Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2014, 08:13 AM

13 posts, read 11,743 times

Advertisements

There's too much negativity here. So let's brighten things up a bit.

I challenge anyone posting in this thread to identify a politician (currently serving, a candidate, a former office holder, etc.) or a public figure related to politics (pundit, journalist, etc.) that you strongly dislike or disagree with and then say something COMPLIMENTARY about that person. The rationale is that even politicians whom you can't stand must have at least ONE redeeming (and non-snarky) quality about them. Nobody can be all evil all the time!

For example:

I can't stand Sarah Palin.

However, I do believe she is more skilled than other politicians at speaking in terms the average voter can understand. Lots of politicians are overly verbose, but Palin's way of speaking is more accessible. I remember her being asked a question during the 2008 campaign about her views on abortion rights in the case that a mother wanted to abort a fetus that she knew would be born disabled. Palin expressed empathy for the parent, but said very clearly and without hemming and hawing (like other politicians who want to avoid offending others) that she was not flexible on this issue. Even though I strongly disagreed with her position, I respected her candor and appreciated her not using 100 words to say what could have been said in 10 words.

I actually feel a little warmer towards Palin after typing this. I'm interested in seeing how this little experiment goes. Remember, no negativity! Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2014, 08:32 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,678,440 times
Barack Obama seems to be faithful to his wife, he's no J.F. Kennedy or Bill Clinton

Old 03-24-2014, 08:49 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,159,824 times
Barrack Obama serves as an excellent role model of a black father and husband, which we sorely need in this nation.

Old 03-24-2014, 08:58 AM

18,381 posts, read 19,020,549 times
loved, loved, loved how george dodged the shoe and gave a big smile after. he too is a great dad and hubby.

Old 03-24-2014, 09:10 AM

1,868 posts, read 3,068,288 times
George W. Bush funded NASA pretty well and wanted to start up a new mission to the moon to establish a staging point for Mars.... But then terrorism happened. I really liked that Bush had an interest in our space program even if it was only because he is from Texas and Houston has a massive NASA operation there.

Obama doesn't seem to want to fund NASA nearly as much as Bush but I understand Obama is under intense pressure to cut the deficit.

Old 03-24-2014, 09:16 AM

12,711 posts, read 13,479,163 times
I've said before that Sarah Palin is probably a nice lady and a good mom.

There are a lot of conservative writers whose work I admire. Pat Buchanan and Ann Coulter can turn a memorable phrase. David Frum is usually interesting. I admire writers of any stripe more than politicians in general, because they don't had to be two-faced hypocrites.

Old 03-24-2014, 09:18 AM

6,262 posts, read 5,070,063 times
I agree re: Obama seeming to be a good husband and father.

I sat here drinking coffee for a couple of minutes and looking at a blank screen, trying to think of anyone else I could mention. VERY tough exercise (good for you OP ). I just honestly feel like so many liberal politicians at the state and national level have gone off the rails.

All I could come up with is that Nancy Pelosi's hair looks like she hacked at it in some wild eyed, late night, presciption med induced frenzy, but she wears nice suits. Sorry - that's all I got.

Old 03-24-2014, 09:19 AM

1,825 posts, read 1,419,211 times
I have always thought John McCain has a lot of personal honor both in terms of his courage in Vietnam, and drawing a line he won't cross in politics.

Old 03-24-2014, 09:20 AM

3,537 posts, read 2,735,703 times
How about a general statement- I believe most every person who is elected to office has good and noble intentions for America. Though they maynot know what really works. I say most because there are always the corrupt few.

Old 03-24-2014, 09:23 AM

6,262 posts, read 5,070,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomBen View Post
How about a general statement- I believe most every person who is elected to office has good and noble intentions for America.
I DO believe that most started out that way. But I also believe that the money, privilege, power, increasing distance (physical and time) away from the constituents they are supposed to represent, inevitably forces politicians to lose their way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies