Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2014, 08:24 PM

2,055 posts, read 1,448,266 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minethatbird View Post
Bill Clinton hails from Arkansas.
Yes, I believe his hometown was ... Hope. I think he made a change of address. And let us not forget the letter to the ROTC commander that he thought he destroyed. The First Shirt of that ROTC Detachment will always deserve a pat on the back.

El Nox
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2014, 07:20 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,318,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
It's never easy getting rank.

Actually, in the enlisted ranks E1 to E3 is pretty much automatic as long as you do your job and keep your nose clean. My ex, told me it was the same for 2Lt to 1Lt as well, the Capt rank is based on position and Maj. is a staff position since you have to work on it. Btw, she retired as a LtCol

I can make neither heads nor tails of that comment. Nobody "knows" about combat until they've been there. Period.

I'm just getting what was told to me by men who were there

1. The plural of anecdote is not data.

2. There are a lot of different ways to be intelligent. Some are better suited to some circumstances than others. While you may consider him an "idoit" I'm confident he would not characterize his achievement of three promotions as "easy" either.
The probelm is that he did not get promoted three times in six years! He left the military as a 1Lt. this is why I questioned his service committment. I bet if he had done all of his training he would have left as a Capt at least. Say what you will but I don't know any GOOD officers with Masters degrees and can't make at least Capt.

How do you become a Captain?

A Captain is most often promoted from First Lieutenant (1LT), although promotion from lower paygrades may occur with sufficient display of leadership and experience.

Come to think of it, screw it! I should have stuck to my guns in the first place. It takes on average 4 YEARS TO MAKE CAPT IN THE ARMY and sometimes 5 or longer if you screw up. If anyone can prove this wrong feel free to do so.

Old 03-29-2014, 08:17 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,153,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
Come to think of it, screw it! I should have stuck to my guns in the first place. It takes on average 4 YEARS TO MAKE CAPT IN THE ARMY and sometimes 5 or longer if you screw up. If anyone can prove this wrong feel free to do so.
According to AR 135-155, Department of the Army Regulation 135-155. Army National Guard and U.S. Army Reserve. Promotion of Commissioned Officers and Warrant Officers Other Than General Officers:
From 2LT to 1LT - Minimum time in grade: 2 years. Maximum time in grade: 42 months
From 1LT to CPT - Minimum time in grade: 2 years. Maximum time in grade: 5 years (that is 8 1/2 years total)

Additionally, in the National Guard to obtain the rate of CPT or above, aside from being selected for promotion, the service member must also be selected by a unit with an open slot to actually be promoted.

The regs can be found on line, if you would like to read them.

Old 03-29-2014, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
According to AR 135-155, Department of the Army Regulation 135-155. Army National Guard and U.S. Army Reserve. Promotion of Commissioned Officers and Warrant Officers Other Than General Officers:
From 2LT to 1LT - Minimum time in grade: 2 years. Maximum time in grade: 42 months
From 1LT to CPT - Minimum time in grade: 2 years. Maximum time in grade: 5 years (that is 8 1/2 years total)

Additionally, in the National Guard to obtain the rate of CPT or above, aside from being selected for promotion, the service member must also be selected by a unit with an open slot to actually be promoted.

The regs can be found on line, if you would like to read them.

First you said that it was different back then and now you are quoting current regs. Which is it? You do realize that regs are changed over the years. to be truthful the best way to determine this is to find out how quick others with his rank are promoted.

This reg proably did not apply during wartime. Oh, and another thing pilots tend to get promoted quicker than other MOSs especially during wartime, if they are compentent

Old 03-29-2014, 10:48 PM

Quote:
First you said that it was different back then and now you are quoting current regs. Which is it? You do realize that regs are changed over the years. to be truthful the best way to determine this is to find out how quick others with his rank are promoted.

This reg proably did not apply during wartime. Oh, and another thing pilots tend to get promoted quicker than other MOSs especially during wartime, if they are compentent
Of course I realize regs change over the years. I was the one who told you, remember? As I said, Up and Out did not become a policy until the 80's, before that there was no max time in-grade, including when Bush was in. Let's try this again, during wartime, it wasn't like it is now, back then getting a slot in the Guard or the Reserves was essentially a guarantee that you would not be sent to the combat zone. Promotions in the Guard and Reserves were more stagnate during wartime than during peacetime. The active duty people, especially those in the combat zones, were getting the accelerated promotions. What has not changed is that promotions in the National Guard are, and were, dependent on finding an open slot. I seriously doubt Mr. Bush was out trying to find a slot in order to get promoted, he just didn't appear real interested in military ambitions.

You wanted proof, and since you kept giving current trends, I was merely giving you proof that your presumptions are not even accurate today. If you want proof of that time they keep back dated copies of regs at the professional libraries on most installations. They should be more than happy to let a guy with over 20 combined years of Army/Air Force - Active/Reserve service research them. It is doubtful that many, if any, outdated regs that old can be found on the internet.

As I said much earlier up thread, when my husband first entered active duty he had more than a few "peers" with 10-12 years time in-grade as lieutenant. You need to find some other means to prove your perceived worthlessness Bush, trashing him for serving 6 years in the Guard and leaving before he made Captian is proof of nothing.

Old 03-30-2014, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Of course I realize regs change over the years. I was the one who told you, remember? As I said, Up and Out did not become a policy until the 80's, before that there was no max time in-grade, including when Bush was in. Let's try this again, during wartime, it wasn't like it is now, back then getting a slot in the Guard or the Reserves was essentially a guarantee that you would not be sent to the combat zone. Promotions in the Guard and Reserves were more stagnate during wartime than during peacetime. The active duty people, especially those in the combat zones, were getting the accelerated promotions. What has not changed is that promotions in the National Guard are, and were, dependent on finding an open slot. I seriously doubt Mr. Bush was out trying to find a slot in order to get promoted, he just didn't appear real interested in military ambitions.

You wanted proof, and since you kept giving current trends, I was merely giving you proof that your presumptions are not even accurate today. If you want proof of that time they keep back dated copies of regs at the professional libraries on most installations. They should be more than happy to let a guy with over 20 combined years of Army/Air Force - Active/Reserve service research them. It is doubtful that many, if any, outdated regs that old can be found on the internet.

As I said much earlier up thread, when my husband first entered active duty he had more than a few "peers" with 10-12 years time in-grade as lieutenant. You need to find some other means to prove your perceived worthlessness Bush, trashing him for serving 6 years in the Guard and leaving before he made Captian is proof of nothing.
I think that it has the same weight as the people that claimed that that they never seen him, or the ones that swore that he skipped drills frequently. This, on top of other accounts including how he managed to get in the unit in the first place (grandfather's political pull) ahead of everyone else, and the mysterious disappearance/alterations (?) of his discharge papers makes me question his dubious military service. Like I mentioned before, if it had been anyone else who went to drill faithfully and was got into the unit fairly without any sort of entitlement, I would not even have bought this subject up in the first place.

Old 03-30-2014, 03:31 PM

20,892 posts, read 16,074,302 times
Quote:
The probelm is that he did not get promoted three times in six years!
How is that a problem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime
He left the military as a 1Lt. this is why I questioned his service committment. I bet if he had done all of his training he would have left as a Capt at least. Say what you will but I don't know any GOOD officers with Masters degrees and can't make at least Capt.
Other than his rank at the time of his departure, everything in that paragraph is pure speculation. I can think of no obvious reason to consider any of it true.

Old 03-30-2014, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
How is that a problem?

I explained this earlier

Other than his rank at the time of his departure, everything in that paragraph is pure speculation. I can think of no obvious reason to consider any of it true.
If you say so

Old 03-30-2014, 05:08 PM

20,892 posts, read 16,074,302 times
Quote:
I explained that earlier.
No. You blankly asserted that earlier.

Am I being too subtle?

Old 03-30-2014, 05:08 PM

Quote:
I think that it has the same weight as the people that claimed that that they never seen him, or the ones that swore that he skipped drills frequently. This, on top of other accounts including how he managed to get in the unit in the first place (grandfather's political pull) ahead of everyone else, and the mysterious disappearance/alterations (?) of his discharge papers makes me question his dubious military service. Like I mentioned before, if it had been anyone else who went to drill faithfully and was got into the unit fairly without any sort of entitlement, I would not even have bought this subject up in the first place.
So, in other words, you are holding him to a different standard than millions of other Americans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies