U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2014, 09:01 AM

8,018 posts, read 6,552,710 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
Until the underlined a very good post.

But there was no favor by either employer or employee...ever.

Businessmen take the risk to make far more than they ever could as employees. Employees take the job because they view trading their services for money a good deal.

There is no more of a favor there than a hotel taking your money for a room.

Now your mistake on that line does not change the fact you are right: the purpose of a business is NOT to create jobs, nor should it be.
This.

Yes businesses don't exist to create jobs but in a way, they want to be job creators. More often than not, creating jobs means that the company is profitable and expanding. And as a result need more people to help operations flow smoothly and efficiently. Unless you are a mega corp this is how it is. So there is no obligations or favors, people need jobs, businesses need people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2014, 09:03 AM

3,914 posts, read 4,198,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Costaexpress View Post
Americans are brainwashed into thinking that the rich and businesses are job creators. Somehow businesses purpose is to create jobs. Then ordinary people's jobs are to accept the jobs businesses are obligated to create. Now that businesses aren't creating as many jobs and offshore these jobs, The bitterness of the population starts. Where is my job. You creat jobs right. Where is it!

People never realize that the purpose of business is not simply creating jobs. Jobs are a result of business demand. Jobs are a byproduct of business. But nope. That's not how the average person in today's America thinks. They think As if businesses are just there to provide them jobs. No understanding of how business works. Everything from their own perspective. Everything revolves around what they want.

One has to be totally complacent to spoiling to reach this level of self unawareness. it is the responsibility of workers to look for jobs and prepare themselves for jobs.

Most new businesses fail. At least they tried. I wonder what the average person has done in addition to ridiculing businesses for not doing a favor?

The lie about job creators, with its expectations, must stop.

Excellent post. Which is why we attack unions all the time. For quite a few who are union, they actually believe the company is there for them. And when that fails, let the pension guarantee fund kick in. Explains precisely why Dodge, GM, and Ford produce mediocre products. They are pension companies that make cars part-time.

Between their pension obligations and the pressures from being publicly traded, it's a miracle they exist at all. Hard to pay folks 60-70K a year to keep "the yard up" around the plants let alone the workers employed.

No one owes any of us, anything. We are responsible for our own destinies. If you are having trouble at this point in your life, my sympathies but, there will be good times and bad. Plan ahead, work hard(er) and prosper.

Old 03-25-2014, 09:12 AM

4,103 posts, read 4,243,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcar Overkill View Post
You can create your own corporation. Independent grocery stores are actually on the rise. For example, Detroit has no chain grocery stores, at least as of a few years ago.
Yes you CAN create your own business if you specialize or have something unique to offer. However once a large corp sees what youre doing, and sees that it is impacting their revenue....they will adapt and overcome. Here in Florida some people tried openning healthy organic supermarkets. Well Publix caught on to that and simply created the Greenwise section in their stores which killed the niche organic stores' business. It happens all the time. Watch the documentaries and read the stories about how Walmart came into town and virtually destroyed the local economy. There are tons of towns that are DENYING Walmart a location due to the effect it has on the business owners.

Old 03-25-2014, 09:14 AM

28,359 posts, read 61,597,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post
A successful business makes enough cash flow to pay its employees
and payback it's owners a return on their investment.
aka Accounting 101

Quote:
...when some parts of the country add jobs and others do not we see...
...work hours being shifted to lower cost areas. NOT new job creation.

Old 03-25-2014, 09:21 AM

256 posts, read 312,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Costaexpress View Post
No One took away your jobs. you can run your own small business. plenty of people do that. Many corporations were once small businesses. This whole owe mentality is very entitled.
Where would you get the money and resources to open your own business? If it were that simple I'm sure a lot more people would be doing it.

Old 03-25-2014, 09:26 AM

2,485 posts, read 1,836,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguydownsouth View Post
Yes you CAN create your own business if you specialize or have something unique to offer. However once a large corp sees what youre doing, and sees that it is impacting their revenue....they will adapt and overcome. Here in Florida some people tried openning healthy organic supermarkets. Well Publix caught on to that and simply created the Greenwise section in their stores which killed the niche organic stores' business. It happens all the time. Watch the documentaries and read the stories about how Walmart came into town and virtually destroyed the local economy. There are tons of towns that are DENYING Walmart a location due to the effect it has on the business owners.
No one is saying they like what Walmart is doing in town. Businesses of all sizes are important. Small businesses create a lot of jobs. But here many people think businesses owe them.

Small businesses also hire a large number of undocumented immigrants who have good work ethic.

As a worker, you need to gain skills. The rest is competition. The more workers there are, the more difficult it becomes.

Old 03-25-2014, 09:37 AM

400 posts, read 459,184 times
Quote:
Therefore yes, they do owe you a job....because they took your job from you in the first place.
As a business owner and a job creator, I owe no one anything. I choice to grow my wealth by taking a gamble on another human being to provide services to help me acquire more profits. I could hold my money in the bank and just buy things I like but I choice to spread it out.

Old 03-25-2014, 10:14 AM

400 posts, read 459,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baileytinn View Post
Where would you get the money and resources to open your own business? If it were that simple I'm sure a lot more people would be doing it.
It is that simple if you are smart and know how to make sacrifices, good financial decisions, find your passion and build with it. Having good credit and a steady income, filing yearly taxes to show that income on is the key. You can get loans which are key to starting a business if you have income and show you pay your bills on time. That is how the majority of small businesses are started. You have to have a business plan and be sure that you can dedicate yourself to your goals. It seems impossible because everyone wants to start out big and be rich quick but it takes time and lots of effort. Everyone I know in my family and amongst friends who are business owners dedicated huge portions of their life to their passions to make their dreams come true.

One of the most popular bakery and Italian restaurants in my area was started by my Husband's family. It was started by a husband who could not speak English well but knew how to keep his credit up while he worked at a grocery store and a wife who knew how to please customers to keep them coming into their then small restaurant. Now they own 3 very successful restaurants with the option to grow outside of the area because they are so popular with visitors to our region.

Old 03-25-2014, 11:21 AM

2,771 posts, read 2,485,182 times
Thank you for admitting what so many of us knew and why we elected and re-elected President Obama.

President Bush and Mitt Romney were full of s*** with all of their "You can't tax the job creators" propaganda.

The goal is, has always been, and will probably always be about the greedy rich protecting their money at the expense of the working poor and middle class.

Old 03-25-2014, 11:51 AM

7,946 posts, read 7,855,281 times
Quote:
When Walmart comes to town, people get to pay less money for everything, giving them more money to spend on other things, creating jobs for more people. Did some mom and pop go out of business because they can no longer gouge people for $4 for a loaf of bread? GOOD! That extra $2 is now in my pocket, and I can spend it on other things instead of throwing it away on an inefficient operation.

When Walmart is in town, people can use less of their salary for necessities and save more money for other nobler purposes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies