Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2014, 05:50 PM

4,721 posts, read 5,312,771 times

Advertisements

The middle class is paying for all the social programs too, and many are falling from the middle class to the lower class because they can't afford to make it. Are we going to ever make people responsible for their actions? Just like bailing out people that bought homes they couldn't afford. Everyone blamed the banks. Yes, the banks should have screened more effectively, but when are we going to be held responsible for our financial choices. If I keep using a credit card and not paying it off, I will wind up owing more than I can pay. Common sense should tell people to live within their means, but it doesn't seem to work that way. Life is hard, and without hard work we will not succeed. Education should be equal in our country, but it is not. Many inner-city schools are just places where kids are dumped not educated. As a country, we need more vocational training, so that kids are ready to work when they get out of school. This would help in all areas of our country. This common core nonsense seems to think every child should read Shakespeare. Some people are happier working in a skilled trade, and they should be given the option to trade for that while in public school.

Old 04-04-2014, 07:27 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,734,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmqueen View Post
And how do you enforce all this? That's what I'm asking. It's easy to blather on an Internet forum with trite clichés. Much harder to make everyone bend to your will, is it not?
I suggest teaching morals instead we have self centered heathens. You see when someone has morals they are able to know how they would handle things and stop being so selfish.

It is selfish to bring children into the world knowing you can't afford to support them.

Old 04-04-2014, 08:27 PM

89,006 posts, read 44,824,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Opinionated View Post
Well, most times those "poor stupid people" made a choice to help the 'smart' people who love to denounce them get wealthy by working for them.
And those poor people got paid for doing so according to their skill level and the market demand for their labor. If their skill level and/or labor supply wasn't high enough to warrant more pay, whose fault is that?

Old 04-04-2014, 09:33 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,595,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmqueen View Post
And how do you enforce all this? That's what I'm asking. It's easy to blather on an Internet forum with trite clichés. Much harder to make everyone bend to your will, is it not?
Elect politicians with spines, cut off the free money, and let the parasites succeed or starve on their own.

It's so damned simple it's perplexing that this has not been done already.

Old 04-04-2014, 09:38 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,371,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreutz View Post
Elect politicians with spines, cut off the free money, and let the parasites succeed or starve on their own.

It's so damned simple it's perplexing that this has not been done already.
Maybe...just maybe because those 46.8 million people on food stamps...when they began starving...might take exception.

Yeah richest nation on the planet, and we have 46.8 million on food stamps...why is that?

Old 04-04-2014, 11:33 PM

4,721 posts, read 5,312,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Maybe...just maybe because those 46.8 million people on food stamps...when they began starving...might take exception.

Yeah richest nation on the planet, and we have 46.8 million on food stamps...why is that?

There are about 313.9 million people as of 2012 in the US, so I think we outnumber them don't you? Watching people starve would be intolerable, but there must be changes made. The number of people on food stamps is growing, and something needs to be done. We all have different ideas, but until it is made a priority nothing will change.

Old 04-05-2014, 02:27 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,705,895 times
It is already a priority. The problem is that powerful people are unwilling to do allow any of the right things to be done because those sort of things would adversely impact their own comfort, luxury and wealth.

Old 04-05-2014, 02:36 AM

34,278 posts, read 19,371,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgianbelle View Post
There are about 313.9 million people as of 2012 in the US, so I think we outnumber them don't you? Watching people starve would be intolerable, but there must be changes made. The number of people on food stamps is growing, and something needs to be done. We all have different ideas, but until it is made a priority nothing will change.
LOL. yes Im sure we outnumber the many women, children and elderly on the list. But do we outnumber them, and all of their family? And friends? Uhmmm...no. no we dont.

But hey you straight out say-watching them starve would be intolerable. So...whats your solution? Forced slave labor? Or? I mean yeah you talk all big, "cut the food stamps" but then...."watching them starve would be intolerable"

So WHO exactly do you think is getting food stamps? Im sure you picture some healthy guy just sitting around doing nothing laughing his butt off about us normal working folks.

And yeah there are some of those. I wish we could easily separate them out from:
R who is clinically insane, but his meds keep him somewhat stable, completely unemployable
D who is bi polar and collecting social security, and food stamps
G who is elderly and on social security and food stamps, he'd like to work, but being in that wheelchair and really old is kinda hampering him
K who is 9, shes getting them while her dad is off getting shot at in Afghanistan.

I at least have a plan, an idea-what have you got thats even remotely realistic?

Old 04-05-2014, 04:19 AM

89,006 posts, read 44,824,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Because we pay people to sit back and do nothing, and/or to breed. We don't even require them to be productive or to contribute to society in any way. We just keep handing them free stuff. Guess what that incentivizes? I've already shown the result:

Medicaid Pays For Nearly Half of All Births in the United States | publichealth.gwu.edu

Old 04-05-2014, 06:39 AM

5,563 posts, read 4,262,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
I suggest teaching morals instead we have self centered heathens. You see when someone has morals they are able to know how they would handle things and stop being so selfish.
Why don't you start? Clearly we need someone with a high standard of morality, who understands the vital importance of goodwill and love towards fellow man, has charitable thoughts and lives a life of humility -- you know, someone such as yourself -- to take the lead.

Preach on, sister!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies