U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2014, 09:44 PM

20,566 posts, read 8,726,212 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Some philanthropic efforts of the Koch Brothers:

Culture/The Arts

PBS' NOVA
$15 million to the Smithsonian (Natural History) for Hall of Human Origins
$35 million to the Smithsonian (Natural History) to update fossil and dinosaur displays
$20 million to the Smithsonian (Natural History) for new dinosaur wing
$100 million to modernize Lincoln Center
$1.8 million in grants to artists and musicians from Kansas

Medical - $506 million including:

$25 million to a Houston cancer care center
$100 million for cancer research at MIT
$100 million for new ambulatory care center at New York Presbyterian Hospital

University

$814,000 to the Kansas State University Office of Diversity
University programs and think tanks that try “to understand the nature of human freedom and how that freedom leads to prosperity.”
Research and teaching at Brown, Mount Holyoke, Sarah Lawrence, University of Wisconsin at Madison, Vassar, and some 245 other colleges.

Enviroment

Promotion of biodiversity, wildlife habitat enhancement, land restoration and conservation education (per Wildlife Habitat Council President)
Helps Ducks Unlimited maintain 36,000 acres of waterfowl habitat on 116 Minnesota lakes.

Not philanthropic but:

Koch Industries offers same-sex spousal benefits to its legally married employees

MURDOCK: Liberals do not appreciate conservative Koch brothers' generosity - Washington Times

I'm thinking you libs don't hear about this.

When you have money like that you can afford to give it away to whatever charity you want. What does this have to do with them trying to buy elections. I would appreciate their generosity more if they stayed out of politics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2014, 10:02 PM

8,287 posts, read 7,501,959 times
Never hear about from libs? From The New Yorker (August 30, 2010):

"On May 17th, a black-tie audience at the Metropolitan Opera House applauded as a tall, jovial-looking billionaire took the stage. It was the seventieth annual spring gala of American Ballet Theatre, and David H. Koch was being celebrated for his generosity as a member of the board of trustees; he had recently donated $2.5 million toward the company’s upcoming season, and had given many millions before that. . . The gala marked the social ascent of Koch, who, at the age of seventy, has become one of the city’s most prominent philanthropists. In 2008, he donated a hundred million dollars to modernize Lincoln Center’s New York State Theatre building, which now bears his name. He has given twenty million to the American Museum of Natural History, whose dinosaur wing is named for him. This spring, after noticing the decrepit state of the fountains outside the Metropolitan Museum of Art, Koch pledged at least ten million dollars for their renovation. He is a trustee of the museum, perhaps the most coveted social prize in the city, and serves on the board of Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center, where, after he donated more than forty million dollars, an endowed chair and a research center were named for him."
http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2...urrentPage=all

Old 03-24-2014, 02:03 AM

21,483 posts, read 13,608,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
It's irrelevant, Hitler gave generously to many charities. Can I use that fact to in some manner excuse the things he did.
Hitler closed churches or put his face on the walls to worship him and took Christ down.

Old 03-24-2014, 02:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
Exactly the point. So did Saddam Hussein.

Besides I read that the Koch brother's "donations" often come with "strings attached" to further their political agenda.
And Soros just gives freely to any and all no matter what their political bent is.

Old 03-24-2014, 02:09 AM

They are billionaires, I would hope they give to charities and it a free country they can also give to politicians they agree with, don't you?

They have had death threats though and they need body guards. So much for the left being tolerant.

Old 03-24-2014, 03:06 AM

5,909 posts, read 2,809,006 times
Quote:

Culture/The Arts

PBS' NOVA
$35 million to the Smithsonian (Natural History) to update fossil and dinosaur displays

University

University programs and think tanks that try “to understand the nature of human freedom and how that freedom leads to prosperity.”
Research and teaching at Brown, Mount Holyoke, Sarah Lawrence, University of Wisconsin at Madison, Vassar, and some 245 other colleges.

Enviroment

Promotion of biodiversity, wildlife habitat enhancement, land restoration and conservation education (per Wildlife Habitat Council President)
Helps Ducks Unlimited maintain 36,000 acres of waterfowl habitat on 116 Minnesota lakes.

Not philanthropic but:

Koch Industries offers same-sex spousal benefits to its legally married employees

MURDOCK: Liberals do not appreciate conservative Koch brothers' generosity - Washington Times

The Koch brothers donate that money for good publicity while they,

Give people cancer,
Koch Industries plant linked to cancer epidemic in Arkansas community (video) - Koch Brothers Exposed

Manipulate our federal government,
Political activities of the Koch brothers - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Lie and say Social Security is going bankrupt, so it gets privatized and the SS money gets diverted to their Wall Street corporations.
Koch Brothers' Campaign to Kill Social Security

While they fight for low min wage laws, so they can pay their workers low wages.
While they fight against workers unions, so the unions don't cause pay raises for their workers.
While they fight to abolish the EPA so it can't fine and regulate their corporations.

While they fund studies to deny global warming (when 97% of climate scientists say its real.) The Koch brothers deny global warming, because combating it would cause their corporations to loose money.
Koch Industries: Secretly Funding the Climate Denial Machine | Greenpeace

And while they manipulate the Tea Party members as if they were retarded sheep.

The Billionaires Tea Party Documentary - YouTube

The above is only a small sample of what the Koch brothers do!!!

Old 03-24-2014, 03:08 AM

34,209 posts, read 41,163,630 times
Quote:

Culture/The Arts

PBS' NOVA

University

Enviroment

Not philanthropic but:

If i had many billions of dollars this grouping of supposedly philanthropic donations would closely match/resemble my tax write off/avoidance portfolio.

Old 03-24-2014, 04:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamencoFreak View Post
Gee, I don't suppose rich Liberal family foundations ever influence politics or regulatory agencies at all. My, my. This is appalling.

Let's see, the Tides Foundation I'm sure never gives money to non-profit politically active organizations, nor the Annenberg Foundation, either. They would never engage in such things.

Of course, there are all of George Soros's organizations too. I'm sure they are completely non-political.
Liberal billionaires influence politics to help regular Americans.
Conservative billionaires influence politics to help CEO's and large corporations.

Democrats do what billionaires like Warren Buffet and Bill Gates want them to do.
And republicans do what billionaires like the Koch brothers want them to do.

Warren Buffett, Secretary Debbie Bosanek Discuss Tax Rate Inequality in Interview - YouTube

Bill Gates: Rich should pay more taxes - YouTube

Bill Gates is better than Batman - 9GAG

Just like Buffet and Gates want the rich to pay higher taxes (democrats want it.)
And just like Bill Gates likes to do charity work and nation building (democrats want it.)

And just like the Koch brothers want supply side tax cuts, low capital gains tax rates, low min wage laws, corporate deregulation, and to abolish the EPA (republicans want it.)

Last edited by chad3; 03-24-2014 at 04:43 AM..

Old 03-24-2014, 04:40 AM

Quote:
Gee, I don't suppose rich Liberal family foundations ever influence politics or regulatory agencies at all. My, my. This is appalling.

Let's see, the Tides Foundation I'm sure never gives money to non-profit politically active organizations, nor the Annenberg Foundation, either. They would never engage in such things.

Of course, there are all of George Soros's organizations too. I'm sure they are completely non-political.
George Soros is a liberal, and he is just like the liberals in this forum (he's just a billionaire.)

In 2003 Soros said that removing President George W. Bush from office was the "central focus of my life" and "a matter of life and death". He said he would sacrifice his entire fortune to defeat Bush "if someone guaranteed it."

George Soros - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Soros hates Bush just like all liberals do.

And Soros wants to raise min wage laws like liberals do.
http://www.mrc.org/articles/fast-foo...e-minimum-wage
HuffPo: Workers 'Really Deserve' a $21.72 Minimum Wage | NewsBusters

Billionaires like Gates, Buffet, and Soros deeply effect the democrats actions.

And billionaires like the Koch brothers deeply effect the republicans actions (but the Koch brothers don't want to raise min wage.)

The Koch brothers want this,

Romney's Economic Plan Includes $6.6 Trillion Tax Cut For The Rich And Corporations | ThinkProgress

Fox news and Rush radio are controlled by CEO's like the Koch brothers. The following documentary shows how these conservative billionaires manipulate republicans as if they were retarded sheep.

The Billionaires Tea Party Documentary - YouTube

Last edited by chad3; 03-24-2014 at 04:53 AM..

Old 03-24-2014, 05:31 AM

71,586 posts, read 83,109,220 times
Quote:
These things don't fit their model of "rich, greedy, Republicans." That's why you'll never hear them mentioned. The less informed their sycophants are, the better.
it is the same as what Wal Mart haters (usually the left) don't want to know about the Walton family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies