U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2014, 10:13 AM

23,304 posts, read 11,547,111 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
He is.

The question is, would Nick Cannon (and indeed, the rest of the black folks on here making excuses for Nick) be as good humored about the situation if, say, Daniel Tosh put on black face and made a character with similar attributes?

#raciststereotype

Btw, where do black people think white folks love mayo and cream cheese?
Daniel Tosh =/= Nick Cannon. Daniel Tosh is despised by people from all political,racial, religious circles. You are talking about a man who made fun of tornado victims 2 days after it happened.

no, clue where the may and cream cheese thing came from.

further more, i do not think it was ok for Nick Cannon to do that. Im just saying this is an overreaction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2014, 10:13 AM

11,884 posts, read 10,393,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
The show he acted on from Nickelodeon was a variety comedy show.

He was also a comedic rapper as well, like Loney Island.

Not really sure how you can say he failed at it seeing as his singles charted in the top 100. Including his song "Can I Live" which was about abortion.
I don't care about hitting the Top 100-that has become impossibly easy in this day and age if you have the right money and connections. I say fail because from what I remember (and honestly I can't think of a song right now) he was a terrible rapper and I listen to a lot of rap music. I read he sold like 200,000 copies (and this is when he was in his prime).

My whole thing is not all white guys are frat boys (Just as some black guys ARE fratboys). He could've just as easily donned the white face and named his album "Frat Boy Party Music" and it would not be offensive to me.

This racial non-sense just further divides people and there is nothing positive about it. The Music Industry is shady and I hope he isn't being influenced by higher-ups just for some money.

Old 03-26-2014, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chin_Muzik_NJ View Post
Let a white artist make an album called

"Black people church music"

I'd love to see how well that would go over.
Didnt SNL do that ???? Not an actual album, but just a skit on it ?

Old 03-26-2014, 10:15 AM

22,760 posts, read 16,841,238 times
Well, Nick whatshisname sure got people talking about his music, didn't he?

Also, there's a certain YouTuber who is black, and she puts on shows called "White Church vs Black Church". She and her friend put on "white face", as well as blonde wigs, and they put up videos, in comedy form, of the differences between white churches and black churches.

I don't find it offensive at all. In fact, some of it's downright hilarious.

I agree with the poster who said, we really need to stop being so offended over things like this...we have much bigger issues in the world to be worrying about.

Old 03-26-2014, 10:15 AM

58,188 posts, read 41,009,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chin_Muzik_NJ View Post
Let a white artist make an album called

"Black people church music"

I'd love to see how well that would go over.
I've always wondered how you'd be received if you requested TV time to run a telethon for "The United Caucasian College Fund".

Old 03-26-2014, 10:17 AM

50,698 posts, read 26,743,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
He is.

The question is, would Nick Cannon (and indeed, the rest of the black folks on here making excuses for Nick) be as good humored about the situation if, say, Daniel Tosh put on black face and made a character with similar attributes?

#raciststereotype

Btw, where do black people think white folks love mayo and cream cheese?
Dude, calm down!

Context is important here.

Tosh and Cannon AREN'T EVEN CLOSE to being the same type of entertainer.

Besides, blackface and whiteface simply aren't the same things given our history in this country.

You can argue that it should be, but it ain't.

Regardless, it's no big deal.

Old 03-26-2014, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
I don't care about hitting the Top 100-that has become impossibly easy in this day and age if you have the right money and connections. I say fail because from what I remember (and honestly I can't think of a song right now) he was a terrible rapper and I listen to a lot of rap music.

My whole thing is not all white guys are frat boys (Just as some black guys ARE). He could've just as easily donned the white face and named his album "Frat Boy Party Music". This racial non-sense just further divides people and there is nothing positive about it.
I never claimed he was a good rapper. I assumed you meant failed as in monetarily/success, not skills. Skills does not define success in my book. There are a lot of rich idiots.

as for the bold i can agree with that.

Old 03-26-2014, 10:22 AM

11,884 posts, read 10,393,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
Daniel Tosh =/= Nick Cannon. Daniel Tosh is despised by people from all political,racial, religious circles. You are talking about a man who made fun of tornado victims 2 days after it happened.

no, clue where the may and cream cheese thing came from.

further more, i do not think it was ok for Nick Cannon to do that. Im just saying this is an overreaction.
Daniel Tosh offended ME with some of the jokes he said about black people, and I'm white. I don't watch him anymore.

Old 03-26-2014, 10:23 AM

13,266 posts, read 10,396,958 times
Appears to be a good publicity stunt.

If your truly outraged the best thing to do would be to stop talking about him.

Old 03-26-2014, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
Appears to be a good publicity stunt.

If your truly outraged the best thing to do would be to stop talking about him.
No, the best thing is actually what we are doing right now, discussing it. The sad thing is that had this been about black face, this thread wouldnt be as civil.

Some of the more notorious posters here would have made it into a "see,black people are always complaining" forum instead of actually discussing the issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies