U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2014, 11:23 PM

33,373 posts, read 20,137,562 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Ok the working poor, I have more respect for them then welfare queens and the dead beat dads who take off. And you are right, if they work another job, they lose welfare benefits so why wouldn't they go back on assistance. Welfare helps keep people on welfare, it discourages people from getting off.
Exactly.

"Poor People have been voting for Democrats for the last 50 years,
...and they are still poor."" -----Charles Barkley

There is a reason for that.

Are we helping the poor?

Anti-poverty programmes: Are we helping the poor? | The Economist

Old 04-05-2014, 11:24 PM

39,321 posts, read 20,390,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
Agreed. This is a societal issue, and should be addressed as such.

Poor people have been having children since the dawn of man. Nothing will change that.

I don't know anyone who has children who did so because they expected a free ride. Sure, you can find anything on the internet to illustrate a point, but such people are anomalies.

I have always lived my life as you describe. I say, "you need to take care of yourself before you can take care of your loved ones." This is only advice, however. I would never expect everyone (or anyone, for that matter) to live by my worldview.
Many people have kids without a care of how they will support them. They know they can get welfare. That is greed and selfishness.

Old 04-05-2014, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Exactly.

"Poor People have been voting for Democrats for the last 50 years,
...and they are still poor."" -----Charles Barkley

There is a reason for that.

Are we helping the poor?

Anti-poverty programmes: Are we helping the poor? | The Economist
Democrats know that that poor people typically vote Democrat, unions also push them to vote democrat. Why should Democrats work for poor, they don't have to, they got them in the bag. Democrats just make promises that don't materialize and the poor keep voting. Just like Obama said "hope and change" yet 5 years later the poor are still poor and there are "more poor".

Old 04-05-2014, 11:32 PM

9,742 posts, read 9,335,377 times
Quote:
Many people have kids without a care of how they will support them. They know they can get welfare. That is greed and selfishness.
How do you know this? I'm not claiming such people don't exist, but how can you make such a blanket statement with nothing to back it up? If this were such a pervasive problem, as some here claim, both you and I would have known of these people somehow.

The dregs of society will always exist, even in a booming economy. I don't think they are numerous enough to pose a problem.

Old 04-05-2014, 11:32 PM

“There is something obscene about people holding protest rallies in order to try to keep getting money that someone else worked for.”
Thomas Sowell ‏@ThomasSowell Feb 21

Old 04-05-2014, 11:34 PM

9,832 posts, read 5,852,753 times
Quote:
How do you know this? I'm not claiming such people don't exist, but how can you make such a blanket statement with nothing to back it up? If this were such a pervasive problem, as some here claim, both you and I would have known of these people somehow.

The dregs of society will always exist, even in a booming economy. I don't think they are numerous enough to pose a problem.
Don't get out much do you...

Quote:

Remember my post about the girl that said "now what fool would be out there in that storm". Those fools working to support your fat ass"? She had 3 kids, now her daughter has one kid, she is on welfare and so is her boyfriend, they live with the mother. They didn't seem to care.

Quote:
Democrats know that that poor people typically vote Democrat, unions also push them to vote democrat. Why should Democrats work for poor, they don't have to, they got them in the bag. Democrats just make promises that don't materialize and the poor keep voting. Just like Obama said "hope and change" yet 5 years later the poor are still poor and there are "more poor".
Here we are in agreement. I said as much in a previous post. The Republicans are no better. They try to convince us that cutting taxes for the wealthy will help the poor. Both parties are full of it.

Old 04-05-2014, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Remember my post about the girl that said "now what fool would be out there in that storm". Those fools working to support your fat ass"? She had 3 kids, now her daughter has one kid, she is on welfare and so is her boyfriend, they live with the mother. They didn't seem to care.
That's one family, twenty years ago, petch. One family in twenty years is not "pervasive" by any definition.

Old 04-05-2014, 11:37 PM

Quote:
That's one family, twenty years ago, petch. One family in twenty years is not "pervasive" by any definition.
like a previous cd member said, get out a little more, they are all around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies