U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2014, 12:38 PM

4,120 posts, read 3,833,952 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by deevel79 View Post
I have no problem with it but what I do see as an issue is the stereotypical hashtags associated with the pic. #GoodCredit #DogKissing #BeerPong #FarmersMarkets #FistPumping #CreamCheeseEating etc..

Now imagine Justin Timberlake doing a blackface to promote an album and using the hashtags #watermelon eating #fried chicken #baby daddy #bad credit #pants sagging, etc....

Can u imagine the uproar from the black community!?
You ever wonder why white people get upset at having good stereotypes as opposed to negative stereotypes people try to attach to black people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2014, 12:40 PM

310 posts, read 218,353 times
First of all, Nick Cannon sucks.

With that out of the way, this is not white face so I don't know why people bring up black face as a comparison. However, if you get offended by people using black stereotypes and tell the people that are offended by this to get over it, you are probably a hypocrite.

Old 03-26-2014, 12:43 PM

5,014 posts, read 5,929,067 times
All in all I think its all a lame attempt to promote his wack upcoming album but in my opinion it has backfired! But then he goes on to say "I hope I do pizz some white people off!' That goes to show there was a bit of race baiting involved.

Old 03-26-2014, 12:46 PM

9,967 posts, read 14,612,674 times
Did anyone notice what the release date for the album is? I'm guessing this is a joke, and the date sort of confirms it.

Old 03-26-2014, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btsilver View Post
You ever wonder why white people get upset at having good stereotypes as opposed to negative stereotypes people try to attach to black people.
I am assuming that those that get offended are upset about the intent rather than the words themselves.

Old 03-26-2014, 12:48 PM

4,120 posts, read 3,833,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpperDecker30 View Post
I am assuming that those that get offended are upset about the intent rather than the words themselves.
I'm just saying if they use good stereotypes I wouldn't have an issue.

Old 03-26-2014, 12:49 PM

5,014 posts, read 5,929,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
Did anyone notice what the release date for the album is? I'm guessing this is a joke, and the date sort of confirms it.
Cool so if it were reversed and it were a white performer doing blackface, mentioning stereotypical hashtags along with the pic, and saying "I hope I do pizz some black people off".....it can be passed off as a joke as well as long as the debut for the album is on April 1st. right?

Old 03-26-2014, 12:50 PM

11,884 posts, read 10,383,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
Haha, yeah that's what I was thinking.

Old 03-26-2014, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
We're painting with an awfully broad brush here. My ancestors were not over here when slavery was going on in this country. So, yes while slavery was a negative part of this country's history, not every white person in this country is to blame for that, nor is any white person alive today, and therefore it is in fact a double standard.
This can't be stressed enough. There are millions of us white folks here in the US that had absolutely nothing to do with slavery, yet people will not hesitate to throw it in our faces as some BS excuse for double standards. Like brownsfan, my family came to the US after slavery and minstrel shows and had nothing to do with any of that. Not to mention the fact that none of us were even close to alive when this stuff was actually happening.

Old 03-26-2014, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btsilver View Post
I'm just saying if they use good stereotypes I wouldn't have an issue.
Don't get me wrong, I would not trade the stereotypes people use towards me for those used against black folks. However, depending on the context and the intent it can still upset people (not me, these things don't bother me at all). It is not the words themselves, it is what is behind those words that matter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies