Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2014, 11:46 AM

5,563 posts, read 4,260,400 times

Advertisements

That's your defense? A video that has nothing to do with anything we've been discussing? Clever diversion is not one of your strong suits, I take it.

Quote:
These are basic core Democrat voters (black Michigans with bizarrely spelled names), surely they could not have been so cruel?
Wow, no racial profiling going on in your head, huh? You have absolutely no idea who those people are or who they voted for. If your standard for judging people is the way their names are spelled, you are a truly lost soul.

Quote:
Life is harsh lady, get used to it.

Of course life is harsh. That's precisely why a just society take some measures to care for those who are down and out. Of course, I accept that there will always be those who use life's harshness as an excuse to be selfish, greedy and vile.

Old 04-06-2014, 12:22 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,749,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
If they're TAKING more from society than they're contributing, it's a net LOSS. How do you not know that?
Like walmart? How come you don't know that? Further you make a big assumption, assuming people who are on goverment assistance are not contributing to society.

76 percent of SNAP households included a child, an elderly person or a disabled person. These vulnerable households receive 83 percent of all SNAP benefits.” According to*the USDA, “Over 30 percent of SNAP households had earnings in 2011 and 41 percent of all SNAP participants lived in a household with earnings.”

One more thing, people don’t get very much food stamp money: four percent get*only $16 a month. The average household gets $281 a month. The average individual*gets about*$133 a month.

Would you quit work or refuse a job for $133 a month which can*only*be used to buy food?

Further, me personally ive worked for over 20+ years and paid taxes that go

Continued next post

Last edited by hawaiian by heart; 04-06-2014 at 12:36 PM..

Old 04-06-2014, 12:26 PM

9,763 posts, read 10,523,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreutz View Post
I am unaware of anyone being homeless due to "bad luck".

Bad decisions and bad planning, yes.

But bad luck? Not sure if luck even exists truth be told, but the lack of it has never rendered anyone sans roof.
Luck, in this sense, is an event that is beyond one's control, such as having your job shipped to China, for example.

Old 04-06-2014, 12:31 PM

88,965 posts, read 44,780,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
Like walmart?
People vote with their purchases. If they didn't like what Walmart was doing, they would shut it down. Much like Mozilla's CEO was forced to quit by a boycott.

Looks like the people have spoken. Walmart is indeed favored by the masses.

Old 04-06-2014, 12:34 PM

9,763 posts, read 10,523,473 times
Quote:
People vote with their purchases. If they didn't like what Walmart was doing, they would shut it down. Much like Mozilla's CEO was forced to quit by a boycott.

True, but this doesn't really address what hbh was saying, that being Walmart takes more than it gives.

A counter argument could be: People vote at the ballot box. If they didn't like what Obama had to offer, they wouldn't have elected him twice.

Old 04-06-2014, 12:39 PM

Continued from last post

Into supporting the foodstamp program, so i assume alot of people have. So if i use it in a time of need, i shouldnt feel bad about it.

Old 04-06-2014, 12:39 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,329,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
True, but this doesn't really address what hbh was saying, that being Walmart takes more than it gives.

A counter argument could be: People vote at the ballot box. If they didn't like what Obama had to offer, they wouldn't have elected him twice.
The sad thing is IMO he could win a third time if he could run.

Old 04-06-2014, 12:43 PM

Quote:

No people are addicted to shopping. And proof is the Average credit card debt per indebted household is $17,630.

Old 04-06-2014, 12:45 PM

924 posts, read 666,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoniDanko View Post
I do not have a problem with welfare for those who need it, and I rather my tax dollar be spent on people who need help rather than on wars, raises for congress and other government officials, and/or being given to foreign countries. I do have a problem with the implementation Obamacare, Social Security, and I do have a problem with those who abuse the system, but I can't understand why most are soooooOOooooOOOoo much more upset over this than they are with our government handing our money over to foreign nations... Also to be exact, your tax dollars aren't really being spent on these programs or foreign aid and/or wars because we're borrowing money that we will never be able to pay back to be able to fund it all.
It's because the DOD budget is untouchable in conservatives' eyes and if we dont spend more money on defense than all other developed nations do combined, the terrorists will get us (because they hate us for our freedom).

That said, there's not much talk from either side to shrink the military budget...

Old 04-06-2014, 12:46 PM

88,965 posts, read 44,780,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
Even if so, the majority clearly doesn't mind that. They would have shut down Walmart, otherwise. Note that they have not.
Quote:
Exactly. So why are we now hearing complaints about Wall Street getting bailouts, and the rich getting even richer? That's what people voted for. Twice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies