U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2014, 06:46 AM

20,310 posts, read 19,424,408 times

Advertisements

Sounds to me like she was fired for company theft. Where I work you get fired for the same thing. I know it was only a dollar or so, but some policies need to be a 0 tolerance. I know 1 guy who has fired when he was caught stealing about $3.00 with of stainless Steel bolts.
The employee should have paid for the coffee. Where does the owner draw the line? Up to $5.00 freebies? $10.00?
Then there is the problem with the homeless guy spreading the word. Free coffee at 7 Eleven. Now you have 10, 20 0r 30 homeless showing up for free coffee. But wait, you can't just give free coffee to some, it has to be free to all or you are being sued.
The employee obviously felt the price of 1 cup of coffee was no big deal. She should have paid for it.
Another thing. None of us know her employment history. The employee may have had many issues besides giving away a cup of coffee.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2014, 06:58 AM

2,049 posts, read 1,326,372 times
I think that everyone will agree that stealing is wrong. However, some will argue that stealing is justified, if it benefits the less fortunate.

I believe in helping the less fortunate, but I cannot justify stealing to accomplish that end.

Old 03-26-2014, 12:57 PM

15,908 posts, read 10,045,380 times
Technically the owner has the right to fire her, as it wasn't her coffee to give. Having said that were I the owner, and given the circumstances and her good intention, I don't know that I would fire her. I would however make it abundantly clear that in the future things like this need to be cleared with me first! It's not like she was giving away free stuff to her friends. She was actually doing a good deed, all though she just went about it the wrong way.

Old 03-26-2014, 01:06 PM

14,969 posts, read 14,182,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
I didn't read the story, but if this is indeed the entire story, she did the right thing and 7-11 doesn't deserve her as an employee.
Where should it end in your mind? What if she gave out $50 of free stuff to the homeless every day? What if every employee there did? Let's say they have 8 employees working there over the course of a day. That's $400 per day or $2800 per week.

I wouldn't have fired her, but you have to draw lines somewhere.

Old 03-26-2014, 01:15 PM

15,313 posts, read 7,823,215 times
I don't think she should have been fired. Her boss could have given her some leeway, especially since she paid for the coffee and she is only 19. She thought she was helping him out and the owner/manager could have taught her the lesson that if you give things away in the store, those same people will come back wanting more and they may bring friends. But if anything, he should be happy that his employee has empathy for other people's situation and was concerned about a potential customer.

As one can tell from this thread, empathy is in short supply in todays day and age. She should have been given a warning, not termination.

Old 03-26-2014, 02:11 PM

1,138 posts, read 857,194 times
She should be promoted, not fired.

Old 03-26-2014, 02:40 PM

14,969 posts, read 14,182,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by West Coast Republican View Post
She should be promoted, not fired.
But where do you draw the line?

Frankly, I agree with giving and all that and I agree with giving employees some flexibility, but I doubt too many 7-11s trust their employees enough to give them much leeway and I sadly agree that they shouldn't.

Old 03-26-2014, 02:51 PM

47,576 posts, read 60,490,480 times
She should have paid for it period. You can't steal from your employer, give stuff away to your friends and whoever.

Old 03-26-2014, 02:54 PM

47,576 posts, read 60,490,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erratikmind View Post
I think that everyone will agree that stealing is wrong. However, some will argue that stealing is justified, if it benefits the less fortunate.

I believe in helping the less fortunate, but I cannot justify stealing to accomplish that end.
Coffee isn't a necessity. It's good to donate to homeless shelters, donate coffee out of your money.

Old 03-26-2014, 03:12 PM

10,596 posts, read 13,089,891 times
She got in trouble for giving it away, And lying about it. Best strategy would have been to just buy him something straight up. Either way, Not going to be the end of her working life. An employer may oversee the violation of the rules vs her philanthropy now that it's public and offer her something. It's not like she gave the whole cash register away either.

My personal take if I were owner/manager. A warning not to give away items for free. A handshake. An expectation to follow the rules from then on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or