Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2014, 10:46 PM

39,218 posts, read 27,586,391 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
You most certainly did. You stated that you attended college and that you were raised in an upper-middle-class family.

Maybe I was harsh on you. For that, I apologize.

You say you want to learn. I'm telling you that for some people, having a child transcends economic status. You are not wrong in questioning the wisdom of such choices, but you should broaden your understanding so that you don't criticize these people for wanting children.
I said "when I was in college, my monthly grocery budget is $120 - $150" "I came from comfortable upper middle class, and my family of three's monthly grocery budget is $500" Does it mean I think I am better than anybody else?. If I sounded arrogant, well, I don't know any other ways to say it better.

Yes, you were harsh on me, don't know why since I have always been polite to you?

I never criticized others for wanting children, why do you put words in my mouth is beyond me.

I said "bringing a child to the world just to suffer from poverty is not love." and I will say this till the day I die.

If you interpret it as being arrogant, judgmental, then be my guest. (shrug)

Old 04-05-2014, 10:47 PM

9,763 posts, read 10,524,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Yes I can. But we are talking about LOVE the four letter word here, you know?

It is not selfish, it is selfless.

I don't judge anybody, I am only saying bringing a life to the world suffer from poverty in the name of love is selfish.
Bringing a child into the world is never selfish. Just because parents may be impoverished does not make them selfish for wanting children.

Quote:
But, here is always the big but, everybody makes choices with the information they have at the time, they deserve compassion, not judgment. There are a lot of young mothers work two three jobs just to give their children a bright future. They refuse to rely on social welfare. They show true love to the kids, don't you think?
I would never pretend to know what true love means to anyone. I'm certainly not going to use economic status as a basis, nor drive, nor intelligence, nor any other factor.

Quote:
They call it live with dignity.
And I applaud them. That doesn't mean I hold everyone to such a standard.

Quote:
Edit: Having said that, yes, we need to do all we can to help the young mother or dad and her or his child.
Yes, I agree.

Old 04-05-2014, 10:48 PM

9,827 posts, read 6,934,095 times
I'm learning... I'm learning that I should have sat home on my butt to enjoy my children, rather than to go out and work to pay for their raising and college. Yeah, I'm learning a lot here..

Old 04-05-2014, 10:48 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,724,715 times
Quote:
I said "when I was in college, my monthly grocery budget is $120 - $150" "I came from comfortable upper middle class, and my family of three's monthly grocery budget is $500" Does it mean I think I am better than anybody else. If I sounded arrogant, well, I don't know any other ways to say it better.

Yes, you were harsh on me, don't know why since I have always been polite to you?
did you notice he is harsh on those who do not buy into his way of thinking and don't agree that it's ok to have children when you can't afford to support them.

Never apologize for being raised in a upper middle class home. At least your parents made sure they could afford to give you a reasonably good childhood before having you and it sounds like they raised you to have a good head on your shoulders.

Old 04-05-2014, 10:50 PM

9,763 posts, read 10,524,704 times
Quote:
I said "when I was in college, my monthly grocery budget is $120 - $150" "I came from comfortable upper middle class, and my family of three's monthly grocery budget is $500" Does it mean I think I am better than anybody else?. If I sounded arrogant, well, I don't know any other ways to say it better.

Again, I apologize. I grew up poor, so when I hear someone from your class criticize poor people, it sets off a red alarm. Like I said, walk a day in a poor woman's shoes, then speak.

Old 04-05-2014, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
did you notice he is harsh on those who do not buy into his way of thinking and don't agree that it's ok to have children when you can't afford to support them.

Never apologize for being raised in a upper middle class home. At least your parents made sure they could afford to give you a reasonably good childhood before having you and it sounds like they raised you to have a good head on your shoulders.
Jesus. We better watch what we say here. :ta pe:

Old 04-05-2014, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Again, I apologize. I grew up poor, so when I hear someone from your class criticize poor people, it sets off a red alarm. Like I said, walk a day in a poor woman's shoes, then speak.
You see, someone like her lived in an upper class. Most likely hearing talk and being taught how to make it in life as best as the parents could. I call it the roundtable. Instead maybe you should open your mind and listen to her.

Old 04-05-2014, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Jesus. We better watch what we say here. :ta pe:
LOL, I've been ripped a few times myself. yea, we might be better off saying oh poor you

I grew up middle, middle class and moved to upper class, not being poor, we have nothing to contribute. And no I am not being sarcastic or arrogant, I just know what I did to move up and it wasn't expecting others to pay my way.

Old 04-05-2014, 10:54 PM

Quote:
I NEVER criticized the poor. "bring a child to the world just to suffer from poverty is not love" is all I said. If that is criticizing the poor, please accept my sincere apology.

My dad came from poverty, he is successful (I hope I am not bragging) My dad worked hard all his life. My mother is a housewife, also came from humble middle class. Brother joined the Marine Corps when I was 11, never got any "benefits" from government. So I am sorry, I am not familiar with social welfare program.

Just because I have not walked one day in poor women or poor man's shoes, doesn't mean I cannot speak about welfare abuse.

Old 04-05-2014, 11:00 PM

Quote:
I NEVER criticized the poor. "bring a child to the world just to suffer from poverty is not love" is all I said. If that is criticizing the poor, please accept my sincere apology.

My dad came from poverty, he is successful (I hope I am not bragging) My dad worked hard all his life. My mother is a housewife, also came from humble middle class. Brother joined the Marine Corps when I was 11, never got any "benefits" from government. So I am sorry, I am not familiar with social welfare program.

Just because I have not walked one day in poor women or poor man's shoes, doesn't mean I cannot speak about welfare abuse.

nvxplorer does't understand why I dislike Obama. Being that I started out middle class and struggled too, I finally started to climb out. It's not a partisan thing, it's from that struggle that I understand that Obama's policies made it harder for others who also want to climb up and out of the rat race.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies