Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2014, 05:18 PM

9,763 posts, read 10,491,895 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
You are absolutely right, but this is on a philosophical level that most cannot begin to digest.

The corporation became the enemy of the people in America when it (collectively speaking) crossed the line into off-shoring, making it impossible for Americans to compete for its jobs. Cross that line and cost cutting becomes treason.

Until people en mass start to "get" this, our downward spiral will continue. Thank you for your posts.
Agree 100%. However, globalization is bringing opportunity to previously impoverished people. Globalization will (and should, IMO) continue, and it is the right thing to do. It sucks that the American worker suffers because of it, but the answer is not isolationism, IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2014, 05:43 PM

41,111 posts, read 25,574,432 times
Quote:
You are absolutely right, but this is on a philosophical level that most cannot begin to digest.

The corporation became the enemy of the people in America when it (collectively speaking) crossed the line into off-shoring, making it impossible for Americans to compete for its jobs. Cross that line and cost cutting becomes treason.

Until people en mass start to "get" this, our downward spiral will continue. Thank you for your posts.
And then Democrats are all for illegal immigration... taking the jobs that are left. Why outsource when you can bring the labor to you.

Old 03-25-2014, 05:44 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,633,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
Agree 100%. However, globalization is bringing opportunity to previously impoverished people. Globalization will (and should, IMO) continue, and it is the right thing to do. It sucks that the American worker suffers because of it, but the answer is not isolationism, IMO.
You cannot possibly "agree 100%" and then go on to say that globalization is "the right thing to do".

Because what I am saying is that, from the perspective of the average American (i.e. the American working man or woman), globalization is moral/ethical bankruptcy and is treasonous in terms of the damage done to our once great nation.

I think you forgot the "Dis" at the beginning of your first sentence, because globalization is the destruction of America as we knew it and the moral equivalent of 911.

Old 03-25-2014, 05:51 PM

2,389 posts, read 2,988,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguydownsouth View Post
Ok so here it goes. Businesses DO owe you a job. Why? Because they took your job from you in the first place. Ill explain. In an economy everyone works to support themselves, and they exchange their services with one another. The farmer grows food for the carpenter, who makes furniture for the plumber....etc. However.....corporations have come into the picture and grossly skewed that system. They replace individual tradesmen with an hourly workforce which serves to funnel profit to the top. These corporations have many tools in their belt to beat out the competition. It is nearly impossible to compete against most of these companies. Therefore yes, they do owe you a job....because they took your job from you in the first place.

Those evil corporations! Just think about how much better everyone's standard of living was before corporations came along! We all lived like Kings! Never a care in the world, and out life expectancy was so much longer.

Ahhhh, yes, I pine for those better times.

Old 03-25-2014, 06:10 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,893,067 times
Quote:
, we are insourcing some mfg. It has strengthened the best of the US manufacturers, and crippled the weak business models, as it shoud.

All competition is terrific.

Old 03-25-2014, 06:22 PM

11,337 posts, read 10,972,930 times
Some fantastic rational replies here. Plus, does anyone want to bring the retarded up to speed on the fact that obscene corporate profits raise the price of stocks. The same stocks owned by your 401K and your poor little grandma whose lemonade stand was closed by Walmart.

Obscene profits are the best thing in the world.

Old 03-25-2014, 06:23 PM

Quote:
You cannot possibly "agree 100%" and then go on to say that globalization is "the right thing to do".
Sure I can. I agree 100% that international corporations have become the enemy of American workers, which is what you wrote. That doesn't mean globalization isn't the right thing to do for the rest of the world.

Quote:
Because what I am saying is that, from the perspective of the average American (i.e. the American working man or woman), globalization is moral/ethical bankruptcy and is treasonous in terms of the damage done to our once great nation.

I think you forgot the "Dis" at the beginning of your first sentence, because globalization is the destruction of America as we knew it and the moral equivalent of 911.
Yes, I agree, though I think your rhetoric is a bit strong. I certainly wouldn't compare it to 9/11. Globalization began thousands of years ago, and is inevitable. We may suffer today, but in the long run, the goal should be to lift as many people out of poverty worldwide as we can. This would go much further in preventing another 9/11 than any military or intelligence option.

I'm a working man, as I suspect you are, and it sucks right now to be an American worker. I agree with you 100% on that issue, but I'm looking at the bigger picture.

Old 03-25-2014, 07:58 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,633,818 times
Quote:
Sure I can. I agree 100% that international corporations have become the enemy of American workers, which is what you wrote. That doesn't mean globalization isn't the right thing to do for the rest of the world.

Yes, I agree, though I think your rhetoric is a bit strong. I certainly wouldn't compare it to 9/11. Globalization began thousands of years ago, and is inevitable. We may suffer today, but in the long run, the goal should be to lift as many people out of poverty worldwide as we can. This would go much further in preventing another 9/11 than any military or intelligence option.

I'm a working man, as I suspect you are, and it sucks right now to be an American worker. I agree with you 100% on that issue, but I'm looking at the bigger picture.
Well, then....your personal goal should be to go to your bank, withdraw all but your next month's rent, then drive to the poorest end of whatever town you live in, and lift as many people as you can from their poverty. You may suffer today, but in the long run, think what you'll do toward preventing your next burglary or armed assault.

Globalization began thousands of years ago?

Increasingly I can scarcely believe what I read here. Good day.

Old 03-25-2014, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Well, then....your personal goal should be to go to your bank, withdraw all but your next month's rent, then drive to the poorest end of whatever town you live in, and lift as many people as you can from their poverty. You may suffer today, but in the long run, think what you'll do toward preventing your next burglary or armed assault.
Charity has proven to be ineffective at reducing poverty, as opposed to putting someone to work.

Quote:
Globalization began thousands of years ago?
Nations didn't begin trading with each other in 1980.

Quote:
Increasingly I can scarcely believe what I read here.
That's because you keep smacking yourself in the head for no reason. Try an ibuprofen or two.

Quote:
Good day
Thanks. And a good day to you.

Last edited by nvxplorer; 03-25-2014 at 08:20 PM..

Old 03-25-2014, 08:20 PM

7,359 posts, read 5,439,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguydownsouth View Post
Ok so here it goes. Businesses DO owe you a job. Why? Because they took your job from you in the first place. Ill explain. In an economy everyone works to support themselves, and they exchange their services with one another. The farmer grows food for the carpenter, who makes furniture for the plumber....etc. However.....corporations have come into the picture and grossly skewed that system. They replace individual tradesmen with an hourly workforce which serves to funnel profit to the top. These corporations have many tools in their belt to beat out the competition. It is nearly impossible to compete against most of these companies. Therefore yes, they do owe you a job....because they took your job from you in the first place.
"they do owe you a job....because they took your job from you in the first place"

Uh, no.

The fact that corporation can produce goods and services at a level you cannot compete with does not lead to the conclusion that they therefore took your job from you. There is no logical connection between the two.

Your argument implies that you are entitled to a job. Something cannot be taken from you unless you had it to begin with. So where did this job that was yours and yours alone come from? Did God bestow a job upon you? Fate? Mother Earth? Where did you get this job that the corporation took from you? Where did your sole ownership over this job come from, such that when the job was lost you are entitled to compensation for it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies