Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2014, 08:33 AM

17,795 posts, read 13,692,692 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
You don't understand percents? Perhaps you should take a remedial math course. There are 38 million people in California. There are more people in every category you could come up with in California.
California QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

PERCENT is what matters!
Let me explain this in more simple terms so our sub-genius friend can get a grasp on this.

California has roughly 3 million people on welfare which is indeed the most in the country by far. (this he gets)

California's welfare recipients constitute 33% of the country's total number of welfare recipients. (this he gets also)

(This is what he does NOT get)

California has 35 million people who are NOT on welfare.

California ranks number 1 in the nation by far in the number of people who are NOT on welfare.

California has more people NOT on welfare than the entire population of any other state in the country.

The #2 state of Texas would have to increase it's population by roughly 1/3 (9 Million) to have a total population equivilent to the number of people in California who are NOT on welfare.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2014, 08:35 AM

10,216 posts, read 8,118,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
No, I didn't. You just want to reframe it in statistics which is meaningless because all that matters is the sheer volume of the number of those receiving welfare benefits. Welfare recipients overwhelmingly live in BLUE states. There is no disputing that fact.
It was reframed because blue states are generally more populous...

However, whats your excuse for the large intake of federal funds from rural red states?

Quote:
And to add insult to injury, BLUE states also have the most income inequality.
Study: Income Inequality Most Pronounced in Blue States

How's that BLUE government and mentality working out for the poor? Hmmm...?!? Not so well. Think about that...
There won't be much income inequality in rural areas because there isn't much income there..... Look where the highest poverty is..... in rural areas..... The south is still overall poor after centuries of conservative rule.....

Quote:
Oh, and just so you know... trapping poor and inner-city kids in public schools because Democrats oppose vouchers isn't working out so well for the poor, either.

Waiting for Superman Official Trailer - YouTube
There are democrats who support vouchers... stopping generalizing everything and you won't look so ignorant.

Old 03-29-2014, 08:41 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:

Oh, and just so you know... trapping poor and inner-city kids in public schools because Democrats oppose vouchers isn't working out so well for the poor, either.
Tell me you're not moving the goalposts NOW! Youtube? Your credibility (or lack thereof) is showing.

Old 03-29-2014, 08:44 AM

18,461 posts, read 7,089,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
The truth is a lie.. lol.

I lived in Rural Kentucky and worked at a University. I went to a town meeting filled with whites. The Governor stood up and said "we got on welfare and we never got off"

The whole room collectively agreed.

I'll never forget that day because it was the first time a room full of white people admitted to being on welfare.

My wife and I are black and we NEVER thought for one second to get on welfare because we were raised differently. Hell, growing up there were times I WISH my mother got over her pride because we had little to eat. Thank goodness for family and churches.

Theres a lot of truth in this.

How you are raised has a much greater influence on your work ethic than your race or political persuasion.

My grandparents raised 5 kids during the depression on little more than the wages my grandfather earned working in a shoe factory and the help of family.
They never considered taking any type of government assistance, to them it was simply a matter of pride.

Of course back then there was less sense of entitlement and people did not feel the need to spend money on frivilous things like the latest cell phone or whatever.
People were happy to have a roof over their heads and food on the table.

Old 03-29-2014, 08:48 AM

89,006 posts, read 44,824,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dv1033 View Post
It was reframed because blue states are generally more populous...
And in addition to that, many more BLUE states have the higher percentages of welfare recipients. The list:

The National Conference of State Legislatures (NCSL) surveyed state and Washington, D.C. governments. Using the most current information, NCSL then compared the total number of recipients of TANF to the overall state and D.C. populations. The ranking of the 15 highest:

1. California
2. Maine
3. Tennessee
4. Massachusetts
5. Vermont
6. District of Columbia
7. New York
8. Minnesota
9. Washington
Tie-10. New Mexico
Tie-10. Indiana
12. Rhode Island
13. Michigan
14. Pennsylvania
15. Oregon

The Biggest US Welfare States

Quote:
There are democrats who support vouchers...
Not enough to make a difference in poor students' lives. Get busy. Change that! Stop trapping kids in schools in which they're not learning!!!!!

Old 03-29-2014, 08:49 AM

10,190 posts, read 7,954,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikBEggs View Post
Yep.. and they are in conservative states.

Did it ever occur to you that they need food stamps because they are in conservative states?

Right to starve comes to mind.

Really? My God. The ignorance is astounding.

Old 03-29-2014, 08:52 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
Too bad all the agricultural, mining, oil extraction and timber companies in the Red States never had the pride to refuse government subsidies and corporate welfare. Eliminating just these payment would probably pay for the kind of welfare that actually feeds and houses kids in the rest of the country.

FWIW - Food Stamps are not to just feed kids. they are also to provide a minimum marker for the corporate farmers to dump their excess crops.

Old 03-29-2014, 08:52 AM

89,006 posts, read 44,824,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty011 View Post
It's either blatant ignorance, or flat out denial so they don't have to feel bad about voting for the Democrat policy of keeping as many people as dumb and as poor as possible to maximize votes for the Democrat party. Take your pick.

Old 03-29-2014, 08:57 AM

Quote:
And in addition to that, many more BLUE states have the higher percentages of welfare recipients. The list:

The National Conference of State Legislatures (NCSL) surveyed state and Washington, D.C. governments. Using the most current information, NCSL then compared the total number of recipients of TANF to the overall state and D.C. populations. The ranking of the 15 highest:

1. California
2. Maine
3. Tennessee
4. Massachusetts
5. Vermont
6. District of Columbia
7. New York
8. Minnesota
9. Washington
Tie-10. New Mexico
Tie-10. Indiana
12. Rhode Island
13. Michigan
14. Pennsylvania
15. Oregon
But red state's are the largest recipient of federal dollars.......

But the south is still the poorest region of the country and it is majority conservative....

This is a complicated issue that goes beyond liberal vs conservative..... Why are you just looking at social welfare instead of the total amount of federal dollars?

Blue states are more urban and will have more wealth and more inequality due to the nature of urban areas. On the other hand, rural areas have little wealth and overall poor, therefore less inequality.

Old 03-29-2014, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty011 View Post
Again..... look at the south...... It is only recently that the south has become invested in, as it has become industrialized in certain areas such as manufacturing and trade. Yet the south is still overall poor and conservative as it has been for centuries....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies