U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2014, 08:39 AM

6,868 posts, read 3,933,755 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
I offered you that option: To say that you wanted to increase taxes to fund additional education which, you seemed to imply, would eventually lower the need for (and therefore cost of) offering public assistance entirely. The fact that you didn't jump at that option makes me think that you really aren't being completely forthright about what you are trying to imply.

Looking doesn't change anything. If all you're talking about is looking, I'm sure there are lots of Republicans who can rip apart such an idea as yet more waste of government money, far better than I can.

An utterly baseless assumption, rife with vacuous antipathy for those most vulnerable in society. Keep your random thoughts without iron-clad evidence to back them up to yourself if you don't want them condemned outright. (Or express them, if you're interested in reading the repudiation which will be posted in response to them - your choice.)

And then what (in your world)? You keep on saying - well - practically nothing, falling back on vagueness and innuendo instead of clearly expressing what you mean.
All is nothing more than vague discussion of possibility's of what could be done and most is just opinion anyway, just as yours is. You also seem to create arguments were there are none, why don't you stop putting words in peoples mouths. I think it may be time to close this thread.

Old 04-05-2014, 08:55 AM

5,576 posts, read 3,598,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
How do you not realize that incentivizing leeching off of the government to the point that nearly half of all U.S. births are covered by Medicaid, and therefore nearly half of all children born in the U.S. are born into poverty, is anything BUT caring?

Youth From Low-Income Families Fact Sheet
Youth from Low-Income Families: Fact Sheet

The statistics are quite grim. Those so-called "caring" social policies resulting in a plethora of means-tested entitlement programs are dooming nearly half of the children born in the U.S. to life-long difficulties and challenges which are very hard to overcome.
If you advocate letting people starve -- including children -- then that is grim indeed.

Old 04-05-2014, 09:09 AM

66,317 posts, read 30,193,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmqueen View Post
If you advocate letting people starve -- including children -- then that is grim indeed.
Ask yourself exactly WHO is encouraging and enabling an increasing number of children born into poverty.

Old 04-05-2014, 09:18 AM

4,342 posts, read 3,633,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoD Guy View Post
Fricken cry if you want, but if you worked for a living

< snip drivel >
All this cheap food was available to anyone not just those poor and on welfare, so YOU benefit as well. Understand some economics and then you will find why people are unemployed.....and get the chip off your shoulder.

Old 04-05-2014, 09:24 AM

2,777 posts, read 3,022,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Maybe...just maybe because those 46.8 million people on food stamps...when they began starving...might take exception.

Yeah richest nation on the planet, and we have 46.8 million on food stamps...why is that?
Because we let them.

Parasites and scavengers will always take the easy way.

He who will not work will not eat is the way to go.

Anyway, let them take "exception", this has to come to a head sooner or later.

Old 04-05-2014, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Maybe it's because the vast majority of Americans care about someone other than themselves and appreciate living in a caring, social environment, instead of a harsh, judgmental, punitive one?

Just a thought.
Life is harsh.

Get used to it; the magic money machines will break down eventually.

Old 04-05-2014, 09:26 AM

1,305 posts, read 1,315,389 times
To both sides of the issue, I understand from both standpoints.

My boyfriend's sister is pregnant (again). She is only 18 and she's going to have her 2nd kid soon. The fathers are no where to be found. It completely boggles our minds, but there it is. And it is doubtful that we will see this as her last pregnancy. Both my boyfriend and I are sure that his sister will be pregnant again before 20. Those of us who actually work for a living end up paying for such behavior.

On the other hand, I wouldn't want medicaid to go away. It helps people who are legitimately in need of help who are working hard to bring themselves out of poverty. I know a successful accountant who used to be on medicaid and other social programs for the poor while he worked to put himself through school. He's told me many times that without those programs he wouldn't have made it at all, since he had no family to speak of.

Personally, I'm quite lost as to what we must do to better the situation. But about half children born into poverty is just too much. There needs to be something done. I just don't know what.

But I do know that neither progressives nor conservatives (in their current state) have the right answer. Conservatives seem to want to scrape the programs completely or significantly cut them. Progressives seem to want more and more of those programs. I have yet to seen any real effort to tackle the problem directly.

Old 04-05-2014, 09:31 AM

Quote:
It's up to them.

Work and eat, or leech and starve.

A child is the responsibility of it's family; not society.

I feed my kids and expect no one else to do it. Why should I feed someone elses kids? That's stealing food from my kids mouths.

Old 04-05-2014, 09:35 AM

1,305 posts, read 1,315,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreutz View Post
It's up to them.

Work and eat, or leech and starve.

A child is the responsibility of it's family; not society.

I feed my kids and expect no one else to do it. Why should I feed someone elses kids? That's stealing food from my kids mouths.
What about those who got very moral christian parents? My boyfriend was kicked out of the house when he was 15 because he was gay. Without the social programs, he wouldn't have lasted a day.

Old 04-05-2014, 09:38 AM
bUU

11,915 posts, read 8,629,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider275452 View Post
All is nothing more than vague discussion of possibility's of what could be done and most is just opinion anyway, just as yours is.
Which is just shorthand for an admission that you don't have a legitimate reply to the legitimate repudiation of your perspective which I posted. Stop playing games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider275452 View Post
You also seem to create arguments were there are none
You're mistaken. Innuendo and half-developed rationalizations for attacks on the social safety net is part of the problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies