U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2014, 05:59 AM

17,297 posts, read 25,642,559 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadoken View Post
Because of this.

Excuses, excuses, excuses.

Stop justifying the unjustifiable. Either accept that we have moved on and can poke fun at each other, or accept that if we're going to address racism, you cannot hold yourself to a different standard, and make up excuses that you accept (but not everyone) as to why it's "totally different!"

What... its.... empowering or something? Fine.... I guess if helps you get through the veritable existential crisis of being black in America, or whatever.

But don't expect anyone to take you seriously when you get all outraged when confronted with the opposite. Moral consistency people. Learn it, no matter what your color.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2014, 06:32 AM

14,106 posts, read 6,059,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
For the same reason it's OK for blacks to call themselves and each other the N word but not OK for whites. It's all part of the whiny entitlement attitude that makes most of us indifferent.
Apples and oranges! It's NOT okay for white people to use the N word. That's not even in the same ball league as a white person dressing up like a current celebrity for Halloween.

Old 03-26-2014, 06:34 AM

20,310 posts, read 19,418,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHABAZZ310 View Post
It's not a double standard, it's just the way things are... If you don't like being called out for blackface, your ancestors should have never done the minstrel acts in the first place.. Some opinions change over time while others do not...
By your logic.
If Blacks don't like being thought of as criminals then all the blacks who are in jail should never have broken the law.
Either it is wrong or it isn't. Sort of like pictures of Obama being a chimp is wrong, but the left felt it was ok when the exact same thing was done to Bush.
You can't have it both ways. Either it is wrong or it isn't.
Personally I am not offended by Blacks wearing white face. If someone wants to look like a fool they are free to do so.

Old 03-26-2014, 06:36 AM

20,310 posts, read 19,418,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Actually, no, it's not OK. Not if you're morally consistent.

The whole "history is why blackface is bad" excuse is an academic, mealy mouthed FARCE. Nobody who presently does black face does it to reference minstrelism in the 1800s and early 1900s.

It's done for the same reasons why a black person would don black face: for fun, to make fun, to make a character. Like Nick Cannon did.

(This is the same Nick Cannon, btw, who got his panties in a twist when Google put Harriet Tubman in a headscarf, and he went all, "why she gotta be wearing a doo rag?!").

White people: Don't do black face.

Black people: Don't do white face.

Easy.
Or
People stop being overly sensitive.

Old 03-26-2014, 06:54 AM

2,004 posts, read 1,317,642 times
Quote:
Excuses, excuses, excuses.

Stop justifying the unjustifiable. Either accept that we have moved on and can poke fun at each other, or accept that if we're going to address racism, you cannot hold yourself to a different standard, and make up excuses that you accept (but not everyone) as to why it's "totally different!"

What... its.... empowering or something? Fine.... I guess if helps you get through the veritable existential crisis of being black in America, or whatever.

But don't expect anyone to take you seriously when you get all outraged when confronted with the opposite. Moral consistency people. Learn it, no matter what your color.
And here's the thing - a white person *can* put on costume and pretend to be black and get away with it, if they're witty. Robert Downey Jr. Did exactly this in Tropic Thunder - because he was actually poking fun at actors, and Hollywood's shaky relationship with black people. Yes, a few people complained, but his career suffered in no way at all, since he is now the extremely popular Tony Stark. For that matter, Sarah Silverman did a skit where she put on actual blackface, playing a liberal who wants to feel what it's like to be a black person. She's shocked when the first white person she passes expressed disgust, thinking that black people are treated horribly - but it's clear that the man is actually disgusted because he knows she's a white woman in blackface.

But sorry, history matters. Nick Cannon will have an easier time mocking white stereotypes, than Justin Timberlake (who is, for all intents and purposes, copying Michael Jackson's music anyway) would mocking black stereotypes. And that's because white people in the US have a long and continuing tradition of stereotyping black people, and using those stereotypes as justification to oppress them. There's simply no such history for white stereotypes in the US.

Old 03-26-2014, 07:41 AM

13,904 posts, read 11,442,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilt11 View Post
I personally don't care. I just hate the double standards. And he didn't just put on white face. He has an album called White People Party music and used a ton of stereotypes of whites. He gets a pass from the media and left. If a white person does any of that they get destroyed.

If I put out an album, Black People Party music and tweeted out stereotype hash tags like, #loudblackwomen #crimesprees #friedchicken #watermelon ......what do you think would happen? I would be boycotted, called racist, perhaps even get death threats. My life would be destroyed.
I have to laugh at the thought of, oh, say Paula Deen putting out a cookbook with her image on the cover dressed in black face and the recipes all being Black People Party Recipes.

Oh, the horror!

Old 03-26-2014, 07:43 AM

11,881 posts, read 10,341,244 times
LMAO Nick Cannon is as corny as they come and irrelevant but I didn't know he was an idiot (he is raising a child that is part white, you'd think he'd be above stupid racial ploys for attention).

Old 03-26-2014, 07:43 AM

15,300 posts, read 7,816,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chin_Muzik_NJ View Post
Except they did....
Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sAutomatic View Post
A handful of people.
This in regards to Robert Downey Jr. and his black face in the movie. I loved that movie!! His character was really believable too as a black man. He did an excellent job IMO and I don't know anyone personally who complained about it or ridiculed it. On the contrary, even my extra black nationalist type of friends/family/associates couldn't believe that he did such a believable job.

Old 03-26-2014, 07:48 AM

334 posts, read 357,223 times
Quote:
Actually, no, it's not OK. Not if you're morally consistent.

The whole "history is why blackface is bad" excuse is an academic, mealy mouthed FARCE. Nobody who presently does black face does it to reference minstrelism in the 1800s and early 1900s.

It's done for the same reasons why a black person would don black face: for fun, to make fun, to make a character. Like Nick Cannon did.

(This is the same Nick Cannon, btw, who got his panties in a twist when Google put Harriet Tubman in a headscarf, and he went all, "why she gotta be wearing a doo rag?!").

White people: Don't do black face.

Black people: Don't do white face.

Easy.
The funny thing is that during the time of so called minstrelism and blackface, it wasn't viewed as racist. It was only after that time period that historical revisionists view it as racist to preach faux victimhood and try to hold onto past events and time to preach and scream racism in the 21st century.

Most countries have blackface like traditions yet it's more of a cognizant rejoice and celebration of people, culture, history and life, especially for Carnavals and dance and folkloric music and traditions.

Old 03-26-2014, 07:48 AM

15,300 posts, read 7,816,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadoken View Post
And here's the thing - a white person *can* put on costume and pretend to be black and get away with it, if they're witty. Robert Downey Jr. Did exactly this in Tropic Thunder - because he was actually poking fun at actors, and Hollywood's shaky relationship with black people. Yes, a few people complained, but his career suffered in no way at all, since he is now the extremely popular Tony Stark. For that matter, Sarah Silverman did a skit where she put on actual blackface, playing a liberal who wants to feel what it's like to be a black person. She's shocked when the first white person she passes expressed disgust, thinking that black people are treated horribly - but it's clear that the man is actually disgusted because he knows she's a white woman in blackface.

But sorry, history matters. Nick Cannon will have an easier time mocking white stereotypes, than Justin Timberlake (who is, for all intents and purposes, copying Michael Jackson's music anyway) would mocking black stereotypes. And that's because white people in the US have a long and continuing tradition of stereotyping black people, and using those stereotypes as justification to oppress them. There's simply no such history for white stereotypes in the US.
This is very true. And I'll be honest and say I didn't read the OP article, will do at a later time. But on the whole white people have done and continue to have "black people parties" all the time, especially on college campuses and I wonder if Nick's movie is a satire of this phenomenon. There is actually a current satirical movie out about this topic called "Dear White People." From the film's website (dearwhitepeople.com/about):

Quote:
Quote:
DEAR WHITE PEOPLE follows the stories of four black students
at an Ivy League college where a riot breaks out over a popular "African
American" themed party thrown by white students. With tongue planted firmly in
cheek, the film will explore racial identity in "post-racial" America while
weaving a universal story of forging one's unique path in the world.

“This film isn't about "white racism", or racism at all. DEAR WHITE
PEOPLE is about identity. It's about
the difference between how
the mass culture responds to a person because of their race and who
they
understand themselves to truly be. And this societal conflict
appears to be one that many share.”

- Justin Simien

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies