U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2014, 04:34 PM

29,546 posts, read 16,478,541 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Too bad.

I would fire her also, not her coffee to give away.......same thing as theft.
Exactly. She should have BOUGHT the man a cup of coffee.

Charity is giving of your own resources. Stealing from your employer and giving it away is not charity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2014, 04:37 PM

29,546 posts, read 16,478,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
Technically the owner has the right to fire her, as it wasn't her coffee to give. Having said that were I the owner, and given the circumstances and her good intention, I don't know that I would fire her. I would however make it abundantly clear that in the future things like this need to be cleared with me first! It's not like she was giving away free stuff to her friends. She was actually doing a good deed, all though she just went about it the wrong way.
Good point. But we don't know if this was her first theft. I believe in giving people a second chance. We don't know the whole story.

Old 03-26-2014, 05:05 PM

13,904 posts, read 11,476,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supachai View Post
The profit margin at convenience stores is tiny. Theft is a big concern at a convenience stores because it cuts into profits, which is the only reason the store exists in the first place. That girl's job only exists to help the store make money. Her job is not to hurt the store's bottom line, which she did when she gave away the store's coffee. Those that can't see why what she did was wrong simply don't understand how things work.
Those who don't understand it was theft, pure and simple, have never owned a business, and probably don't even have productive jobs.

Years ago I owned a flower shop. A friend of one of my employees died. Young, tragic accident. The employee asked if she could fix an arrangement for the funeral. I told her she could fix it at cost, and told her what products to use. My employee went way above what I told her to do and used a very expensive container and filled it chock full of expensive flowers.

Yep...I fired her. I was willing to break even for someone I didn't know but my employee wanted to make a big splash that doubled the cost. Not on my dime!

Businesses don't stay in business by giving away the merchandise.

Old 03-26-2014, 05:09 PM

18,677 posts, read 17,060,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Good point. But we don't know if this was her first theft. I believe in giving people a second chance. We don't know the whole story.
I do, too. If she volunteered at a homeless shelter for one month, I'd rehire her if it were my store.
She needs to demonstrate she is willing to put her skin in the game to show true empathy.

Old 03-26-2014, 08:03 PM

3,309 posts, read 2,301,476 times
I think a final written warning would be enough in this case, with the understanding that any further rules violations will result in termination. This could be a great teaching moment , as her heart was in the right place, but instead she was fired. LOL yet again at all the conservatives taking the hard line and "zero-tolerance" stance and wetting themselves in joy over her getting fired;I thought cons were against "zero-tolerance" stances, but here they seem to applaud it!! I swear the U$ is getting WORSE each day

Old 03-26-2014, 08:12 PM

22,707 posts, read 16,813,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeaveWI View Post
I think a final written warning would be enough in this case, with the understanding that any further rules violations will result in termination. This could be a great teaching moment , as her heart was in the right place, but instead she was fired. LOL yet again at all the conservatives taking the hard line and "zero-tolerance" stance and wetting themselves in joy over her getting fired;I thought cons were against "zero-tolerance" stances, but here they seem to applaud it!! I swear the U$ is getting WORSE each day
No one is "wetting themselves", control yourself.

She learned a very valuable lesson, one that she can take with her through her life. As someone else already pointed out, those convenience stores don't actually make a huge profit at the end of the day. I've worked in a convenience store, in the past, and they don't make squat, even with gas pumps. You don't give away what is not yours to give away.

What is getting worse is anyone who excuses theft and calls it charity. That is not charity. Charity is her giving the homeless man a cup of coffee, and pulling a dollar out of her own pocket to pay for it.

Old 03-26-2014, 08:48 PM

16,443 posts, read 16,545,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
I have to agree. She should have paid for the coffee if she wanted to give it away or asked.

I used to work as a waitress and every now and then we'd get a homeless person asking for food. I'd always get the manager and he'd always tell me what to give him. In all my years waiting tables I don't ever remember seeing a homeless woman coming in to ask for food.

I used to work in a convenience store.....the level of employee theft was insane.

A convenience store owner or manger best keep his employees in line, firings when needed.....or they will be out of business in short order.

Old 03-26-2014, 09:56 PM

9,440 posts, read 5,814,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by makaraka66 View Post
Interesting how conservatives are saying he did the right thing to fire her, tell me if his business goes down the tubes because of a $1 cup of coffee did he do the right thing ? A rather stupid reason to lose a business over.
Typical that the liberals see nothing wrong with giving away someone elses money. She could have pulled a dollar out of her own pocket and bought him a cup, but she choose not to.

Taking from the store for herself would be called shoplifting, the fact that she gave it to someone else doesn't change that.

Old 03-26-2014, 10:20 PM

47,573 posts, read 60,617,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
Ava Lins, a 19-year-old clerk at 7-11, started making small talk with a homeless man who came into the store last Thursday night. He told her that the homeless shelter was full and he didnít know where he was going to sleep. She told him to take a small cup of coffee, which costs about $1.

7-11 Clerk Says She Was Fired For Giving Freezing Homeless Man A $1 Cup Of Coffee | ThinkProgress
Another reason she deserved to be fired is that it's not really smart to try and lure the homeless to a store like a 7-11. Word would get out to all the homeless that there's free coffee there and some of those people might not be all there which puts both employees and paying customers at risk.

I knew a hospital surgery waiting room that put out free coffee and doughnuts for visitors, but the area bums learned of it and began showing up everyday feasting on the doughnuts and coffee and juice so that patient's visitors and family members ended up waiting out in the halls.

Old 03-26-2014, 10:55 PM

86,988 posts, read 102,554,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeaveWI View Post
Yes, exactly! Firing someone over the "theft" of a $1 cup of coffee was over the top. They could have asked for reimbursement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or