U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-26-2014, 11:59 AM
 
33,963 posts, read 18,458,092 times
Reputation: 7492

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself View Post
You don't seem to be very bright. As this info was covered in several threads in the past.

Bankrupt Cities, Municipalities List and Map .
Bright? Bright is backing up your claim,which you have not done.

LOL....sorry, unlike you I have a job and I don't live here on CD and watch every thread....

Yes, Pat Morris, San Bernardino, Calif mayor....Democratic, whoops....that was the first CA town on your link....your not very bright are you? Don't answer that...we already know the answer....





Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself View Post
They're all in inland counties which tend to be red areas in this state. Also they are the cities with the fewest government workers, tend to have the lowest pension obligations, and mostly rural areas with limited tax bases. Also most of them got very big into subsidizing land developer speculation during the realestate boom; basically they took out massive loans to extend roads and city utilities out to new developments thinking that the tax dollars from those new developments would enable them to pay the loans back. Sadly, the no one ever bought those homes so those new tax dollars never materialized but locals were still on the hook for all the loans they took out to subsidize the out of town developers who speculated. It's a classic case of Republican corruption where out of town business interests make big promises, Republicans corruptly give them tons of money out of city treasuries and co-sign loans in exchange for campaign contributions, only to see the whole thing go bust and taxpayers are on the hook for everything.

We don't allow this sort of government-developer collusion in the wealthy, desirable coastal areas and instead if a developer wants to build here we require them to pay the cost to extend roads and utilities out to their development site. Yes, that does tend to drive up costs modestly but it also means the DEVELOPER is on the hook for costs instead of taxpayers being on the hook and buyers of those homes themselves end up paying for the cost of their development. We find this a much better solution compared to the how the inland Republican controlled areas stick taxpayers with the bill and then end up bankrupt.
Just garbage, complete utter garbage, nothing to back anything up...just an unbackable rant...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-26-2014, 12:00 PM
 
33,963 posts, read 18,458,092 times
Reputation: 7492
Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself View Post
Just garbage, complete utter garbage. Their mythical "average tax rate" averages it out reguardless of tax bracket while literally 90% of the population doesn't pay anything close to that. Further more it only talks about nominal tax rates instead of effective tax rates, I.E. the ACTUAL rates paid. So, as usual, the right wing has nothing but lies by omission and misrepresentations. FACT: Businesses pay a higher effective tax rate in Texas than in California. FACT: Your average home owner pays less in state and local taxes in California than in Texas. The fictitious "averages" just get spiked by the higher rates on the wealthy which only a few percent of the population ever pays yet those wealthy still don't leave their Malibu beach house or Vineyards in Napa because its still better than any where else they could live.
I know, numbers suck for you...but at least there are numbers in my link, unlike your blog you posted....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-26-2014, 12:01 PM
 
3,322 posts, read 4,535,220 times
Reputation: 1539
Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself View Post
You don't seem to be very bright. As this info was covered in several threads in the past.

Bankrupt Cities, Municipalities List and Map

They're all in inland counties which tend to be red areas in this state. Also they are the cities with the fewest government workers, tend to have the lowest pension obligations, and mostly rural areas with limited tax bases. Also most of them got very big into subsidizing land developer speculation during the realestate boom; basically they took out massive loans to extend roads and city utilities out to new developments thinking that the tax dollars from those new developments would enable them to pay the loans back. Sadly, the no one ever bought those homes so those new tax dollars never materialized but locals were still on the hook for all the loans they took out to subsidize the out of town developers who speculated. It's a classic case of Republican corruption where out of town business interests make big promises, Republicans corruptly give them tons of money out of city treasuries and co-sign loans in exchange for campaign contributions, only to see the whole thing go bust and taxpayers are on the hook for everything.

We don't allow this sort of government-developer collusion in the wealthy, desirable coastal areas and instead if a developer wants to build here we require them to pay the cost to extend roads and utilities out to their development site. Yes, that does tend to drive up costs modestly but it also means the DEVELOPER is on the hook for costs instead of taxpayers being on the hook and buyers of those homes themselves end up paying for the cost of their development. We find this a much better solution compared to the how the inland Republican controlled areas stick taxpayers with the bill and then end up bankrupt.
Dude. Your link does not support your "fact" at all. The only fact is that you are wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-26-2014, 12:02 PM
 
33,963 posts, read 18,458,092 times
Reputation: 7492
Quote:
Originally Posted by theroc5156 View Post
Dude. Your link does not support your "fact" at all. The only fact is that you are wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theroc5156 View Post
Vallejo, CA went bankrupt in 2008 and it's in a Democrat-Controlled county.

Stockton, CA went bankrupt and it's in a Democrat-Controlled. (You know it's also tied with Montgomery, Alabama for having the highest obesity rate in the country?? Of course, you won't hear THAT when elitist liberals are bashing southerners for their eating habits.)

San Bernadino, CA went bankrupt and it's in a Democrat-Controlled county.

Mammoth Lakes, CA requested Bankruptcy and is in a Democrat-Controlled county


Atwater, CA is about to become bankrupt, and it's in a county that is Democrat-Controlled
Compton, CA is about to become bankrupt and it's in a county that is Democrat-Controlled.

Not seeing any Republican-Controlled counties.
Hahaaaa!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-26-2014, 01:02 PM
 
Location: Riverside
4,088 posts, read 3,681,005 times
Reputation: 3076
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
and mean while cali has 12 million more of a population...so based on population percentage...cali is LOSING

cali pop 38,332,521
tex pop 26,448,193

The largest over-the-year job increase occurred in Texas (+322,400), followed by California (+319,600) and Florida (+192,800).

calis growth .008
texas growth .012


spin it anyway you want it...cali is still coming in BEHIND TExas
Yeah, but.. far enough behind to call it "miraculous"???If the Conservative meme they keep pushing is true.. should CA be right behind (or, as of Feb, way ahead)???

That's my point. Not that Texas sucks- I LOVE Texas- friendliest people I ever met. I even think the SCENERY is beautiful (most of my friends opinions to the contrary).

My point is, don't ignore, or downplay the fact that, for all it's huge problems, CA is competing just fine.

Which you'd never know, from reading Breitbart.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-26-2014, 02:48 PM
 
Location: Central Texas
13,720 posts, read 25,469,591 times
Reputation: 9216
Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself View Post
Oops: The Texas Miracle That Isnít by Phillip Longman | The Washington Monthly

The Texas "miracle" which isn't.

FACT: Businesses get charged higher effective tax rates in Texas than in California.

FACT: Total state and local taxation actually takes a larger slice of the average person's income in Texas than in California (because California's taxes tend to be progressive hitting mostly just the wealthy).

FACT: The flow of people from California to Texas is a trivial amount, just a net 19,000 per year and most of those are poor people without college degrees.

FACT: Texas job growth (outside of the oil & gas sector) has done nothing but followed general population growth which means percentage of population wise Texas UNDERPERFORMS several other states in job growth especially since (again, outside of oil & gas) a larger percentage of jobs in Texas pay with in $2 of minimum wage. The ONLY sector with good paying jobs which is growing faster than the national average in Texas is oil. The Texas model doesn't work outside of natural resources which exist or do not exist independent of state politics.
If you read the full text of the article you linked there are some interesting points made:

"But Fisher is talking here about new jobs, and according to the Dallas Fed, only 28 percent of the jobs created in or relocated to Texas since 2001 pay in the lowest quarter of the nationís wage distribution. By comparison, jobs paying in the top half account for about 45 percent of the new jobs in Texas.

This means that Texas has been creating or attracting middle- and high-wage jobs at a far faster pace than the rest of the country taken as whole. For example, between 2001 and 2012, the number of Texas jobs in the upper-middle quarter of the nationís wage distribution increased by 25.6 percent. This compares with a 4.1 percent decline in the number of such jobs outside of Texas. Though coming off a comparatively small base, Texas has also outperformed the rest of the country in its growth of high-paying jobs."

Texas is adding jobs faster than population growth if the unemployment rate has been declining - which it is. That Texas can absorb this population growth, and employ these people, is rather remarkable. On the other hand, California's unemployment rate remains high, and has had negative net domestic migration for more than 20 years.

I don't understand why people seem to think an energy sector job is not a good one. Is a chemical engineer making $100K inferior to a programmer making $100K?

I wish people would quit moving to Texas for a decade. But unfortunately for us, as imperfect as Texas may be, it sucks a lot more in other places.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-26-2014, 02:54 PM
 
Location: Central Texas
13,720 posts, read 25,469,591 times
Reputation: 9216
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurbie View Post
So wait... The Texas Miracle beat Failed State CA last year... by a whopping margin of 3,000 job???

What is that, .001% or something? LMAO!

About time people started to call Texas, and it's Red State braggarts, on their BS.
CA has 12M more people than Texas. So if CA added just as many jobs as Texas, they added less per capita. Job growth was slower.

There are still 1.5M unemployed people in CA, which doesn't count those who quit looking. These people are drawing public services, not paying taxes, not spending money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-26-2014, 03:17 PM
 
Location: Upper East Side of Texas
12,521 posts, read 23,052,604 times
Reputation: 4890
Quote:
Originally Posted by West Coast Republican View Post
I live in California. It's true we have the largest economy in the nation, but that doesn't mean that we have the best. While we do have some of the big players like Silicon Valley, Hollywood, Biotech etc.... that's not the majority of jobs. Most people are working at small businesses which will always be small because The State imposes too many taxes and regulations and fees that keep the businesses down, forever stuck in small business limbo. Which is why many of them move to nearby other states like Arizona and Nevada.

We also have a very high cost of living. Now to be fair we do get paid more on average than elsewhere, but it only barely evens out. I could be enjoying a much higher standard of living in a different state. Sometimes I think about moving back to Oregon or Arizona, the liberal Nanny State is always up your butt here. The best way to turn people into Republicans is send them to this state, I don't care if you're a liberal, spend some time here and you'll be a conservative in no time because you'll see that extreme liberalism and big Government does not work! For a state with such a large economy we are constantly flirting with bankruptcy, that should tell you something.
I wouldn't say it exactly evens out...

My friend & ex co worker of mine who moved to Texas (Houston) from Cali. (San Jose) then moved back was living in a nice new 2 story home here in a gated community now he's in an old trailer park in Cali. because that's all he can afford.

I have another friend who is a nurse that was working at 3 different hospitals in SJ just to pay the rent on a $1,200 a month efficiency apartment. The same apartment here goes for around $500-550 a month.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top