U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2014, 09:52 AM

6,868 posts, read 3,934,439 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomBen View Post
The boomer generation's parents went through the depression. They did not spoil the boomers. They understood getting through hardship requires prudence and persistance.

It is actually the boomers who are doing the spoiling of the Gen Y and millenial children.
Just look at all the threads of the whiney little children who are not getting everything they want. They just blame someone else for their ineptitude.
This is true, raised as a middle class baby boomer, we had just enough and were not lavished with a ton of stuff at X-mas. I got 2 pairs of pants and 2 shirts at the beginning of the school year and made do with what I already had. I never thought any thing of it and never wished or cried for more. I learned to live with what I had. As I grow older, I look back and am appreciative of what I had and what my parents did for me. I don't know why some are not happy or satisfied with what they have, it could always have been worse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2014, 10:13 AM

6,868 posts, read 3,934,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Boomers born after 1954 had no draft to be wary of. Stagflation, the energy crisis I can concede on. The recessions though we're not ever as slow to recover as this one. Plus colleges did not really have loads to Jack up the price like the millennials have seen. Even on the community college level, process have gone up about the same per credit in a year as Disney World admission per day.
Well, we did have 1 year, I turned 18 in Feb 1972 the draft did not end until Jan. 27, 1973. I am glad, because I did not want to go fight in that crazy Asian war. I watched my mother almost have a nervous breakdown in the one year my brother spent in Vietnam.

Old 03-24-2014, 10:24 AM

27,180 posts, read 15,706,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider275452 View Post
Well, we did have 1 year, I turned 18 in Feb 1972 the draft did not end until Jan. 27, 1973. I am glad, because I did not want to go fight in that crazy Asian war. I watched my mother almost have a nervous breakdown in the one year my brother spent in Vietnam.
Fair enough, what I am getting at is at most the early half of the boomers were in that spot. Just like how boomers born after 1951/2 were not hippies or involved in as much civil rights protests because the movement ended by that point. The issue I always have is that the new generations are bogged down with stereotypes and I think it is something that has gone on for years however it wasn't as out there thanks to the internet being a database for everything and allowing people to have more of a voice.

Old 03-24-2014, 10:34 AM

14,969 posts, read 14,189,805 times
Quote:
The guy in the video knows not of what he speaks, the baby boomer generation ran almost 20 years from 1946-1964 and yes some youth of that generation did participate in later civil rights movement and most of the anti war movement starting in the late 60's to the mid 70's involved mostly baby boomers. The environmental movement started in the early 70's with the inception of Earth day March 21, 1970, I remember it well. All of these movements and more were started by the generation that some hate so bad, but don't feel alone, we didn't care much for the "Greatest generations" old fashioned ideas either, the reason for the protests.
It makes sense that there were these clashes then, but here's what I don't get about the younger generation's feelings towards the Boomers...it's true that the Boomers had drastically different values from the Greatest Generation. Generation Y, meanwhile, doesn't have drastically different values from the Boomers.

Old 03-24-2014, 10:37 AM

14,969 posts, read 14,189,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomBen View Post
True.
We all need to revaluate our priorities imho.
In my area of the country no matter what their financial situation there are many who must emerse themselves in upscale material items to feel as if they fit in. To make it worse they use their children as props by sending them to school in armani clothes and getting them high priced cars to drive to highschool.
Its all about image no about acutality.
My preteen nephew has both an iPad and iPhone. (So does my teenage nephew, but when they're not even teens, it just seems that much worse.) My father will be buying a car for my teenage nephew when he turns 16 because it's a necessity the day they turn 16 and my sister and BIL can't afford it and he certainly can't be expected to work to pay for it.

Old 03-24-2014, 11:10 AM

4,414 posts, read 3,349,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
My preteen nephew has both an iPad and iPhone. (So does my teenage nephew, but when they're not even teens, it just seems that much worse.) My father will be buying a car for my teenage nephew when he turns 16 because it's a necessity the day they turn 16 and my sister and BIL can't afford it and he certainly can't be expected to work to pay for it.
Tell your dad that your nephew is out of touch with his peers.
Young Americans Driving Less - NY Times

Young People Driving Less, Embracing Other Transportation - USA Today

Despite what most people on here presume, future trends will likely show Millennials as a group to be thriftier than their Boomer parents. They'll have to be out necessity as their taxes will be higher and their salaries less thanks to the "have my cake and eat it too" policies of the Boomers.

Old 03-24-2014, 11:15 AM

12,063 posts, read 6,647,624 times
The parents of boomers did have it better than their parents, post wwII prosperity. They wanted it even better for their kids so they encouraged the boomers to want even more. I watched many middle class parents push their kids away from their family businesses, away from their community to become "successful", or upper middle class, go to a fancy school, etc. Lots of parents bragging on how their kids are going to do so much better, and looking to get their daughters married to rich guys. I have no idea why a secure middle class life was so shameful. These were not struggling families. This idea was only magnified in later generations.

Old 03-24-2014, 11:17 AM

27,180 posts, read 15,706,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
I had iPods and smartphones (only recently) but have only used tablets (iPads and the Androids) at stores and restaurants. This is coming from a millennial. Would they be nice, but I don't really have a use for them for the price.

I am not sure if the writer Stossel had got things right. The movements were helped by boomers though I would not give them total credit for it. Think about it, Martin Luther King and Malcolm X were both silents and were the two most influential people i the civil rights movements as well as anti-war movements (points brought up by silent and greatest generation professors.)

Old 03-24-2014, 11:34 AM

86,913 posts, read 102,377,003 times
So much to comment on. I'll split it up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Mon View Post
Well said! Especially this statement, "but it doesn't change that they spent 30 years fighting taxes and increasing spending and are going to become more dependent on SSI and Medicare than their parents while their kids, who "dreamt" their way to expensive liberal arts degrees are completely buried in student loan and debt can't afford to move out, are now going to be paying for their mistakes in the form of necessary tax increases that we also can't afford. "

To generalize, the Boomers were able to build affluence by using the legal, financial and physical infrastructure built by their parents, but weren't willing to pay the taxes to maintain it, thus passing future costs and ultimately less opportunity to their children and grandchildren. Looking around the world you'll see that it's nigh impossible to live in a modern society that provides all of the services an aging population requires while at the same time providing chances for upward mobility with the tax rates we have in the US.
So the worthwhile things that happened in our adulthood we had nothing to do with, but the bad things are all our fault! How convenient! Did you really mean SSI? That is for the disabled! We older Boomers are probably the first working folks to have paid into Medicare our entire working careers (Medicare started in 1966). Many of the Greatest Gen paid into SS for a short time only (starting in 1935), and some didn't pay into Medicare very long at all. And do tell, what taxes have the Boomers lowered in the last 30 years? Income tax deductions on interest have been severely restricted over the years; you used to be able to deduct ALL interest, credit card, car loan, what have you. Now it's just mortgage.

Old 03-24-2014, 11:37 AM

86,913 posts, read 102,377,003 times
Quote:
This is true, raised as a middle class baby boomer, we had just enough and were not lavished with a ton of stuff at X-mas. I got 2 pairs of pants and 2 shirts at the beginning of the school year and made do with what I already had. I never thought any thing of it and never wished or cried for more. I learned to live with what I had. As I grow older, I look back and am appreciative of what I had and what my parents did for me. I don't know why some are not happy or satisfied with what they have, it could always have been worse.
But that wasn't everyone! My mom used to talk about people who went "all out" at Christmas especially.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Mon View Post
Tell your dad that your nephew is out of touch with his peers.
Young Americans Driving Less - NY Times

Young People Driving Less, Embracing Other Transportation - USA Today

Despite what most people on here presume, future trends will likely show Millennials as a group to be thriftier than their Boomer parents. They'll have to be out necessity as their taxes will be higher and their salaries less thanks to the "have my cake and eat it too" policies of the Boomers.
I don't put a lot of stock in these fluff articles like the above. Go by any high school and look at the parking lot-full-even in somewhat lower income communities. My millenial kids have cars as do their friends, SOs, etc. And thriftier? Again, I have a bird's eye view of millenials. I. . . don't. . . think. . . so!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or