U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2014, 01:50 PM
bUU

11,879 posts, read 8,653,891 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgianbelle View Post
Haha...it seems I hit a nerve.
Technically, the response to the disgust I experience reading right-wing claptrap is called a "gag reflex". It's pretty much the same reaction someone would have to encountering a curb where a dog owner didn't clean up after their dog.

Quote:
No one mentioned you or anyone else in particular.
An utterly ridiculous dodge, given that I paralleled your use of words exactly. You aren't really good at this are you?

Quote:
It is always better to use language that is easy to understand when posting rather than blathering away with flowery words.
It is always better to be precise, and accurate. You should try both.

Quote:
No one needs to prove their large vocabulary on a forum.
Don't think anyone is being fooled by your nonsense. Everyone still reading this thread knows that you're just frustrated that because you cannot compose legitimate replies to my nuanced and well-conditioned comments. I actually think through what I write before I write it, and write it deliberately to castrate the ability of right-winger to post vacuously inane replies, without lying about what I wrote.

Quote:
I am not against welfare completely, but I do think it is being abused.
So make the abuse illegal. I'm 100% in support of that. Problem solved. Are you done now? Or are you going to try to claim that "abuse" is whatever you don't like, imposed how you personally dictate it will be imposed, instead of deferring to society's consensus on the matter? How deep does the self-ratifying nonsense you post go?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmqueen View Post
You've been complaining about BuU's superior intellect for awhile now.
I'm used to it. I've been posting online longer than many (most?) of those posting today have been alive. I've learned to write carefully while most people write so carelessly that anyone could drive a truck through the flagrant holes in their "logic".

Quote:
Are you suggesting that BuU pretend to be less intelligent than he is in order to please you?
It is clear that the right-wing often views stupidity as an ethic and intelligence as evil. I suppose that poison has its impact.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider275452 View Post
buu wrote...
Quote:
Quote:
The way it is now, they pay single mothers more if they have more kids, so they pump out a child every 9 months until they have enough children to provide mom with a comfortable life style, and some seem quite content with this existence.
If you're going to throw out pointless throwaway sentences like that, you're going to have to say what you mean.
That is your perception of what I wrote?
Yes, it is my perception that you're going to have to say explicitly what you mean because innuendo and vague evasion won't find quarter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider275452 View Post
My feeling has always been, the only way out of poverty permanently is through education. And no, I do not advocate starving the children.
So why didn't you just say that. It's still vague but there's more to work with: Are you saying that you'll support public assistance so people can pay their own way for the basics, while they're gaining education and training, until such time as they're hired into a living wage job?

Or are you saying that you're in favor of throwing a token amount into training programs, as long as your taxes don't go up to make that happen, and those who are lucky enough to get in get in and the rest they and their families can starve?

I think you are missing the point. Until you outline precisely how your "plan" assures everyone getting public assistance today is still alive, still health, still treated with worth and dignity as a society like ours should treat its citizens, etc., why should anyone believe you're not simply looking to undercut the life and health of those most vulnerable simply to reduce your own taxes? It's easy to criticize how things are now when you presume you don't have to explain how things would actually be better for the most vulnerable in society "your way".

Last edited by bUU; 04-04-2014 at 02:08 PM..

Old 04-04-2014, 01:54 PM

66,437 posts, read 30,287,167 times
Quote:
And what about forcing those people who mentally or physically incapable of supporting themselves?
Many are capable of holding jobs. Me developmentally disabled step-sister has a job and supports herself. Many mentally and physically challenged people hold jobs. It IS necessary to support those in the above groups who are incapable of holding jobs, but none others.
Quote:
And let's not forget to sterilize them to make sure they don't "breed like rabbits."
Spoken like the statist you are. Let them make their own choices and suffer the consequences. The entire reason we have an exponentially growing welfare-dependent class is BECAUSE people who make bad choices never have to suffer the consequences of their actions.
Quote:
demonizing enormous groups of people and calling for throwing out the baby with the bathwater is disingenuous.
In fact, it ISN'T. THIS is a very real problem:

Medicaid Pays For Nearly Half of All Births in the United States | publichealth.gwu.edu

The FACT that those who receive public assistance have a birth rate 3 times higher than those who don't is a very real problem.

The consequences are such:

Example using numbers: 1 million receiving public assistance, 1 million not receiving such, the latest published birth rate numbers for each group (halved because the rates were reported for women only), and the formula for predicting future population, future value = present value x (e)^kt, where e equals the constant 2.71828, k equals the rate of increase (expressed as a decimal, rate taken from the U.S. Census data), and t is the number of years.

After 20 years, the population of those not receiving public assistance will have grown from 1 million to 1.75 million.

After 20 years, the population of those very likely needing public assistance will have grown from 1 million to 4.953 million.

1.75 million paying taxes to support social programs for 4.953 million.

Giving money, services, and benefits to those who take what they need instead of earning it is not a sustainable strategy.

Old 04-04-2014, 01:56 PM

5,576 posts, read 3,605,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
When so many fatherless black kids you don't think making better choices is an answer, nor is closing your legs would help? What is your answer? Keep doing any guy that pays attention and then Abortion?
And how do you enforce all this? That's what I'm asking. It's easy to blather on an Internet forum with trite clichés. Much harder to make everyone bend to your will, is it not?

Old 04-04-2014, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Many are capable of holding jobs. Me developmentally disabled step-sister has a job and supports herself. Many mentally and physically challenged people hold jobs. It IS necessary to support those in the above groups who are incapable of holding jobs, but none others.
Spoken like the statist you are. Let them make their own choices and suffer the consequences. The entire reason we have an exponentially growing welfare-dependent class is BECAUSE people who make bad choices never have to suffer the consequences of their actions.
In fact, it ISN'T. THIS is a very real problem:

Medicaid Pays For Nearly Half of All Births in the United States | publichealth.gwu.edu

The FACT that those who receive public assistance have a birth rate 3 times higher than those who don't is a very real problem.

The consequences are such:

Example using numbers: 1 million receiving public assistance, 1 million not receiving such, the latest published birth rate numbers for each group (halved because the rates were reported for women only), and the formula for predicting future population, future value = present value x (e)^kt, where e equals the constant 2.71828, k equals the rate of increase (expressed as a decimal, rate taken from the U.S. Census data), and t is the number of years.

After 20 years, the population of those not receiving public assistance will have grown from 1 million to 1.75 million.

After 20 years, the population of those very likely needing public assistance will have grown from 1 million to 4.953 million.

1.75 million paying taxes to support social programs for 4.953 million.

Giving money, services, and benefits to those who take what they need instead of earning it is not a sustainable strategy.
So after all that, you're basically saying that we should kick most people off welfare starting now, and if they don't learn to make "better choices," too bad, correct?

Still not seeing that as a viable solution. I, for one, don't want to see crime skyrocket the way it would if that happened tomorrow.

What else ya got for an actual, practical, viable solution to the problem?

Old 04-04-2014, 01:59 PM

Quote:
And how do you enforce all this?
No need to enforce anything. Just let them suffer the consequences of their actions.

The fact that we don't let people suffer the consequences of their actions is exactly why we have a financially unsustainable exponentially growing welfare-dependent class.

Old 04-04-2014, 02:03 PM

Quote:
So after all that, you're basically saying that we should kick most people off welfare starting now, and if they don't learn to make "better choices," too bad, correct?
The alternative is financially unsustainable.

Review the following grim statistics:
Youth From Low-Income Families Fact Sheet
Youth from Low-Income Families: Fact Sheet

Now apply those grim statistics to this fact:

Old 04-04-2014, 02:07 PM

2,435 posts, read 2,842,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
No need to enforce anything. Just let them suffer the consequences of their actions. The fact that we don't let people suffer the consequences of their actions is exactly why we have a financially unsustainable exponentially growing welfare-dependent class.
And what is comforting is that should your support system fail possibly, your own advice will also apply to you.

Old 04-04-2014, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Opinionated View Post
And what is comforting is that should your support system fail possibly, your own advice will also apply to you.
Well, to be fair, people like him know that bad things NEVER happen to people like him. That's only for poor stupid people who make Bad Choices. How could he possibly expect one of his choices to turn out wrong?

Old 04-04-2014, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Opinionated View Post
So be it. I have no problem with that.

Old 04-04-2014, 03:40 PM

2,435 posts, read 2,842,496 times
Quote:
Well, to be fair, people like him know that bad things NEVER happen to people like him. That's only for poor stupid people who make Bad Choices. How could he possibly expect one of his choices to turn out wrong?
Well, most times those "poor stupid people" made a choice to help the 'smart' people who love to denounce them get wealthy by working for them. Nobody came here with money, made themselves wealthy alone, nor will they be spending any money after death.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies