Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2014, 11:43 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,988,465 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
Haha, very true. Maybe I just don't like Nick Cannon.

I'm sure if Dave Chappelle did this, there would not be an uproar and most would find it hilarious.

Not a fan either of Nick Carter either. At any rate, you haven't seen the his skit about the draft of the races. It was a spoof on ESPN and was set up like it was the NFL draft. The Asians drafted The WU TANG CLAN, and the whites drafted Colin Powell. He also did a spoof on the Real World called the Mad Real World where a white dude was housed with a bunch of black folks. He also did a skit called the black white supremacist where he is a blind black man, and the head of his local KKK chapter, and doesn't realize he is black. Just some funny stuff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2014, 11:46 AM

5,671 posts, read 4,352,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
"Harm" is an amorphous concept.

Is it harm if this would create a situation where a white student is made fun of or bullied by a group of black students? Is that enough "harm" for the analysis?

Discrimination in housing or jobs is really not perpetuated by someone making racial jokes. People who discriminate in such a way tend to be beyond influence of comedic portrayals of the people they dislike.
Okay, I looked up information on this. The character's title is Connor Smallnuts. That's pretty messed up, and the stupidest mindlessness I've ever heard. I'm sure I'll hate the lyrics. I could see complaining about that.

I still say the music title is funny.

(of course it should be legal...I will consider him an a-hole from now on though, with the brains of a rock and the maturity level of a 12 year old....)

Old 03-26-2014, 11:51 AM

14,416 posts, read 22,486,250 times
This is how i feel,
I try to think of peoples feelings. If black people are hurt and feel disrespected by black face I would just leave it alone. Black face is clearly very offensive to many people so why push it just to prove a point.

White face? Personally, im am too comfortable in my skin to be offended. I think white people are beautiful and if someone wants to imitate us...knock your self out and enjoy it. lol

Old 03-26-2014, 11:53 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,127,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Actually, there is:

Blacks performing as whites - Evolution of whiteface - Wayans brothers White Chicks

That has NOTHING to do with the topic at hand. Your link uses "White Chicks" as an example. Check the production date.

No race is immune from some form of discrimination against "the other."

Agreed.

The entire excuse of "historical context" is tautology. Again, we accept it as "the reason" without asking whether in fact that is the real reason why we are - or should be - offended by something. People have double standards based on "historical context" without asking whether it actually makes sense.

Black face is offensive to me. You should read up on why and how it was used.

Frankly, I think it is enough and entirely reasonable for white people to refrain from using the N word or putting on black face because it makes black people uncomfortable based on whatever reason makes them not like it. (Though see my qualification that INTENT and context should always matter). My beef isn't with Nick Cannon per se, it's that people will make excuses for Nick Cannon while putting a blanket prohibition on other races putting on black face, and then calling it history. Either it's wrong for everyone, or it's wrong for no one. This is what we must do in a pluralistic society if people want to be taken seriously when they complain about treatment against their own)

But to turn around and say blacks can use terms against whites that whites find offensive, or that blacks can put on white face because there "isn't a history" behind it... is just... excuse making.

Again, it neglects the fact that we live in the HERE and the NOW and people judge their interactions with others based first and foremost on their PRESENT dealings with people.
I don't use any of the terms referenced and am currently dating interacially. I'm just trying to express why one is offensive, and the other isn't.

All I see here is a bunch of fake outrage. Nobody really offended by his actions. Will go ask some of my white friends what they think about it.

Old 03-26-2014, 12:03 PM

5,481 posts, read 8,578,205 times
I have no problem with it but what I do see as an issue is the stereotypical hashtags associated with the pic. #GoodCredit #DogKissing #BeerPong #FarmersMarkets #FistPumping #CreamCheeseEating etc..

Now imagine Justin Timberlake doing a blackface to promote an album and using the hashtags #watermelon eating #fried chicken #baby daddy #bad credit #pants sagging, etc....

Can u imagine the uproar from the black community!?

Old 03-26-2014, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHABAZZ310 View Post
It's not a double standard, it's just the way things are... If you don't like being called out for blackface, your ancestors should have never done the minstrel acts in the first place.. Some opinions change over time while others do not...
Well maybe your African ancestors should have never sold their own people to slave owners in America. I love how blacks love to blast racism without pointing out how it was their own people who sold them!

Old 03-26-2014, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deevel79 View Post
I have no problem with it but what I do see as an issue is the stereotypical hashtags associated with the pic. #GoodCredit #DogKissing #BeerPong #FarmersMarkets #FistPumping #CreamCheeseEating etc..

Now imagine Justin Timberlake doing a blackface to promote an album and using the hashtags #watermelon eating #fried chicken #baby daddy #bad credit #pants sagging, etc....

Can u imagine the uproar from the black community!?
Point taken.

Are the above really that offensive though? I make comments no matter who's around (I have friends of all races) and most of my white friends would probably laugh at the hashtags.

And depending on which white person said what (remember the white comedians on BET's Comicview?), black people would probably laugh at the latter hashtags too.

A lot of it has to do with context. If Paula Dean were to use the hashtag = bad

If Al Sharpton was to use the 1st set of hashtags = bad.

Context, context, context imo. I agree with posters saying you can't make "blanket" rules for everyone.

Old 03-26-2014, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Well maybe your African ancestors should have never sold their own people to slave owners in America. I love how blacks love to blast racism without pointing out how it was their own people who sold them!
Not all slaves were captured by other African tribes. And in most countries (haven't researched all), slaves were treated differently than they were in America. They were often treated with respect and some were more indentured servants than lifetime slaves.

Either way its not right, but the notion that all of the slaves were acquired through trade with African tribes is false.

Old 03-26-2014, 12:22 PM

15,896 posts, read 11,988,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHABAZZ310 View Post
It's not a double standard, it's just the way things are... If you don't like being called out for blackface, your ancestors should have never done the minstrel acts in the first place.. Some opinions change over time while others do not...

We're painting with an awfully broad brush here. My ancestors were not over here when slavery was going on in this country. So, yes while slavery was a negative part of this country's history, not every white person in this country is to blame for that, nor is any white person alive today, and therefore it is in fact a double standard.

Quote:

Of course then there is this little tidbit of forgotten history as well, which is equally as s****y!

Old 03-26-2014, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
Not all slaves were captured by other African tribes. And in most countries (haven't researched all), slaves were treated differently than they were in America. They were often treated with respect and some were more indentured servants than lifetime slaves.

Either way its not right, but the notion that all of the slaves were acquired through trade with African tribes is false.
You're right. African tribes werent responsible for ALL the slaves that were captured and sold to the U.S slave owners but they did play a big part in it. The point I was trying to make is, most blacks never mention that part. They only want to talk about white american slave owners. The slave trade was a business that both Africans and American slave owners benefited from.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies