Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2007, 09:48 AM

3,337 posts, read 5,119,588 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorningGlory View Post
By a teacher! In a PUBLIC school! I was livid! How DARE anyone teach my child to hate! How dare they teach my child that every member of any religion wanted to kill!

I call the school, anonymously describe what happened (my son wants no retaliation), sirens go off, the principal informs the fundamentalist christian teacher that what she "taught" was not ok, it was not her job. The teacher argues that ALL muslims think that! The principal had to explain a whole bunch of stuff to her. I am asked by the principal to please, please inform the school if any such thing is said again. The teacher also "taught" that all geographic features could be divided into "god-made" and "man-made". When the principal confronted the teacher the teacher insisted that EVERYONE believes in a god, so it should not offend anyone.

So, would you insist that the teacher be fired? I am seriously worried about what she has "taught" that might stick with my son forever, how ugly and sad. I have already spent weeks undoing the hate-teaching, should she still be teaching?
Just playing devil's advocate here; what were the teachers exact words?

(BTW, regardless of the verbage, I don't think it was proper for that teacher either)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2007, 09:58 AM

3,589 posts, read 4,148,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooner_Nation_60 View Post
There will always be people who live in a fantasy world and think Muslim terror isn't a big deal. Hiding their heads in the sand won't make it any less real...
Of course it's a big deal, but what the teacher said was stupid. Assuming that all Muslims are terrorists is stupid.

Old 12-06-2007, 10:04 AM

8,425 posts, read 12,185,391 times
Default Be watchful!

Recently in the Chicago Public schools (OK, within the last 10 years) there was a teacher who lectured in grammar schools that the Persian Gulf War was the fault of the Jews. Another teacher (who is Jewish) remarked that all Arabs are "stupid and ignorant". In the last instance a young half-Jordanian kid who was in preschool with my child took issue with the remarks.

Teachers are not immune to ignorance and prejudice and parents everywhere should call them on this when they try to spread this venom in the schools. As can be seen, this is not restricted to conservatives or liberals or to a particular religion.

Old 12-06-2007, 10:39 AM

12,669 posts, read 20,447,035 times
There was something like this on Glen Beck last week. She wrote a book or something. But anyways she was talking about the hate and how they are teaching this to kids early and it is here in the USA I believe she said in the new schools they were building.
They are teaching the kids that killing them self in the name of ????? whoever was good.
Pretty scary stuff.

Old 12-06-2007, 10:47 AM

6,993 posts, read 17,365,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theroc5156 View Post
Paterson, New Jersey has a high population of militant Muslims that celebrated. I know this for a fact because a best friend of mine is a detective in Passaic County and had to investigate.
I guess that seals it then

Old 12-06-2007, 10:59 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,628,555 times
Quote:
There will always be people who live in a fantasy world and think Muslim terror isn't a big deal. Hiding their heads in the sand won't make it any less real...
Bar a few nutters and fundamentalists,we all think ANY form of terrorism is a big deal , implying otherwise is insulting to all of us. Some Muslims are terrorists as are other people from religions or philosophical ideologies. It's like saying thousand of white men rape women every year so all white men are rapists. It is plainly idiotic and intellectually dishonest.

A child deserves to be told the truth not some fabricated, hysterical nonsense made up by people who are as fanatic as the people they so decry.
We are not burying our heads in the sand about terrorism , we are questioning and challenging the received wisdom that a small group of extremists murderers make an entire faith guilty by association.

That is called using your brains not having a knee-jerk reaction, just spewing out ignorant jingoistic rubbish just because it sounds good and tough.

If anyone can be accused of being in an Ivory tower on the subject of foreign policies it seems to be the faction who thinks that demonizing an entire belief system on the actions of a few for political ends of dubious morality is a great plan and the way forward for peace and democracy.

I suggest some people should get out and about a bit more and find out what the vast majority of Muslims are like. Nice , normal,decent, hard working human beings trying to live, laugh, work, feed their families and enjoy their existence as much as we do.

Old 12-06-2007, 11:45 AM

3,885 posts, read 8,122,758 times
Quote:
You feel that a 6th grader ~ age 12 or 13 ~ is too young to know about 9/11 and the radical Muslims who hate America?? Remember all the children who lost fathers and mothers and aunts and uncles?? A 6th grade student is not too young to know....
A 6th grader is too young to be able to logically distinguish between "some" and "all". And who is to say that there isn't a child of Islamic faith sitting there feeling very uncomfortable because there is now the possibility that his friends will fear him or he will be catagorized as evil. It isn't a necessity and it doesn't belong in the classroom.

Old 12-06-2007, 12:19 PM

640 posts, read 461,530 times
A 6th grader is NOT too young to know the difference in GOOD and BAD whether it's in regards to religion or stealing or any other subject. Good, bad, right or wrong ~ it's a concept MOST kids learn from day 1. To say a kid is too young is saying you don't feel they can comprehend something very basic. That's insulting to a 12 year old.

Old 12-06-2007, 12:21 PM

638 posts, read 2,280,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnulus View Post
I hope you aren't moving from Colorado just because of the "red state" thing. Colorado has some redeeming stuff, I'm sure. It just has alot of fundamentalists in certain areas (where are you, in the suburbs of Denver? Denver itself is a fairly progressive city).

However, you do have the right to insist your child, and his classmates, aren't subjected to rightwing religious propoganda masquerading as comparative religion.
I am in Woodland Park, part of the red triangle (Co Springs/Woodland Park/Canon City). We are trying to get back up to Denver, cant wait! I love Denver.

Old 12-06-2007, 12:25 PM

638 posts, read 2,280,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theroc5156 View Post
Just playing devil's advocate here; what were the teachers exact words?

(BTW, regardless of the verbage, I don't think it was proper for that teacher either)
Exact words, written down for me and the principal by my son, and confirmed by the teacher: "a Muslim's only way to go to heaven is to kill a Christian."

and "The way to remember the difference between natural and cultural characteristics is that natural characteristics are God-made and cultural characteristics are people-made."

Last edited by MorningGlory; 12-06-2007 at 12:47 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies