Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2014, 02:31 PM

13,303 posts, read 7,870,141 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Draper View Post
No self respecting anarchist would vote for any of the two major parties. Heck, no self respecting libertarian would vote for either.
A libertarian, by definition, is self-respecting.

You are being redundant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2014, 03:25 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,418,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
If you had to describe your core political philosophy in one standard length sentence what would it be?

For me it would be

"Do what ever you want, just don't ask me to pay for it."
You and me may be the only two of our kind left out here.

Old 03-27-2014, 03:28 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
You and me may be the only two of our kind left out here.
Who pays when a drug addict steals your wallet?

Old 03-27-2014, 03:41 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,008,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
Im a liberal. I dont believe government can do everything, but i do believe it can do good.
How?

Old 03-27-2014, 04:33 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,360,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
How is he either just because you say so ?

I guess i should also answer the thread question before i get reported again.

Im a liberal. I dont believe government can do everything, but i do believe it can do good.

It is not what I said it is what he himself said

Quote:
The "bigness" or "smallness" of government is one variable of measurement. It is not the only one worth entertaining.

I can tolerate public health care, education, parks, libraries, poverty relief and even some characteristically liberal nanny-statism, more than I can tolerate a government dedicated to permanent militarism, hostility toward the world community, rejection of science in favor of religious mass psychosis, enthusiasm for torture, mass incarceration and the like. Even if the second choice has a slightly lower price tag.
Now he has every right to those views, but someone who supports 'liberal nanny-statism' can hardly in the same breath call himself an anarchist. He wouldn't even be able to honestly call himself a libertarian or conservative. Again, he's a garden variety progressive. Confucius said that the beginning of wisdom is to call things by their right names.

Old 03-27-2014, 05:51 PM

1,314 posts, read 2,054,720 times
I am fiscally conservative, (mostly) socially liberal, and try to vote for people rather than politicians when possible (and it rarely is).

Old 03-27-2014, 09:36 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,479,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Now he has every right to those views, but someone who supports 'liberal nanny-statism' can hardly in the same breath call himself an anarchist.
Lucky I didn't say I "supported" that.

Old 03-27-2014, 09:46 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,479,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
How can you vote for Democrats and call yourself an anarchist? It's contradictory.
Because the alternative to the Democrats, in the real world, is a pack of evil psychopaths.

You failed to notice the "rational" in "rational anarchist." "Anarchist" means I deny that the state has any intrinsic moral authority. "Rational", to me, means accepting that the state may be an instrumental good in some cases even without possessing intrinsic moral authority. "Rational" also requires appraising one's alternatives realistically.

The Democrats mainly want to achieve ends that, in themselves, are laudable. I may often disagree with using the government to achieve them, but not, ordinarily, with the goals themselves.

The Republicans, in contrast, have goals that nobody should be pursuing--and that's being kind. Take away war fever and religious obscurantism, and the Republican Party really has no reason to exist.

Last edited by djacques; 03-27-2014 at 10:10 PM..

Old 03-27-2014, 10:04 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,822,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
Because the alternative, in the real world, is a pack of evil psychopaths.

You failed to notice the "rational" in "rational anarchist." "Anarchist" means I deny that the state has any intrinsic moral authority. "Rational", to me, means accepting that the state may be an instrumental good in some cases even without possessing intrinsic moral authority. "Rational" also requires appraising one's alternatives realistically.

The Democrats mainly want to achieve ends that, in themselves, are laudable. I may often disagree with using the government to achieve them, but not, ordinarily, with the goals themselves.

The Republicans, in contrast, have goals that nobody should be pursuing--and that's being kind. Take away war fever and religious obscurantism, and the Republican Party really has no reason to exist.
I think the republicans exist to stop the democrats.

This is how I see traditional Washington, democrats say "oooooooo shiney, let's buy that" of course they do that with every single item they see. The republicans are always "we can't afford it, we can't afford it, we can't afford it." The problem now is republicans are starting with the "oooooooooo shiney" and when both parties don't care about the debt they rack up, well, I don't have to explain the problems that will cause.

Old 03-27-2014, 10:34 PM

1,716 posts, read 2,501,354 times
Liberty ~ e pluribus unum ~ in God we trust.

(Individual liberty; from many, one = assimilation; and societal values from our Judea o-Christian foundation.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies