Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2007, 11:49 PM

2,935 posts, read 6,716,398 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sliver203 View Post
Thank you for showing us another shooting incident in a state with gun laws that are too relaxed.
Hmm... so proof that someone illegally posessing a gun in their car was able to prevent further bloodshed doesn't prove the point that allowing a student body to be armed would have severely limited the capabilties of the VT murderer?

No sense in arguing with an illogical person...

Old 12-05-2007, 11:50 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,437,415 times
Quote:
Lindsey-

When people get depressed and anxious, they hit rock bottom. When you hit rock bottom, you don't think you can lift yourself up. This kid was obviously filled with angst/hurt, had access to a gun at home (as shooters ALWAYS do) and decided to use the weapon to announce his emotions.

It's all about gun control - allowing guns into the RIGHT homes.
Well yes, I get that. My point is that just because some people are idiots ( like this guy) that doesn't mean everyone (except the criminals of course) should be deprived the right to protect themselves using a firearm.

My point is that maybe people should be paying a little MORE attention to what their loved ones are going through. Maybe people should be paying attention to where they leave their firearms.

I own a .38. When I am home, its loaded and laying in my bedside table, literally within arms reach should someone break in my home. If I am NOT at home, it has a trigger lock on it (gun unloaded). If someone were to get thatgun with the trigger lock on it, all they could do is throw it at someone. That is the responsible way to own a gun, uless of course you have a gun safe which is even better.

Old 12-05-2007, 11:51 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,193,095 times
I don't blame my pen when I misspell words either.

but pens don't spell bad, people do... exactly!

Old 12-05-2007, 11:52 PM

5,758 posts, read 11,636,388 times
I think the kid's parents need to be interrogated AT LENGTH to tease out just how they raised such a murderous psycho.

Old 12-05-2007, 11:53 PM

2,935 posts, read 6,716,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tablemtn View Post
I think the kid's parents need to be interrogated AT LENGTH to tease out just how they raised such a murderous psycho.
Well... whoever allowed access to the gun by not securing it should be charged with negligent homicide, imho.

Old 12-05-2007, 11:54 PM

333 posts, read 467,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
Guns are great for killing human beings, in fact I own one for this specific purpose and no other(aside from target practice). I also hope that I never have to use this weapon for this purpose but better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

In a greater sense, why does anything have to have a purpose even if it has the ability to kill? Are you so offended by the weapons of poverty, inequity, and injustice that also take the lives of people each day, only not in such a grand fashion but all equally unnecessary?

The argument that this youth committed this act BECAUSE the gun was available is not an answer to why, only to how. From what I understand he was depressed and extremely unhappy and very disillusioned to which I would wonder why does one unhappy youth go on to be President and another seeks attention that he felt he was not getting by killing others and ultimately himself.
You just answered "why" as I have above as well. He hit rock bottom, saw the gun as an opportunity and took advantage of it. Nearly every mass-killer has either bought the gun due to relaxed gun laws, or stolen it from home.

How this doesn't translate into a gun control issue for so many people is way beyond me. Note the gun deaths by country chart in the previous pages. Take a hard look at it, think about it. Still see nothing wrong?

But really, you didn't answer my question. What are guns good for (besides law enforcement, of course)?

And just because your posts are verbose doesn't mean you're correct.

Old 12-05-2007, 11:58 PM

333 posts, read 467,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
Well yes, I get that. My point is that just because some people are idiots ( like this guy) that doesn't mean everyone (except the criminals of course) should be deprived the right to protect themselves using a firearm.

My point is that maybe people should be paying a little MORE attention to what their loved ones are going through. Maybe people should be paying attention to where they leave their firearms.

I own a .38. When I am home, its loaded and laying in my bedside table, literally within arms reach should someone break in my home. If I am NOT at home, it has a trigger lock on it (gun unloaded). If someone were to get thatgun with the trigger lock on it, all they could do is throw it at someone. That is the responsible way to own a gun, uless of course you have a gun safe which is even better.
Just being an idiot is MUCH different than being a mass-murderer. And yes, because "some people are idiots" means everyone should be deprived of the right. When countless lives are lost because of "some..idiots", something must be done.

Sorry, maybe that's just the humane part of me coming out.

Old 12-05-2007, 11:59 PM

397 posts, read 264,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twojciac View Post
Yes, only an idiot would knowingly walk into a classroom where they may be armed students and draw a weapon. You're right.
so would America be a safer place if every man women and child had a gun?

Old 12-06-2007, 12:00 AM

11,135 posts, read 14,193,095 times
Quote:
But really, you didn't answer my question. What are guns good for (besides law enforcement, of course)?
As you just answered your own question. For the enforcement of law. I am by law allowed to protect and defend my life and the life of my family from the danger posed by nefarious individuals who wish to do me harm. This in my opinion is good.

It would not bother me personally if there were no guns in the world, in fact, ode be to joy but this is about as realistic as George Bush pronouncing colloquialism or me winning the lotto three times in a row. Until such time as this Utopian notion exist in reality, then I will continue to obey the law and blame and give credit to my keyboard for what you all see here.

Old 12-06-2007, 12:03 AM

10,757 posts, read 35,437,415 times
Quote:
Just being an idiot is MUCH different than being a mass-murderer. And yes, because "some people are idiots" means everyone should be deprived of the right. When countless lives are lost because of "some..idiots", something must be done.

Sorry, maybe that's just the humane part of me coming out.
No one is going to deprive me of the right to defend myself and my daughter and my home because of someone like this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies