U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2014, 07:47 AM

6,334 posts, read 4,428,422 times

Advertisements

Who is Nick Cannon and why should I care.

I've heard of Apollo Heights, good band, here is their album

Amazon.com: White Music for Black People: Music
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2014, 11:13 AM

26,720 posts, read 11,214,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHABAZZ310 View Post
It's not a double standard, it's just the way things are...
So you don't have to have a reason for things just make a statement and that's good enough. Because someone said so mentality.

Quote:
If you don't like being called out for blackface, your ancestors should have never done the minstrel acts in the first place.. Some opinions change over time while others do not...
Absolutely perfect. Blaming someone for the deeds of others. So what you are saying is don't look at the acts of the individual look at their skin color. Very hypocritical of you considering that was the problem in the first place. Okay for you to do it, not okay for others.

Old 03-27-2014, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
What?!?!?!? Go and re-read what you just posted, lol Are you seriously holding white people accountable for the actions of their white ancestors hundreds of years ago?

No, it's not even remotely the same as if say..... Justin Timberlake, went "black face" and put out an album called "black people party music"... If that were to happen there would be riots in the streets.

you know, the whole "no justice, no peace" speel...
Outrage yes, Standing in the streets no. Because Timberlake could be driving on those same streets.

Old 03-27-2014, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
Why would you want to call a black person the N word ????
Shouldn't your question be why would ANYONE want to call someone the N word?
Cannon is getting the publicity he wants but in the way he wasn't looking for. He comes across as a good man I think he blew it in this case.

Old 03-27-2014, 11:20 AM

21,660 posts, read 11,123,975 times
I think it is kind of funny.. lighten up folks... Nick Cannon did

Old 03-27-2014, 11:23 AM

1,661 posts, read 1,994,630 times
White people are too sensitive about these things.

Old 03-27-2014, 11:39 AM

8,520 posts, read 5,004,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro69 View Post
I'm willing to say without a doubt at 100%, this will blow over as a no news items.
As well as it should... If someone gets upset about this just wait until they see the movie "White Chicks" ... Now that's funny

Old 03-27-2014, 11:44 AM

871 posts, read 691,968 times
Quote:
It's not a double standard, it's just the way things are... If you don't like being called out for blackface, your ancestors should have never done the minstrel acts in the first place.. Some opinions change over time while others do not...

I don't know if you posted this because you really believe it or you or just trying to get people upset. Let's say your great, great grandfather robbed a bank, should you pay for what he did all these years later?

Oh wait, that only applies if you are white......

Old 03-27-2014, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
So you don't have to have a reason for things just make a statement and that's good enough. Because someone said so mentality.

Absolutely perfect. Blaming someone for the deeds of others. So what you are saying is don't look at the acts of the individual look at their skin color. Very hypocritical of you considering that was the problem in the first place. Okay for you to do it, not okay for others.
Take my statement how you want to, but it's common sense. Because of history there's certain things that will be called out when seen. White folks wearing KKK attire, white folks wearing Nazi attire, white folks dressing in blackface, etc. It's really less about the deeds of others and more about current perception. If white folks are mad about Nick Cannon dressing up like a white person it's their right. But don't for a minute try to say a white person in blackface and a black comedian dressing up like a white person are the same... I won't call you a liar but history might...

Old 03-27-2014, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassy001 View Post
I don't know if you posted this because you really believe it or you or just trying to get people upset. Let's say your great, great grandfather robbed a bank, should you pay for what he did all these years later?

Oh wait, that only applies if you are white......
Lets not say my great great grand father robbed anything because that argument can't hold water... If you have to make up a scenario in history to make a point, your original point wasn't that strong to begin with... Facts matter when discussing a "claim" of a double standard within perspective... Starting off trying to make a point with a "what if" wont cut it...

When can say "what if" blackface minstrel shows never happened? It probably wouldn't be a big deal for white folk to dress in blackface... See how that works???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies