Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2014, 07:44 PM

41,111 posts, read 25,595,470 times

Advertisements

In short, the political left’s welfare state makes poverty more comfortable, while penalizing attempts to rise out of poverty."

"the left’s agenda is a disservice to the poor, as well as to society, promoting envy and a sense of grievance, while making loud demands for “rights” to what other people have produced.

This agenda has seldom lifted the poor out of poverty. But it has lifted the left to positions of power, while they promote policies with counterproductive results."

Old 04-05-2014, 07:45 PM

9,763 posts, read 10,496,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
Gee you make my argument and point sound so easy when you write it. Bummer but good.
Thank you, hbh.

Old 04-05-2014, 07:48 PM

38,985 posts, read 27,367,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
Ok i guess i will have to ask, what makes you think welfare hasn't helped the poor? Which program are you talking about? Do you think its the majority or minority of welfare recipients that are abusing the system? I believe in helping those in need but who defines what need is?
Hawaiian by heart, I hope you can handle the truth.

Why have so many poor families decided to forgo a government check? Could it be that work requirements may have scared some families off -- and depending on your political outlook, you might consider that a good thing.

Household Size Maximum
Monthly Benefit
October 2013 Maximum Monthly Benefit
November 2013-September 2014 Average
Monthly Benefit

3 $526
4 $668

A Quick Guide to SNAP Eligibility and Benefits — Center on Budget and Policy Priorities

I came from a very comfortable upper middle class family, but I can tell you that when I was a college student, my monthly budget for grocery and food was only $120/month. When I temporarily moved in with my parents one year ago, my family of three's monthly grocery budget is $500 and we ate really well.

We are now giving the "poor" $526/month for a family of three just for food and grocery and some of these people still complain.

When I provided the link earlier, you said, "I don't know anybody can get $7,000 / month welfare" You don't even want to click on the link and read it.

Why do you deny there is a HUGE problem for welfare abuse is beyond me.

In the past of two years, I had two people in the mall came up to me and wanted to give me foodstamp in exchange of store merchandise. Common sense has told me that they got way more money than they really needed.

Be fair please.

Do we need steep military budget cut? Yes, we do, but we shouldn't be touching the veteran benefits because veteran benefits are EARNED benefits, they are not social program. Many of my friends came back from foreign country suffered from PTSD and these people need their military benefit or pension whatever it is called. They are not welfare queens.

Military budget cut, and welfare reform can co-exist. This the ONLY point I am trying to make.

Old 04-05-2014, 07:51 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,710,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
"the left’s agenda is a disservice to the poor, as well as to society, promoting envy and a sense of grievance, while making loud demands for “rights” to what other people have produced — is a pattern that has been widespread in countries around the world. This agenda has seldom lifted the poor out of poverty. But it has lifted the left to positions of power and self-aggrandizement, while they promote policies with socially counterproductive results."
Vs what bruddah? A right that learns toward a Aristocracy attitude, that wealth and poverty are a moral issue, then anything else. So if im rich im morally superior. Might is always right? That a real service to all.

Old 04-05-2014, 07:52 PM

Quote:
In short, the political left’s welfare state makes poverty more comfortable, while penalizing attempts to rise out of poverty."

"the left’s agenda is a disservice to the poor, as well as to society, promoting envy and a sense of grievance, while making loud demands for “rights” to what other people have produced — is a pattern that has been widespread in countries around the world. This agenda has seldom lifted the poor out of poverty. But it has lifted the left to positions of power and self-aggrandizement, while they promote policies with socially counterproductive results."
blah...blah...blah...

...and the right's agenda is the rich getting richer, with shantytowns for everyone else...as seen around the world where money and power reside with the few.

"To the poor house you go, peasant!"

Old 04-05-2014, 07:57 PM

41,111 posts, read 25,595,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
blah...blah...blah...

...and the right's agenda is the rich getting richer, with shantytowns for everyone else...as seen around the world where money and power reside with the few.

"To the poor house you go, peasant!"
Quote:
promoting envy and a sense of grievance, while making loud demands for “rights” to what other people have produced
So you think you have a right to what others produce? The poor already get assistance of all kinds, they are not starving. Sorry, if you want a better life it's time to stop demanding that others pay for it and make changes to earn it.

Old 04-05-2014, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Hawaiian by heart, I hope you can handle the truth.

Why have so many poor families decided to forgo a government check? Could it be that work requirements may have scared some families off -- and depending on your political outlook, you might consider that a good thing.

Household Size Maximum
Monthly Benefit
October 2013 Maximum Monthly Benefit
November 2013-September 2014 Average
Monthly Benefit

3 $526
4 $668

A Quick Guide to SNAP Eligibility and Benefits — Center on Budget and Policy Priorities

I came from a very comfortable upper middle class family, but I can tell you that when I was a college student, my monthly budget for grocery and food was only $120/month. When I temporarily moved in with my parents one year ago, my family of three's monthly grocery budget is $500 and we ate really well.

We are now giving the "poor" $526/month for a family of three just for food and grocery and some of these people still complain.

When I provided the link earlier, you said, "I don't know anybody can get $7,000 / month welfare" You don't even want to click on the link and read it.

Why do you deny there is a HUGE problem for welfare abuse is beyond me.

In the past of two years, I had two people in the mall came up to me and wanted to give me foodstamp in exchange of store merchandise. Common sense has told me that they got way more money than they really needed.

Be fair please.

Do we need steep military budget cut? Yes, we do, but we shouldn't be touching the veteran benefits because veteran benefits are EARNED benefits, they are not social program.

Military budget cut, and welfare reform can co-exist. This the ONLY point I am trying to make.
It's wonderful that you come from an affluent background. Consider yourself lucky. We don't get to pick our parents.

Two people in a mall over the course of two years does not equate to a HUGE problem.

As far as your food budget goes, what do you eat? $526 does not buy a lot of groceries. That's a very modest budget, IMO. My wife and I spend that easily in a month, and we don't buy steak.

Old 04-05-2014, 08:03 PM

8,299 posts, read 8,578,850 times
Quote:
Sting? No I am laughing and lily has excellent observation skills when she says that every time someone brings up welfare reform someone always brings up corporate welfare. Of course me and you know those are lefties.
And libertarians.

Nice try though.

Old 04-05-2014, 08:04 PM

38,985 posts, read 27,367,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
It's wonderful that you come from an affluent background. Consider yourself lucky. We don't get to pick our parents.

Two people in a mall over the course of two years does not equate to a HUGE problem.

As far as your food budget goes, what do you eat? $526 does not buy a lot of groceries. That's a very modest budget, IMO. My wife and I spend that easily in a month, and we don't buy steak.
Again, this kind of attitude annoys me. and I have been polite.

Two people in the mall is just an example. If you want other examples, you can google it.

Old 04-05-2014, 08:05 PM

Quote:
So you think you have a right to what others produce? The poor already get assistance of all kinds, they are not starving. Sorry, if you want a better life it's time to stop demanding that others pay for it and make changes to earn it.
I'm done discussing economics with you, petch. Educate yourself...or keep thinking only the rich man gives you a job. Makes no difference to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies