Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2014, 11:18 AM

12,287 posts, read 9,816,866 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikBEggs View Post
Yep.. and they are in conservative states.

Did it ever occur to you that they need food stamps because they are in conservative states?

Right to starve comes to mind.
Why would something that is false occur to him?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2014, 11:29 AM

18,665 posts, read 19,964,008 times
Despite the fact it would cost me a large amount of money, I'd like to see Federal Income Taxes revised, to the tax table liability multiplied by $ your state received in the last year from the Feds/$ your state paid in Fderal Income Tax.

That would rightsize the relationship between usage of Federal $ and contributions toward Federal $.

Old 03-28-2014, 11:36 AM

78,339 posts, read 60,539,645 times
Quote:
The town with the highest rate of SNAP usage is in rural Kentucky, and is 95% Republican. I mean, why help the people who need welfare the most? Let em starve.

..what does this map tell you?
It tells me you never got a degree in statistics or understand the concept of covariance.

Hint: Your underlying assumption is that the states overal voting is homogenous as well as it's citizens political orientation. Most states don't work that way as they have urban\rural splits and trying to do "analysis" at a state level like that is like watching someone claiming to create fine cuisine by making mud pies.

Last edited by Mathguy; 03-28-2014 at 11:46 AM..

Old 03-28-2014, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by borregokid View Post
Heres another more recent article showing that the red states have their hands deep into the pockets of Uncle Sam. I dont think you can be a Tea Partier without taking at least one government benefit or tax free disablity.

GOP States Are The Most Dependent On Government
Let me know when you figure out the difference between the federal govt. spending a billion dollars in a rural state to build a nuclear waste dump, maintain the interstates, put in nuclear missle silos etc.........and giving out disability $$$.

Really, partisan bickering I'm all for....knock each other out.

However, gross innumeracy and other statistical abuse I like to refute as a public service to education.

Old 03-28-2014, 11:45 AM

4,412 posts, read 3,957,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
Just a few thoughts on what the map tells me.

Despite the vast Coal wealth in West Virginia it is still a poor state so what the hell is going on there.
Resource extraction economies rarely benefit the larger population beyond the wages getting paid directly to the workers. The capital is largely owned and reinvested by individuals living near the company HQ. So for WV a good portion of the coal wealth ended up in Richmond and Pittsburgh.

Plus resource economies rarely produce much of anything other than raw materials, so a culture of entrepreneurship and wealth creation isn't as prevalent.

Quote:
Florida should be a lot wealthier than it is on the map but I have seen many retirees who think they can afford Florida and it becomes a "albatross" when they get here and realize how expensive our state is.

Florida is no longer a "cheap" state even without a personal Income tax.
Being poor is expensive.

Old 03-28-2014, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
Despite the fact it would cost me a large amount of money, I'd like to see Federal Income Taxes revised, to the tax table liability multiplied by $ your state received in the last year from the Feds/$ your state paid in Fderal Income Tax.

That would rightsize the relationship between usage of Federal $ and contributions toward Federal $.
So, you'd build a federal nuclear waste disposal in a state like New Mexico and then jack up their taxes because they had to spend money to build it and store the waste there?

P.S. You just murdered the interestate highway system.

Old 03-28-2014, 11:53 AM

18,665 posts, read 19,964,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
So, you'd build a federal nuclear waste disposal in a state like New Mexico and then jack up their taxes because they had to spend money to build it and store the waste there?
Yes, I would, since building it created local jobs, which added to their local GDP. Imagine now people would be paying for their own "Bridges to Nowhere", for their own poverty prone regions depending on Federal $.

Old 03-28-2014, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
Yes, I would, since building it created local jobs, which added to their local GDP. Imagine now people would be paying for their own "Bridges to Nowhere", for their own poverty prone regions depending on Federal $.
Think about it a little harder Bob, where is the compensation for having that crap buried in their lands?
Also, those dumps have enormous building costs and are often built using out of state labor, federal contractors etc. They aren't all big economic booms.

What about other "public goods" like an airforce base in Missouri. So, you'd tax the heck out of Missouri because they got the base but wait a second....you'd want to use those planes to help protect the interests of oh....Vermont?

Hey, I hear your points about all the pork etc. but your proposal isn't going to fix that.

P.S. Did you know they assign the federal crop subsidies to the state where the land is even if the landholder is a billionaire living in Manhattan? Sooooo, these types of analysis would credit NY for paying federal tax in from this guy but would assign the federal payment to the rural state. There are so many flaws in this methodology it's really more of a teaching moment than anything.

Old 03-28-2014, 12:38 PM

3,326 posts, read 8,858,234 times
Quote:
The town with the highest rate of SNAP usage is in rural Kentucky, and is 95% Republican. I mean, why help the people who need welfare the most? Let em starve.

..what does this map tell you?
One town in rural Kentucky. Wow.

Okay, but as someone who has lived ALL over the south I can say with absolute certainty that the vast majority of welfare recipients in those red states vote Democratic if at all. No doubt in my mind whatsoever. I've known a few of them personally and am even related to some.

Most in red states would welcome the reduction in federal aid, except for perhaps the politicians who made them that way.
DO NOT forget that these red states are considered red because of one thing: presidential elections. Otherwise, many of them have democratic congressman bringing in the federal dough. Although republicans don't exactly turn the money down, they are by no means the only culprit.

Then there is the generational poverty that has existed in those places longer before the modern day liberal-conservative rhetoric, and long before they (those states as a whole) ever voted Republican. There is a whole lot more going on there than what political silliness and child's play could ever hope to fix.

Last edited by northbound74; 03-28-2014 at 01:00 PM..

Old 03-28-2014, 12:48 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,704,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
The truth is minorities (who tend to vote Democrat) are more likely to be on welfare than whites. Sorry if the truth is racist.
Truth is, people on welfare don't vote much at all!

File:Voter Turnout by Income, 2008 US Presidential Election.png - Wikimedia Commons
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies