Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2014, 11:28 PM

458 posts, read 643,174 times

Advertisements

Name-brand soup? What the hell is that?
I've never heard of such a thing.

Old 03-27-2014, 11:50 PM

37,091 posts, read 42,078,286 times
I don't get what the OP's experience at Walmart (a place he generally NEVER goes to but....lol) has to do with welfare.
Was everyone flashing their welfare cards or something? Sounds like he just saw a bunch of people and cheap food and decided to rant.

I generally don't shop at Walmart either because I don't like big superstores, but they opened a Neighborhood Market near me and now I use the pharmacy there. They do have cheaper prices on a lot of things so I've bought stuff there myself.

Old 03-28-2014, 12:06 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,546,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Really? No. REALLY. Do you? For more then 5 years?

Welfare is not a long term forever thing now you know. RIGHT? You know this right? That it has a 5 year limit for the vast majority of states.

Oh wait...no your confusing the 20th century with the 21st century.
Welfare is certainly a long term forever thing. Housing vouchers, medicaid, food stamps, SSI checks and most other welfare handouts have no time limit.

About the only welfare handout that has a 5 year limit is the free cash giveaway called TANF where indigent women are handed free cash as a reward for giving birth.

Our welfare programs are definitely making welfare a lifestyle choice. There should be no cash handouts. Housing needs to be scaled down - housing vouchers of $2000 to $3000 a month is ridiculous. Food stamps need to be limited to a few food choices.

Old 03-28-2014, 12:08 AM

6,331 posts, read 5,199,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Welfare is certainly a long term forever thing. Housing vouchers, medicaid, food stamps, SSI checks and most other welfare handouts have no time limit.

About the only welfare handout that has a 5 year limit is the free cash giveaway called TANF where indigent women are handed free cash as a reward for giving birth.

Our welfare programs are definitely making welfare a lifestyle choice. There should be no cash handouts. Housing needs to be scaled down - housing vouchers of $2000 to $3000 a month is ridiculous. Food stamps need to be limited to a few food choices.
The percentage of people on lifelong welfare is a very small fraction

I prefer not to spend too much time and effort worrying and getting pissed off what a tiny fraction does, got bigger things to worry about.

Old 03-28-2014, 12:17 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,546,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Draper View Post
The percentage of people on lifelong welfare is a very small fraction

I prefer not to spend too much time and effort worrying and getting pissed off what a tiny fraction does, got bigger things to worry about.
It's not that small. There may be some who worked 2 or 3 years and then got on welfare handouts. I guess you could say they weren't on lifelong welfare.

What's becoming a very small fraction are the taxpayers.

Even if food stamps are viewed as necessary, there is no reason to reward the most irresponsible with free cash.

Old 03-28-2014, 01:07 AM

7,242 posts, read 7,889,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
Thanks for modeling typical right-wing perspective, i.e., the consideration of those most vulnerable in society (most of whom are good people who would love to work hard at a job that paid enough so that they could pay their own way and secure their own future) as "animals" rather than as human beings like yourself. It really helps underscore the thoroughly immoral nature of that which Republicans and libertarians support.
Given that he's a typical right winger he probably just saw a black person and then assumed that because they were black they must be on welfare and so he should get angry at them. "I saw a black person buying a cellphone so he must be on welfare!"

Old 03-28-2014, 01:29 AM

10,029 posts, read 10,872,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself View Post
Given that he's a typical right winger he probably just saw a black person and then assumed that because they were black they must be on welfare and so he should get angry at them. "I saw a black person buying a cellphone so he must be on welfare!"
Why is it the leftists who always use the race card? I have seen white people abusing the system as well as black, Hispanic even Asian.

Malamute, regarding the housing voucher, I have seen online and even in real life people complaining they didn't get a big enough one. Someone I know has 5 kids and they were complaining they didn't get enough money so everyone can have their own room. They should be lucky to have any housing.

Old 03-28-2014, 01:50 AM

6,331 posts, read 5,199,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
It's not that small. There may be some who worked 2 or 3 years and then got on welfare handouts. I guess you could say they weren't on lifelong welfare.

What's becoming a very small fraction are the taxpayers.

Even if food stamps are viewed as necessary, there is no reason to reward the most irresponsible with free cash.
Yes they are, it's basically the outliers of society, which is a small minority.

There is the bull you are fed by talk radio, then there is reality. The two rarely meet.

Old 03-28-2014, 03:54 AM

1,730 posts, read 1,359,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself View Post
That's a stupid post. Are you 12?

Old 03-28-2014, 04:05 AM

41,478 posts, read 59,638,996 times
Without welfare payments Wal-Mart and their suppliers would go out of business. Welfare payments subsidize the people that sell junk to the poor. Note that welfare payments are not in a form that can be invested. In most places people cannot own a house, have investments or even a bank account so they cannot ever save any money and use it to make money. The system is designed to support demand and keep the poor poor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies