Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2014, 11:03 PM

9,763 posts, read 10,527,281 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
You see, someone like her lived in an upper class. Most likely hearing talk and being taught how to make it in life as best as the parents could. I call it the roundtable. Instead maybe you should open your mind and listen to her.
Instead of what, petch?

Are you claiming poor parents don't teach their children as best they can?

I've been listening, and I disagree. No need to open my mind. Maybe you should open yours and understand that poor people want children, as well. I think it's unconscionable to criticize people for wanting children based on their economic status.

No job for you! No children for you! To the poor house with you, peasant! If that's your view of life, then you're a few centuries behind the times.

Old 04-05-2014, 11:07 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,730,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
Instead of what, petch?

I've been listening, and I disagree. No need to open my mind. Maybe you should open yours and understand that poor people want children, as well. I think it's unconscionable to criticize people for wanting children based on their economic status.

No job for you! No children for you! To the poor house with you, peasant! If that's your view of life, then you're a few centuries behind the times.
I never claimed that poor parents don't teach their children but they typically teach what they know.. how to think like a poor person and to do more of the same. Now not in all instances but in most.

You don't have to be rich to have children but to bring them into poverty is unconscionable. There is a saying, sharpen the saw, meaning if you can't take care of yourself how can you take good care of others. And to expect other people to pay for your children is greedy and wrong.

Old 04-05-2014, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
I NEVER criticized the poor. "bring a child to the world just to suffer from poverty is not love" is all I said. If that is criticizing the poor, please accept my sincere apology.
Yes, but in saying that, you are denying that parents do indeed love their children irrespective of their economic status.

Quote:
My dad came from poverty, he is successful (I hope I am not bragging) My dad worked hard all his life. My mother is a housewife, also came from humble middle class. Brother joined the Marine Corps when I was 11, never got any "benefits" from government. So I am sorry, I am not familiar with social welfare program.
Your parents did well. I applaud them. I'm sure you realize that everyone cannot necessarily achieve what they did.

Quote:
Just because I have not walked one day in poor women or poor man's shoes, doesn't mean I cannot speak about welfare abuse.

Of course not, but this discussion has veered away from welfare abuse. No one in this thread has supported abuse. I'm talking about the poor, especially the working poor.

Old 04-05-2014, 11:10 PM

39,228 posts, read 27,597,823 times
Quote:
Instead of what, petch?

I suggest you change strategy. Putting words in people's mouth is really getting old.

None of us here is going to apologize for leading a somewhat decent life. We work hard for it and we deserve it.

There are welfare queens out there who don't deserve our compassion or help because they abuse the hell out of the system. These are the people we are talking about and attacking, not the poor parents and their children who really need help.

Big difference. we have compassion, we just choose to give our compassion to the people who deserve it.

Old 04-05-2014, 11:13 PM

39,228 posts, read 27,597,823 times
Quote:
Yes, but in saying that, you are denying that parents do indeed love their children irrespective of their economic status.

Your parents did well. I applaud them. I'm sure you realize that everyone cannot necessarily achieve what they did.

Of course not, but this discussion has veered away from welfare abuse. No one in this thread has supported abuse. I'm talking about the poor, especially the working poor.
Reminder: thread topic: all you welfare apologists, you are full of crap.

You chose to bring the poor especially the working poor into the discussion and insist on putting words in everybody's mouth.

none of us here have problems with the poor, especially the working poor.

9,827 posts, read 6,935,420 times
I have a niece. Her and her husband and their 3 children are the definition of the "working poor". Her husband got a second job. When he did, his food stamps were cut to a lower level. He quit his second job to get his assistance back. This is what is wrong with this society now. No-one strives to be upwardly mobile.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
I suggest you change strategy. Putting words in people's mouth is really getting old.

None of us here is going to apologize for leading a somewhat decent life. We work hard for it and we deserve it.

There are welfare queens out there who don't deserve our compassion or help because they abuse the hell out of the system. These are the people we are talking about and attacking, not the poor parents and their children who really need help.

Big difference. we have compassion, we just choose to give our compassion to the people who deserve it.
Well said!

When I was middle class I kept busting my butt working and read a lot to try to figure out what I could do, always trying to get out of the rat race. It turns out, I was part of the problem. People are so easy to blame everyone else instead of looking at what they are doing wrong.

Old 04-05-2014, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
I have a niece. Her and her husband and their 3 children are the definition of the "working poor". Her husband got a second job. When he did, his food stamps were cut to a lower level. He quit his second job to get his assistance back. This is what is wrong with this society now. No-one strives to be upwardly mobile.
Ok the working poor, I have more respect for them then welfare queens and the dead beat dads who take off. And you are right, if they work another job, they lose welfare benefits so why wouldn't they go back on assistance. Welfare helps keep people on welfare, it discourages people from getting off.

Old 04-05-2014, 11:18 PM

9,827 posts, read 6,935,420 times
Quote:
Ok the working poor, I have more respect for them then welfare queens and the dead beat dads who take off. And you are right, if they work another job, they lose welfare benefits so why wouldn't they go back on assistance. Welfare helps keep people on welfare, it discourages people from getting off.
Self respect?

Old 04-05-2014, 11:19 PM

Quote:
I never claimed that poor parents don't teach their children but they typically teach what they know.. how to think like a poor person and to do more of the same. Now not in all instances but in most.
Agreed. This is a societal issue, and should be addressed as such.

Quote:
You don't have to be rich to have children but to bring them into poverty is unconscionable. There is a saying, sharpen the saw, meaning if you can't take care of yourself how can you take good care of others. And to expect other people to pay for your children is greedy and wrong.
Poor people have been having children since the dawn of man. Nothing will change that.

I don't know anyone who has children who did so because they expected a free ride. Sure, you can find anything on the internet to illustrate a point, but such people are anomalies.

I have always lived my life as you describe. I say, "you need to take care of yourself before you can take care of your loved ones." This is only advice, however. I would never expect everyone (or anyone, for that matter) to live by my worldview.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies