Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2014, 10:27 AM

684 posts, read 824,771 times

Advertisements

I have a theory:

I let other people be offended by whatever it is they want to be offended by. It's their life. So, if you want to be offended by Robert Downey, Jr donning blackface - Be offended. If you want to be offended by 'White People Party Music', be offended.

After seeing this, I intend to go home, make a sandwich. Probably with horseradish sauce, thin-sliced rare roast beef and crisp lettuce. Maybe a tomato as well, all on sesame seed bread. I will enjoy my sandwich in the same sense that other people will enjoy their time being offended.

We all have our hobbies and recreational enjoyments. I don't begrudge someone a good moan about something that makes absolutely no difference in their real life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2014, 10:28 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,924,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
Appears to be a good publicity stunt.

If your truly outraged the best thing to do would be to stop talking about him.
Haha, we have a winner. (Although I guess we won't see if it was effective until April 1)

Although, I almost think this is all an elaborate April Fools.

Old 03-26-2014, 10:29 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,981,679 times
Who cares? I mean, Dave Chappelle for example made fun of white people from time to time (as well as just about every culture) and I find him absolutely hilarious! What did Dave say about white people being able to dance? Provide music with plenty of electric guitar.

Old 03-26-2014, 10:39 AM

5,671 posts, read 4,349,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sAutomatic View Post
"It's not fair, mom, make him stop!"
Child: Ma! Lucy's candy bar is 1/32nd of an inch longer than my candy bar!

Mom: Mommy's trying to drive, sweetie.

Child: But ma! it's not fair!

Mom: Mommy doesn't really care whether it's fair or not, dear.

I like the title, and the whiteface image on the cover. It's funny.

Last edited by Clintone; 03-26-2014 at 11:00 AM..

Old 03-26-2014, 10:56 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,391,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
Daniel Tosh =/= Nick Cannon. Daniel Tosh is despised by people from all political,racial, religious circles. You are talking about a man who made fun of tornado victims 2 days after it happened.

no, clue where the may and cream cheese thing came from.

further more, i do not think it was ok for Nick Cannon to do that. Im just saying this is an overreaction.

Daniel Tosh is irreverent. It's his schtick.

The reaction - over or otherwise - is to the double standard.

Personally, I don't care at all. But this is the same Nick Cannon who was outraged over Google being "racist" and then pulls a stunt like this.

And frankly, it's more harmful when a person in Nick Cannon's position (a celebrity) is racially insensitive than an average Joe, or even a whole school full of frats doing a racist party, because Nick Cannon has a national stage, and an impressionable young audience.

Old 03-26-2014, 10:58 AM

9,189 posts, read 7,594,686 times
That's just make-up and not the same as when a bigotted white person puts on black face paint and the white paint for the lips.

Old 03-26-2014, 11:06 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,120,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzy24 View Post
That's just make-up and not the same as when a bigotted white person puts on black face paint and the white paint for the lips.
Another good point.

I was expecting the "White Face" but what I saw was just Nick painted as a white man. Similar to the White Chicks movie.

The "Black Face" character is not made to look real and is actually a characterization of a black man. It carries a totally different weight and has ties to a period when racism really was a major issue in this country.

I gotta admit though, it is kind of funny to see people get up in arms over something so trivial.

Old 03-26-2014, 11:09 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,981,679 times
Quote:
Another good point.

I was expecting the "White Face" but what I saw was just Nick painted as a white man. Similar to the White Chicks movie.

The "Black Face" character is not made to look real and is actually a characterization of a black man. It carries a totally different weight and has ties to a period when racism really was a major issue in this country.

I gotta admit though, it is kind of funny to see people get up in arms over something so trivial.

I think that we could all stand to laugh at ourselves and the silly stereotypes. Seriously, don't they say that laughter is the best medicine? I'm of Polish and German descent so believe me, I've heard all the jokes about those nationalities, and I even tell them myself.

Old 03-26-2014, 11:14 AM

9,189 posts, read 7,594,686 times
Quote:
Another good point.

Also the movie "White chicks". I didn't realize some people were offended by that movie until I read it here. I figure they were being obtuse on purpose in comparing it to black face or they're too stupid to know the difference.

Old 03-26-2014, 11:18 AM

5,671 posts, read 4,349,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Daniel Tosh is irreverent. It's his schtick.

The reaction - over or otherwise - is to the double standard.

Personally, I don't care at all. But this is the same Nick Cannon who was outraged over Google being "racist" and then pulls a stunt like this.

And frankly, it's more harmful when a person in Nick Cannon's position (a celebrity) is racially insensitive than an average Joe, or even a whole school full of frats doing a racist party, because Nick Cannon has a national stage, and an impressionable young audience.

Personally, I don't really care about people's feelings, regardless of their race or sex. My concern is: Will this encourage non-whites to be violent toward whites? Will this reduce available jobs for whites? How could this harm white people? I can't think of a reason why it would...although, I haven't heard the song lyrics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies