U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2014, 06:40 AM

5,576 posts, read 3,605,122 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreutz View Post
Elect politicians with spines, cut off the free money, and let the parasites succeed or starve on their own.

It's so damned simple it's perplexing that this has not been done already.
Maybe it's because the vast majority of Americans care about someone other than themselves and appreciate living in a caring, social environment, instead of a harsh, judgmental, punitive one?

Just a thought.

Old 04-05-2014, 06:44 AM

21,477 posts, read 11,588,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoniDanko View Post
I do not have a problem with welfare for those who need it, and I rather my tax dollar be spent on people who need help rather than on wars, raises for congress and other government officials, and/or being given to foreign countries. I do have a problem with the implementation Obamacare, Social Security, and I do have a problem with those who abuse the system, but I can't understand why most are soooooOOooooOOOoo much more upset over this than they are with our government handing our money over to foreign nations... Also to be exact, your tax dollars aren't really being spent on these programs or foreign aid and/or wars because we're borrowing money that we will never be able to pay back to be able to fund it all.
Do you understand the damage you are doing to those people though, or to society? Do you just give your kids free money without teaching them a work ethic to go with it?

Old 04-05-2014, 06:47 AM
bUU

11,879 posts, read 8,653,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmqueen View Post
Maybe it's because the vast majority of Americans care about someone other than themselves and appreciate living in a caring, social environment, instead of a harsh, judgmental, punitive one?

Just a thought.
I don't think we know that. From where I'm sitting, it's a small group of socially conscious people and a small group of self-centered people tugging a vast pool of apathetic people back and forth between moving toward a more caring society or a more callous society, respectively.

Old 04-05-2014, 06:49 AM

21,477 posts, read 11,588,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
I don't think we know that. From where I'm sitting, it's a small group of socially conscious people and a small group of self-centered people tugging a vast pool of apathetic people back and forth between moving toward a more caring society or a more callous society, respectively.
Caring is supposed to be for friends and family. Society/government is supposed to just administer our needs through our taxes, they aren't there to provide us with warmth or community and they sure as hell should not be feeding and clothing us.

What is the purpose of government?

Old 04-05-2014, 06:53 AM
bUU

11,879 posts, read 8,653,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Caring is supposed to be for friends and family.
Thanks for making clear the thoroughly self-centered, immoral perspective of the right-wing.

What's really interesting is how the right-wingers reveal that they know their perspective is morally wrong:

"It is compassionate to actively help our citizens in need." - GWB

So they heard the basic lessons of morality, but just cannot bring themselves to move past their egoism to practice the lessons.

Old 04-05-2014, 07:03 AM

17,497 posts, read 10,649,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Where do you get all this negative bias on the poor,? Sounds to me all this free stuff you are referring to are just poor people taking advantage of social programs that are in place to help people who have fallen on hard times or for whatever reason didnt get dealt the cards in life you did.All those programs are available to all Americans if the need arises just be thankful your life is such that you dont have to rely on those programs.
Equating the nations poor people as animals and thinking all this is just a liberal affair kinda gives me the impression you have no compassion and are listening to way too much psychobabble from rightwing media.
As for the crying? seems to be you doing most of it..
You have NO IDEA how the welfare system works or do you? If a homeowner with 2 kids can't make mortgage or buy food for one month and has no family to rely on.......too bad it's not for you! Even if that person agrees to pay it back with interest added in. True story!

Old 04-05-2014, 07:20 AM

17,497 posts, read 10,649,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
For conservatives the great threat to America is economically poor women and children eating food and living in an apartment with help from the government. SMH
Who are those who think a single-mom being a stripper is advancing the woman's life? Who accepts this lifestyle as the "woman's choice".......rather than seeing the woman makes more money at men drooling over her and collecting welfare, why do anything else. Along with most have a drug habit, this is not welfare of the 60's 70's or the 80's.

Seems to me it's the churches who offer a safe place for women and children with shelters and abuse centers.

What's really old fashion is the church teaches to not have sex before marriage........this would probably lead to less unwanted children. Yet the left thinks this is inhibiting people in the bedroom! The failure to make men just as responsible for those mouths to be feed is not enforced.

Old 04-05-2014, 07:27 AM

33,235 posts, read 20,075,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idon'tdateyou View Post
And many more don't work at all. I knew a lot of welfare families who were not working.
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Really? No. REALLY. Do you? For more then 5 years?

Welfare is not a long term forever thing now you know. RIGHT? You know this right? That it has a 5 year limit for the vast majority of states.

Oh wait...no your confusing the 20th century with the 21st century.
Take a look at your own response. Idon'tdateyou spoke the truth, yes, a lot of welfare families were not working. Some families haven't worked for years.

My family owns several retail stores in the shopping mall, I had at least two people who were willing to give me foodstamps in exchange of store merchandise. My solution: report these fraud to authority, no exceptions.

greywar, what makes you believe that somebody, or anybody are entitled to be on welfare for more than five months, let alone five long years. You made it sound like it is so absurd and shocking that welfare is not a lifetime feel-good program.

We are not talking here about a moral grey area, in which starving people saw and took a rare chance to feed themselves. Instead, we are talking about people who, over and above their normal allowance, elected to steal from the millions of people from whose paychecks the food-stamp program’s funds are forcibly taken — and on whose beneficence they rely.

The problem is not just welfare abuse, it is also the enablers.

Enablers are including, but not limited to

Companies like walmart, how much of their annual income is from welfare recipient?

grocery stores and supermarkets slapping EBT stickers on soda machines and deli counters.

people like you, who believe that it is simply disturbing welfare cannot last for more than five years.

Last edited by lilyflower3191981; 04-05-2014 at 07:44 AM..

Old 04-05-2014, 07:35 AM

6,868 posts, read 3,941,695 times
Quote:
How much are you willing to pay to ensure that each and every citizen of this country gets exactly the right education they need to gain meaningful employment that will support them forever?
What ever it takes, but there has to limitations as not to game the system, but to provide them with an education so they can be self sufficient.

Old 04-05-2014, 07:37 AM

66,437 posts, read 30,287,167 times
Quote:
How do you not realize that incentivizing leeching off of the government to the point that nearly half of all U.S. births are covered by Medicaid, and therefore nearly half of all children born in the U.S. are born into poverty, is anything BUT caring?

Youth From Low-Income Families Fact Sheet
Youth from Low-Income Families: Fact Sheet

The statistics are quite grim. Those so-called "caring" social policies resulting in a plethora of means-tested entitlement programs are dooming nearly half of the children born in the U.S. to life-long difficulties and challenges which are very hard to overcome.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies