U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2014, 12:55 PM

12,482 posts, read 8,790,386 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
Nick Cannon is facing a wave of controversy after wearing whiteface in a new photo.

The 33-year-old "America's Got Talent" host is about to release his first album in 11 years, "White People Party Music," and he took a unique approach to promoting his latest work.

Nick Cannon dons whiteface to promote "White People Party Music" album - CBS News
I am willing to bet if ryan seacrest put on black face to promote black people party music the left would go nuts
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2014, 01:01 PM

9,969 posts, read 14,530,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deevel79 View Post
Cool so if it were reversed and it were a white performer doing blackface, mentioning stereotypical hashtags along with the pic, and saying "I hope I do pizz some black people off".....it can be passed off as a joke as well as long as the debut for the album is on April 1st. right?
Well since I haven't ever been able to muster half a damn to care about Nick Cannon is doing ever before, I don't know why I'd start now. I don't care if white comedians don blackface either, if some white comedian wanted to try that approach to promote an album to be "edgy", it matters little to me(just seems sort of stupid overall though). What Cannon is doing just looks like ripped off that old Eddie Murphy skit(or something Dave Chappelle might have done)--which were funny when they first appeared. But it's just a promotional stunt.

But just because others might be outraged about something(anything) doesn't mean I'm going to be concerned with it. People like to play this game of relative offensiveness, "Wait, but what if ___ did that do you think it'd be alright?" Don't really care.

Quote:
I am willing to bet if ryan seacrest put on black face to promote black people party music the left would go nuts
Seacrest doesn't have the balls, if he did it would actually be the craziest thing he ever did and actually sort of be funny--for like a minute.

Last edited by Deezus; 03-26-2014 at 01:12 PM..

Old 03-26-2014, 01:06 PM

2,870 posts, read 1,650,796 times
Nick Cannon has done blackface too. So at least he's consistent.

Old 03-26-2014, 01:15 PM

15,908 posts, read 10,015,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpperDecker30 View Post
This can't be stressed enough. There are millions of us white folks here in the US that had absolutely nothing to do with slavery, yet people will not hesitate to throw it in our faces as some BS excuse for double standards. Like brownsfan, my family came to the US after slavery and minstrel shows and had nothing to do with any of that. Not to mention the fact that none of us were even close to alive when this stuff was actually happening.

I was born in 1973. So I grew up in a different time, and don't get hung up on the color of one's skin. It's their character, how they treat me, and how they treat others is how I judge someone. I assure you, I've never owned a slave. Nor have my parents, grandparents, or great grandparents. Nor have I attempted to keep someone down because of their skin color. The sooner we can all get past this BS over getting hung up over skin color, the better off we the people of this country will be.

Old 03-26-2014, 01:27 PM

6,868 posts, read 3,916,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHABAZZ310 View Post
Yes that is correct. And if you don't know why it's because you're ignorant of history...
Look, White people stopped doing this kind of stuff years ago because it offended and was a derogatory statement against black folks, that does not give blacks the right to turn around and do the same thing. Really hypocritical and totally wrong.

Old 03-26-2014, 01:32 PM

6,868 posts, read 3,916,545 times
Quote:
It's not a double standard, it's just the way things are... If you don't like being called out for blackface, your ancestors should have never done the minstrel acts in the first place.. Some opinions change over time while others do not...
So, with your reasoning if your father robbed a bank, you should go to prison? It was stopped, that means for everyone, then we move on from there. No one is responsible for the acts of there ancestors.

Old 03-26-2014, 01:52 PM

1,634 posts, read 1,014,714 times
Quote:
It's not a double standard, it's just the way things are... If you don't like being called out for blackface, your ancestors should have never done the minstrel acts in the first place.. Some opinions change over time while others do not...
In less than 50 words...

Why is it OK for your peers, who will be future black folks ancestors, to don whiteface?

Old 03-26-2014, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erjunkee View Post
Nick cannon is an ass.

Plain and simple.

No, it's not okay. It's disgusting, it's juvenile, it's inappropriate. It's wrong.

IMHO Cannon is bored and has no true career. He needed/wanted a way to gain some publicity for himself. And somehow, someway, someone in his life (Mariah Carey? His parents? Manager? Friends?) validated his decision, and he then proceeded forward. Honestly, I wouldn't give him the time of day. Perhaps this is the way of getting someone to do that.
This is true. Nick Cannon sucks beyond belief.

Old 03-26-2014, 01:55 PM

4,783 posts, read 4,208,257 times
Can someone complaining tell me why dumb things like this have to be fair?

Old 03-26-2014, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
It would go over badly because it SOUNDS DUMB and makes no sense.
Really? Because I can give you a MUCH clearer cut example of "Black People Church Music" than you can give me bonafide examples of "White People Party Music"

Wanna play the "Which makes more sense" game?

Just for fun, how did the following "sounds dumb" albums go over?

Stankonia
Peoples Instinctive Travels And The Paths Of Rhythm
Its Dark and Hell Is Hot
Hootie Mack
Wrecks-n-Effect
Enter The 36 Chambers

Makes a ton of sense....doesn't it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies