Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2014, 08:24 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,923,705 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by allyvip View Post

How do people like you manage to creep into adulthood without accidentally walking into traffic etc?

Fascinating creatures emerge from the dark annals of this forum.

Ad hom is all I can do here. I apologize to the board, and I'm grateful that people exist whom are patient enough to actually walk people like this through their intellectual flaws.
Hahaha amen! I don't know how people give him the time of day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2014, 06:24 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,980,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Don't like being around drunks so I don't go to parties. Damn cigarette smoke or dope smoke. Human debris go to bars.

Oh really now? I've worked in the bar industry for many years as a DJ, in addition to my 40 hour a week job. I've seen and met people from all walks of life. Some good, some bad. Is there some excess that goes on in bars? Of course. But you're painting with a broad brush here, and judging a lot of folks who like to go somewhere after work to be social, and have a drink or two.

Old 04-07-2014, 07:27 AM

6,795 posts, read 7,284,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffpv View Post
I have found that people will bend over backwards to defend substance abuse if the drug being abused is marijuana. Alcohol, tobacco, 'harder drugs', prescription drugs: There seems to be plenty of social stigma attached to abusing those drugs (particularly in certain contexts, such as drinking and driving, or cigarette smoking indoors). However, the response to heavy weed use often boils down to "well, alcohol is bad", while ignoring the fact that someone is a abusing a drug.
Have others found this to be true?
If so, what do you think the reason(s) for this is/are?
Substance use or abuse is the right of the individual. The government has no right whatsoever to tell any sovereign person what they may or may not do with regards to their own body.

To argue this point would be to admit that the government holds ownership over your person and being your owner has the power to tell you what you may and may not do to your body.

That being said, I find it curious why people would choose to use marijuana given its effects. I mean, the average American is pretty damn stupid to begin with, and getting high shaves at least 50 or so IQ points off people who cannot really afford to lose any to begin with.

Old 04-07-2014, 12:20 PM

1,262 posts, read 1,300,680 times
Default Then again, substitute "alcohol" in your statement...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhcom View Post
That being said, I find it curious why people would choose to use marijuana given its effects. I mean, the average American is pretty damn stupid to begin with, and getting high shaves at least 50 or so IQ points off people who cannot really afford to lose any to begin with.

I find it curious why people would choose to use alcohol given its effects. I mean, the average American is pretty damn stupid to begin with, and getting drunk shaves at least 50 or so IQ points off people who cannot really afford to lose any to begin with.

There I fixed it for you.

As long as it is legal where you are, cannabis is the better choice.

Old 04-08-2014, 04:29 PM

2,801 posts, read 2,308,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Anyone who voluntarily ingests a foreign substance to alter their state of mind is a moron.
You including ALL "foreign" substances? That it SOME list.

I guess you never drive on the roads, take a bath or shower, what the heck do you even eat ... at SOME level, everything is "bad" for you.

You must be single too since going out of the house is VERY dangerous.

Old 04-08-2014, 04:31 PM

2,801 posts, read 2,308,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
Oh really now? I've worked in the bar industry for many years as a DJ, in addition to my 40 hour a week job. I've seen and met people from all walks of life. Some good, some bad. Is there some excess that goes on in bars? Of course. But you're painting with a broad brush here, and judging a lot of folks who like to go somewhere after work to be social, and have a drink or two.

T-310 is what happens when the only information they get is from some DARE program or Reefer Madness movies.

Old 04-09-2014, 09:50 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,980,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyMack View Post
T-310 is what happens when the only information they get is from some DARE program or Reefer Madness movies.

Funny you mention that. My son had a DARE program at school that he had to complete. Guess what they were hammering on? Cigarettes and alcohol, which are 2 legal substances that can be purchased if the proper age requirement is met. Sure I'm OK with them educating about the potential dangers of those 2 substances as well, but they said nothing about illegal drugs, or the problem with abuse of other legal drugs. Not to mention... you know how they spin it, and nothing about moderation is ever mentioned. It's all bad, all the time.

Old 04-09-2014, 04:48 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,726,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffpv View Post
I have found that people will bend over backwards to defend substance abuse if the drug being abused is marijuana. Alcohol, tobacco, 'harder drugs', prescription drugs: There seems to be plenty of social stigma attached to abusing those drugs (particularly in certain contexts, such as drinking and driving, or cigarette smoking indoors). However, the response to heavy weed use often boils down to "well, alcohol is bad", while ignoring the fact that someone is a abusing a drug.
Have others found this to be true?
If so, what do you think the reason(s) for this is/are?
I have not found this to be true. I don't know anybody who defends "substance abuse". To me, it does not matter what the substance is, I don't support abuse.

Meanwhile, the government should not tell me what or how much I can eat, drink or smoke. Those are my decisions.

Old 04-09-2014, 04:58 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,316,291 times
People shouldn't do drugs. They may end up as President of the United States.

Old 04-09-2014, 04:58 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,726,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
Funny you mention that. My son had a DARE program at school that he had to complete. Guess what they were hammering on? Cigarettes and alcohol, which are 2 legal substances that can be purchased if the proper age requirement is met. Sure I'm OK with them educating about the potential dangers of those 2 substances as well, but they said nothing about illegal drugs, or the problem with abuse of other legal drugs. Not to mention... you know how they spin it, and nothing about moderation is ever mentioned. It's all bad, all the time.
And that's been the history of our education system and government. They consistently exaggerate and lie about substance use and abuse because the Nanny State does not think adults can make their own decisions. So they lose credibility. Kids know the schools try to scare them into not doing drugs. That only works on some kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies