Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2014, 12:11 PM

15,047 posts, read 8,866,999 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Two wrongs have never made a right. The treatment of Max Cleland was appalling. However, my issue with Kerry was not his service, but his actions and words afterwards.
Except the Swift Boat smear campaign was not about his actions or words after his service. It was a smear campaign aimed AT his service record. And you're right, there is nothing that is quite as despicable than what the right did to Max Cleland. That alone should shame the OP into quitting this thread, but of course, it won't. It's always "different" when their side does it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2014, 12:14 PM

20,123 posts, read 16,142,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
Except the Swift Boat smear campaign was not about his actions or words after his service. It was a smear campaign aimed AT his service record. And you're right, there is nothing that is quite as despicable than what the right did to Max Cleland. That alone should shame the OP into quitting this thread, but of course, it won't. It's always "different" when their side does it.
Erm.... That is my side. It is simply wrong, no matter who it is done to, no matter who does it.

The swift boat stuff has nothing to do with my distain of Kerry, it is his words and actions after he left Vietnam.

Old 03-22-2014, 06:58 PM

4,088 posts, read 4,385,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilt11 View Post
Video: Democrats still criticizing GOP Senate candidates for military service. « Hot Air

Not that this is the worst thing we've seen from Democrats. But to seriously attack someone for even mentioning they served, unlike one who would bash someone for it, is despicable. Shame on them and the liberals that will come in here and defend it. Not that we should be shocked. You people will defend comparing non-liberals to suicide bombers/terrorists. You are that disgusting and pathetic.
Your second example is about residency issues, not the fact the Republican was a marine. So, you only have ONE example- don't you? Do you think "one" makes a trend?

Also, have you forgotten the "Purple Heart" band aids?

Trust me- I and millions of other Americans never will.

Find a real issue to get your panties clenched over, then get back to us.

Old 03-22-2014, 08:21 PM

17,595 posts, read 17,623,242 times
The difference between this situation and Kerry's situation is Kerry was attacked for his actions after leaving the service and some questionable awards he received. The OP case involves a politician attacking his opponent directly for saying he served in the military. Stating one served in the military when campaigning is just a statement of record like a work history. It's not the same as attacking an opponent for questionable military awards. Don't attack the opponent's having served, attack things he may or may not have done while in the service.

Old 03-22-2014, 08:54 PM

30,245 posts, read 23,716,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
Oh, please. Go read the definition of Swiftboating. It was a despicable smear of Kerry's military record.

The right has absolutely no credibility on this topic. If you had any sense of decency or honesty you would quit this thread right now, but I won't hold my breath.
No, not all Conservatives bashed Kerry's time in the military. I was one who said that we should respect that he was in the military. As I said then, and I will still say now, he served, and we should respect that.

Having said that, if anyone lies about things they did while in the military, I have no respect for that.

Fail.

Old 03-22-2014, 09:21 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,313,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
I guess we should forget the chickenhawks attacks on Kerry.

That was the weirdest thing that I ever see/hear in my life when Kerry was vilified for his service and Bush was praised for his non-participation in his

I talked to a vet here in the VA that said that he knew for a fact that Kerry did what was expected of him when he was in Vietnam. The vet did not understand why would those "swiftboaters" lie except for the money. Tel me have anyone heard from any of them since?

Old 03-23-2014, 03:44 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,211,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
That was the weirdest thing that I ever see/hear in my life when Kerry was vilified for his service and Bush was praised for his non-participation in his

I talked to a vet here in the VA that said that he knew for a fact that Kerry did what was expected of him when he was in Vietnam. The vet did not understand why would those "swiftboaters" lie except for the money. Tel me have anyone heard from any of them since?
Most don't condemn Kerry for his service. We condemn him for slandering his fellow vets to further his political career. He later recanted much of what he said, but only when it became popular to support being a vet. That is what bothered most of us.

Old 03-23-2014, 07:57 AM

15,047 posts, read 8,866,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Most don't condemn Kerry for his service. We condemn him for slandering his fellow vets to further his political career. He later recanted much of what he said, but only when it became popular to support being a vet. That is what bothered most of us.
Were you bothered by the Swiftboating smear against Kerry's service?

Old 03-23-2014, 08:01 AM

20,892 posts, read 16,069,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
And "most" on the left don't attack candidates for military service either.

Thank you for making our case for us, even if it was an accident.

Old 03-23-2014, 08:03 AM

20,892 posts, read 16,069,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
No, not all Conservatives bashed Kerry's time in the military.
And not all Liberals bash others for military service either.

Thank you also for pointing out, even if you didn't mean to, what a pathetic fail the OP is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies