U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2014, 08:09 PM

31,005 posts, read 19,500,891 times

Advertisements

Lincoln
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2014, 08:21 PM

14,663 posts, read 10,558,539 times
Democrat: Truman
Republican: Roosevelt

Interestingly, both were not elected for their first term but got there by the death of the sitting president. I suspect neither of these blunt, honest men, who were unafraid to make hard, unpopular choices could have been elected on their own for a first term.

Old 03-25-2014, 08:45 PM
LML

7,109 posts, read 8,101,868 times
Best Republicans.....Lincoln and Eisenhower
Best Democrat.....FDR

Old 03-25-2014, 09:36 PM

3,904 posts, read 6,181,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSloan View Post
Best Republican President? Abraham Lincoln
By today's standards he would make Obama look like a conservative.
Lincoln campaigned on left wing policies.
He was the most liberal republican in US history.
I think Nixon gives Lincoln a good run for his money in that department.

Old 03-25-2014, 11:37 PM

5,473 posts, read 9,525,316 times
Best Republican President? Tricky Dicky.

Best Republican Vice President? Spiro T. Agnew.

Old 03-26-2014, 01:56 AM

32,292 posts, read 26,146,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Personal pecadilloes aside, I thought Clinton was great. Could've been better, but hell, all of them could've been.

I think Walker Bush got a bad rap...he wasn't bad either.

The real disappointment for me is Nixon...if he wasn't so damn paranoid, he really could've been a great president. His presidency really wasn't bad outside of Watergate.
clinton was a decent president, as you said though he could have been better. and i also agree with you on bush43 and nixon.

for me the best presidents we have had in no particular order are;

reagan
clinton
lincoln
FDR
eisenhower
truman
JFK

these guys all did the job that needed to be done, and they did it by encouraging the people to move forward with a positive attitude. i may disagree with some of their policies, but i can understand why they did what they did.

two more that should be on that list are harding and coolidge.

Old 03-26-2014, 07:25 AM

3,537 posts, read 2,297,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwruckman View Post
Best Democratic President: Franklin Delano Roosevelt

Best Republican President: Theodore Roosevelt
We can use a Teddy clone today.

Old 03-26-2014, 07:37 AM

15,309 posts, read 7,821,308 times
I am an independent.

Eisenhower was the last great Republican president.
FD Roosevelt was the last great Democratic president.

ETA: Both Clinton and Reagan weren't so bad either, but if we are talking "great" then the two above fit the bill to me. I agree with another poster though about Nixon. He wouldn't have been so bad of a president if he hadn't had the Watergate thing. Other than Watergate, he was a decent president IMO. And FWIW, I don't understand the fascination that people have with JFK. He didn't do much as a president and it is always weird to me that people consider him "great" when he didn't really do anything as president. I think he had potential, but he was assassinated before he could really make an impact on the country IMO.

Old 03-26-2014, 09:14 AM

50,046 posts, read 26,520,803 times
How does Kennedy make so many people's list?

He accomplished very little.

And if you credit him for the Cuban Missile Crisis, he's just as much to blame for not putting a stop to the Bay of Pigs invasion when he sensed that it was gonna end up being a disaster beforehand.

Old 03-26-2014, 09:20 AM

50,046 posts, read 26,520,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
I am an independent.

Eisenhower was the last great Republican president.
FD Roosevelt was the last great Democratic president.

ETA: Both Clinton and Reagan weren't so bad either, but if we are talking "great" then the two above fit the bill to me. I agree with another poster though about Nixon. He wouldn't have been so bad of a president if he hadn't had the Watergate thing. Other than Watergate, he was a decent president IMO. And FWIW, I don't understand the fascination that people have with JFK. He didn't do much as a president and it is always weird to me that people consider him "great" when he didn't really do anything as president. I think he had potential, but he was assassinated before he could really make an impact on the country IMO.
As much as I like Ike, I gotta ding him for his foreign policy positions.

He let the CIA get WAAAAAY outta control...state department too. The Dulles Brothers ran roughshod over his administration with their tomfoolery.

Not too bad on civil rights though...Could've been better but could've been worse too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies