U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2014, 02:08 PM

1,634 posts, read 1,014,714 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sAutomatic View Post
Can someone complaining tell me why dumb things like this have to be fair?
Like marriage?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2014, 02:50 PM

4,215 posts, read 2,930,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chin_Muzik_NJ View Post
In less than 50 words...

Why is it OK for your peers, who will be future black folks ancestors, to don whiteface?
Let me ask you this: if people weren't ticked off by white people painting their faces black, would you care whether or not black people painted their faces white?

Old 03-26-2014, 03:04 PM

1,634 posts, read 1,014,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clintone View Post
Let me ask you this: if people weren't ticked off by white people painting their faces black, would you care whether or not black people painted their faces white?
This is a fallacious argument. There is no reason to reverse logic here because the scenario you suggest is not grounded in any reality.

Old 03-26-2014, 03:10 PM

12,521 posts, read 23,006,790 times
Quote:
Let a white artist make an album called

"Black people church music"

I'd love to see how well that would go over.
Yeah, right?

Imagine the national outrage if a White Country Music artist painted his face Black, put some big fake lips on, & made an album called that.

We live in a society now where reverse racism is OK & even exploited. Its sick.

Old 03-26-2014, 03:11 PM

Quote:
This is a fallacious argument. There is no reason to reverse logic here because the scenario you suggest is not grounded in any reality.
I do not understand.

My concern is that people are desiring a childish view of what they see as fairness, which stands a good chance of actually being unfair.

I really don't see reasons for white people to get upset about black people doing white face.
I see reasons for black people to get upset about white people doing black face.

There are exceptions, but only if the white face is particularly obscene and insulting, or if the black face is particularly innocent.

Old 03-26-2014, 03:14 PM

17,298 posts, read 25,601,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
I don't use any of the terms referenced and am currently dating interacially. I'm just trying to express why one is offensive, and the other isn't.

Your explanation, again, is self-referencing. Your explanation is "that's the way it is" without anyone really explaining to me, yet, how the history of racist minstrely has ANYTHING to do with why the use of black face is offensive. Honestly, you're really soul crushed by 1920s portrayals of black folks? Really?

If it's offensive, it's offensive regardless of it's history. As if there wasn't a racist minstrely history, the use of such imagery would be OK! It's not OK when it's mean spirited or racist in intent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe
All I see here is a bunch of fake outrage. Nobody really offended by his actions. Will go ask some of my white friends what they think about it.
The outrage is no less fake than the outrage whenever we must be subjected to breathless articles by black social commentators whenever a dumb frat decides to have a ghetto themed party.

Again: White people aren't generally offended by things like this, but by double standards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe
That has NOTHING to do with the topic at hand. Your link uses "White Chicks" as an example. Check the production date.
You need to actually read the article. White Chicks is only an introductory segment, to a history of mistrely practiced by blacks and whites that dates back to the Civil War.

Blacks performing as whites - Evolution of whiteface - Wayans brothers White Chicks

Old 03-26-2014, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clintone View Post
I do not understand.

My concern is that people are desiring a childish view of what they see as fairness, which stands a good chance of actually being unfair.

The childish view is referencing "history" as your guide as to why the same activity is treated differently.

It's a very small % of the population alive today had to live through minstrelry.

What makes something (a symbol, an action) mean spirited or racist has nothing to do with history unless the history is being referenced by the use of the symbol or blackface.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clintone
I really don't see reasons for white people to get upset about black people doing white face.
I see reasons for black people to get upset about white people doing black face.
Then you need to look harder. Maybe people don't like seeing racist stereotypes perpetuated by people who are not of their group. That in and of itself causes consternation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clintone
There are exceptions, but only if the white face is particularly obscene and insulting, or if the black face is particularly innocent.

Honestly, one should only ever get their panties in a wad about it if it's particular obscene and insulting.

Old 03-26-2014, 03:18 PM

49,679 posts, read 26,359,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
And again, "the history of blackface" literally has ZERO impact on how people should react to it today.

It is precisely my argument that context matters - be it white face, black face, Asian face.... whatever!

I just find it silly that people actually use "historical implications of blackface" as the reason they are offended by its use, often regardless of ANY context whatsoever.

Cause let's face it: Sometimes it's funny when a white person dons a black persona, and vice versa. White Chicks, for example. Or RDJ in Tropic Thunder. But the academic sociology victimization complex thrives on perpetuating "Absolute Truths(TM)" about race that people parrot as if they are true:

1) Black people can do white face but white folks can't do black face because history of minstrelism.

2) Black people can't be racist because they don't have power
Dude...go pick up your blood pressure pills.

Seriously tho.

Old 03-26-2014, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Dude...go pick up your blood pressure pills.

Seriously tho.

Calm as a leaf here, bruh.

We get it. You don't care. You're above it all. But something tells me you're not that content or blasť because this is the second time you've expressed concern for my health and apparent passion for the subject. Why do you care so much? And what evidence that anything I say is making my blood pressure rise?

I do believe I am discussing this issue calmly and rationally because I find it interesting. So, if you don't want to discuss, then get gone.

Old 03-27-2014, 07:44 AM

[quote=TriMT7;34050976]The childish view is referencing "history" as your guide as to why the same activity is treated differently.

It's a very small % of the population alive today had to live through minstrelry.

What makes something (a symbol, an action) mean spirited or racist has nothing to do with history unless the history is being referenced by the use of the symbol or blackface.

Then you need to look harder. Maybe people don't like seeing racist stereotypes perpetuated by people who are not of their group. That in and of itself causes consternation.

Honestly, one should only ever get their panties in a wad about it if it's particular obscene and insulting. [/quote]

I like the section in bold...but people get ticked off nonetheless, and I lack their experiences, so I try not to judge.

But why bring up white people potentially getting ticked off by whiteface, if your primary goal is that nobody would be ticked of by white or black face unless it was particularly obscene and insulting?

Why not just say: Everybody relax and don't worry too much about things that don't bother you too much?

Evidently, you don't worry about some contest developing between different races over who can become offended by the most things, with every increasing levels of people feigning being offended? I see that potential contest as a major threat. The best solution I see to avoiding that contest is allowing people who seem the most ticked off to complain the most, and avoiding stating that we're offended by things, unless we are particularly offended by them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies