U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2014, 02:01 AM

1,305 posts, read 1,320,335 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vejadu View Post
Nobody wants to scrap all social programs. They serve a legitimate need for many people. But they are also huge magnets for abuse and fraud. They enable poverty in those who low ambition; what incentive is there to work when you can make about as much through handouts? This has to change; not by getting rid of these programs but by making them harder to exploit.
As long as there are people there will always be people who can and will exploit the system.

Old 03-27-2014, 02:33 AM

1,404 posts, read 868,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
The recipient class buy what they want and beg for what they need.
You are exactly right! And F5ck that! I am middle class and have been forced into the poor class with no choice! I would prefer to pay for my health care, but it has been deemed illegal. I am not in the recipient class by choice, yet here I am begging for what I need.

The US has become the most fk'd up place to be middle class in less than a decade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosie_hair View Post
As long as there are people there will always be people who can and will exploit the system.
exploiting the system is one thing... being forced into a subservient/dependent position is quite another!

Old 03-27-2014, 02:40 AM

1,305 posts, read 1,320,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfman View Post
You are exactly right! And F5ck that! I am middle class and have been forced into the poor class with no choice! I would prefer to pay for my health care, but it has been deemed illegal. I am not in the recipient class by choice, yet here I am begging for what I need.

The US has become the most fk'd up place to be middle class in less than a decade.

exploiting the system is one thing... being forced into a subservient/dependent position is quite another!
Explain the forced part.

Old 03-27-2014, 03:31 AM

6,193 posts, read 4,571,477 times
The concensus here regarding welfare fraud is the same as voter fraud.

It simply doesn't happen. All stories are untrue and made up by racist angry white people.

My response, yeah, RIGHT!

Old 03-27-2014, 03:51 AM

7,322 posts, read 3,778,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrench409 View Post
The concensus here regarding welfare fraud is the same as voter fraud.

It simply doesn't happen. All stories are untrue and made up by racist angry white people.

My response, yeah, RIGHT!
I haven`t seen any posts here claiming there is no welfare fraud.

Old 03-27-2014, 03:55 AM
bUU

11,887 posts, read 8,670,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider275452 View Post
Oh please!!! Good people my azz!
Your refusal to acknowledge the worth and dignity of others, by attempting to defend the categorical marginalization and disparagement of those most vulnerable in society simply underscores the indefensibly immoral and corrupt nature of the self-centered perspective that you've bought-into and promote. There is no excuse for such vacuously vitriolic blanket generalizations - of anyone in any circumstance - and no excuse for painting poor people based on the behaviors of a few people who themselves may not even be poor, but rather just people you think are poor and choose to use as foundation for your utterly contemptible presumption.

Quote:
Many are out for a free ride and are either too stupid or lazy to even try to get a job.
There is as much despicable exploitation practiced by folks just like you, and by folks just like me, as there is practiced by the folks just like those who are assisted by society's safety net, if not of government (i.e., tax evasion) then of commercial offerings. The poor have no lock on exploitative behaviors. That's actually me being generous: More likely, people who support patently self-centered perspectives, such as that peddled by the right-wing, are probably more inclined to seek out and abuse whatever they think they can get away with, to bolster their own personal interest and to excessively supplement their own personal benefit. Libertarians, even more so, some even priding themselves in their attitudes fostering self-aggrandizement at the expense of respectable responsibility to a civilized society.

Quote:
Don't you get tired of getting in line behind the fat lady with 5 kids and a cart full of junk food and pulls out her access card to pay for it all.
The kind of things that bother me is the incessant and petulant self-centeredness I see so many right-wingers adopt as their religious dogma.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"(most of whom are good people who would love to work hard at a job that paid enough so that they could pay their own way and secure their own future0. Now THAT is laugh.
Decrypting your careless typing... That's really the problem with the perspectives that you've adopted: They foster a callous disregard for others, and especially those who are the most vulnerable members of society - precisely the opposite of the attitude considered for generations to be the epitome of honorable conduct in society, i.e., judging the worthiness of a society by how it treats is most vulnerable members, rather than, as your comments clearly show you believe, judging the worthiness of a society by how well it treats you personally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosie_hair View Post
But here's the kicker. Do I really want to remove unemployment benefits or welfare because I've seen some bad apples? What if one day I really need unemployment and welfare to get back on my feet? What about the people that really need these programs?
In order for people to appreciate the logic of your arguments, they would have to be open to the idea that something matters more than their own personal comfort and luxury. They would have to be willing to internalize the idea that society has obligations to more people than just themselves, and that critical considerations, such as someone else's life and health, are substantially higher priority in society than their own comfort and luxury. And in order for people to have the ability to do that, they have to be moral enough to regard other people as human beings just like themselves, deserving of the same worth and dignity as all people. That's just not within the capacity of many of those afflicted by right-wing propaganda.

Last edited by bUU; 03-27-2014 at 04:07 AM..

Old 03-27-2014, 04:07 AM

7,322 posts, read 3,778,217 times
I wonder how many people on welfare are actually more productive than those who spend their days on the internet bi*ching about Mr. and Mrs. Obama or whining because they have to pay taxes.

Old 03-27-2014, 04:16 AM

15,087 posts, read 12,024,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan Alaska View Post
Welfare is needed for those who truly need it. It should be a safety net not a way of life however.

My personal experience with welfare 'fraud'. I worked at a grocery store in Alaska, one of my coworkers married and soon after found herself pregnant. Before she had even left the job she came in with her WIC coupons buying milk, cheese etc.. I know she was earning $11.30/hr and I also know her husband works on the north slope in the oil industry. She drives a brand new Subaru, they live in a $250,000 home in a very desirable neighborhood and yet she managed to qualify for WIC. When I questioned her she said "Oh we all get WIC, the elders make sure we know how to fill in the forms". As it turns out, she is Russian Orthodox and by her religion not allowed to work once she has a child. The elders of the church help the younger ones apply for their welfare as she admitted "they know the loopholes".

By comparison, my son and his wife both work, they have 3 children and have never claimed any form of welfare/WIC partly due to income but also pride. My son is very proud of the fact that they have never taken welfare and that they stand on their own two feet and support their own family.
That's ridiculous. I'm Russian Orthodox and I never heard of such a thing. Every Russian Orthodox mother I know, works outside the home.
Is this some weird fundie sect?

Old 03-27-2014, 04:42 AM

2,741 posts, read 2,998,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan Alaska View Post
Welfare is needed for those who truly need it. It should be a safety net not a way of life however.

My personal experience with welfare 'fraud'. I worked at a grocery store in Alaska, one of my coworkers married and soon after found herself pregnant. Before she had even left the job she came in with her WIC coupons buying milk, cheese etc.. I know she was earning $11.30/hr and I also know her husband works on the north slope in the oil industry. She drives a brand new Subaru, they live in a $250,000 home in a very desirable neighborhood and yet she managed to qualify for WIC. When I questioned her she said "Oh we all get WIC, the elders make sure we know how to fill in the forms". As it turns out, she is Russian Orthodox and by her religion not allowed to work once she has a child. The elders of the church help the younger ones apply for their welfare as she admitted "they know the loopholes".

By comparison, my son and his wife both work, they have 3 children and have never claimed any form of welfare/WIC partly due to income but also pride. My son is very proud of the fact that they have never taken welfare and that they stand on their own two feet and support their own family.
Someone is twisting or misinterpreting the facts for their own benefit (no pun intended).

Old 03-27-2014, 06:04 AM

66,574 posts, read 33,842,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoniDanko View Post
I do not have a problem with welfare for those who need it, and I rather my tax dollar be spent on people who need help rather than on wars, raises for congress and other government officials, and/or being given to foreign countries. I do have a problem with the implementation Obamacare, Social Security, and I do have a problem with those who abuse the system, but I can't understand why most are soooooOOooooOOOoo much more upset over this than they are with our government handing our money over to foreign nations... Also to be exact, your tax dollars aren't really being spent on these programs or foreign aid and/or wars because we're borrowing money that we will never be able to pay back to be able to fund it all.

I would rather my charity dollars went to feed the impoverished. With my tax dollars used to help everyone, not just the select chosen few.

Government is suppose to treat us all equally. Not do everything to make us all equal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies