easy" either.

Old 03-28-2014, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Don't assume anything, I was partly responsible for my Col to get her star and I worked with one in PSAB and another in Texas who was the hospital commander (two star)
That was a completely inapposite response to my comment. Especially given the age old prerogative of junior military to disparage and ***** about their commanders.

Again, I contend that you cannot possibly have known many generals or admirals. In contrast, at least 25 of my classmates, most of them personal friends since we were teenagers, have achieved flag rank (out of a graduating class of just over 900). I cannot honestly call a single one of them a "yes man." The "yes men" tended to top out at LTC.

Old 03-28-2014, 07:46 PM

20,123 posts, read 16,144,906 times
Quote:
On active duty, depending on the branch, yes, that is not out of the ordinary.

However, just a gentle reminder, academy graduates have a minimum of 5 years active obligation, with an additional 3 years of IRR. I double checked with a graduate from that time period, who said it was the same back then. I'm not going to beat a dead horse, but a reservist/guard member during the Vietnam Era, would have a significantly slower promotion rate than active duty members of the time, and even reservists or guard members of today.

Quote:
So you are saying that it was easier getting rank during peacetime than during the war where Lts were being replaced constantly? Because many of them knew very little outside of what they taught in college about actually fighting in the bush? I have a cousin who was basically an idoit, but knew how to survive and he did quite well in the jungle and was promoted at least three times while he was there.
In the Reserves or National Guard, at a time period when they were exempt from combat, and there was an ugly war going on? You betcha.

Your cousin was promoted so much because he survived in a combat situation, not the Guard or Reserves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies